WP startup difficulty

  • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 10, 2010
      Hi, Everyone.

      Have any of you had difficulties with starting WP up in recent SS builds?

      With the latest SS builds, that is, the ones from 18 or 25 October 2009,
      I often get a blank window and a spinning globe when I try to open WP,
      or open WP by double-clicking a WP document in the Finder. This
      continues indefinitely and I have to force-quit SS. Pain.

      This does not happen if I use John R.'s method of opening WP in the
      background, though as soon as I try to open a document, I get the freeze-up.

      This behavior is less likely with older builds, even the one from 4
      October 2009, although at times I need to go back to one of the 21 July
      2008 builds. I have not had any problems with starting SS itself, or
      opening other apps; ClarisWorks 4 is no problem, for example. The disk
      checks out fine, whether in Disk First Aid, or in Disk Utility when
      mounted in OSX (after shutting down SS, of course).

      I have tried removing my global OnOpenDocument macro (which sets the
      zoom to 150%) as well as getting rid of my OnStartUp macro. This did
      not change the behavior, nor did trashing the preference file or
      re-creating the Library.

      There are many macros as well as custom keystrokes in my Library, though
      this behavior would occur even with a pristine Library, before my
      putting everything back in.

      Once WP is running, it runs as well as ever. The problem is just with
      getting it started.

      I am running WP 3.5e in Mac OS 8.6 with OS 10.4.11 as the host system.
      (BTW, I do not run into this problem when running the same configuration
      in SSWin, whether on WinXP or Win2000 as the host.)

      I have suspected that this has something to do with the Font bar, which
      I set in the prefs to show automatically. If I had not set that in the
      prefs, and I click on the tab to show the Font bar, it has frozen WP.
      Also, though I don't know if this is related, not all my SpeedStyles
      show up in the SpeedStyles menu on the Font bar. If I want certain ones
      to show, I have to use the Librarian to copy them into the document I'm
      working on.

      Thanks in advance.

      Tom

      ===================================
      Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
      Licensed Clinical Psychologist
      1140 Lake Street, Suite 508
      Oak Park, IL 60301-1053
      (708) 848-1611
      fax (708) 848-1436
      tjrostaf@...
      ===================================
    • jrethorst
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 10, 2010
        I have not had this difficulty, although I am starting to wonder in general about the 25 Oct 2009 build, apparently done by someone over at emaculation.com without a lot of experience.

        It may be because I created the disk image in the current SS-WP install with SheepShaver Prefs rather than Disk Utility, but I can no longer check the image (with SheepShaver not running of course) with Disk Utility. It starts a check and immediately returns the error "Unrecognized file system".

        I'm still troubleshooting the Adobe driver, without much luck, and am going to try an earlier SS build next. If I can figure out the problem here, I might be able to fix envelope printing.

        Tom, I wonder if a corrupted font may be the culprit on your machine. I don't know why Clarisworks 4 would then work, unless it does less of a font check on startup than WP does. Do you have WP set to show fonts in the menu as they actually appear ("Graphic Font Menu" in Prefs > Environment)? If so, try disabling that option.

        John R.

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D." <TJRostaf@...> wrote:

        > Hi, Everyone.
        >
        > Have any of you had difficulties with starting WP up in recent SS builds?
        >
        > With the latest SS builds, that is, the ones from 18 or 25 October 2009,
        > I often get a blank window and a spinning globe when I try to open WP,
        > or open WP by double-clicking a WP document in the Finder. This
        > continues indefinitely and I have to force-quit SS. Pain.
        >
        > This does not happen if I use John R.'s method of opening WP in the
        > background, though as soon as I try to open a document, I get the freeze-up.
        >
        > This behavior is less likely with older builds, even the one from 4
        > October 2009, although at times I need to go back to one of the 21 July
        > 2008 builds. I have not had any problems with starting SS itself, or
        > opening other apps; ClarisWorks 4 is no problem, for example. The disk
        > checks out fine, whether in Disk First Aid, or in Disk Utility when
        > mounted in OSX (after shutting down SS, of course).
        >
        > I have tried removing my global OnOpenDocument macro (which sets the
        > zoom to 150%) as well as getting rid of my OnStartUp macro. This did
        > not change the behavior, nor did trashing the preference file or
        > re-creating the Library.
        >
        > There are many macros as well as custom keystrokes in my Library, though
        > this behavior would occur even with a pristine Library, before my
        > putting everything back in.
        >
        > Once WP is running, it runs as well as ever. The problem is just with
        > getting it started.
        >
        > I am running WP 3.5e in Mac OS 8.6 with OS 10.4.11 as the host system.
        > (BTW, I do not run into this problem when running the same configuration
        > in SSWin, whether on WinXP or Win2000 as the host.)
        >
        > I have suspected that this has something to do with the Font bar, which
        > I set in the prefs to show automatically. If I had not set that in the
        > prefs, and I click on the tab to show the Font bar, it has frozen WP.
        > Also, though I don't know if this is related, not all my SpeedStyles
        > show up in the SpeedStyles menu on the Font bar. If I want certain ones
        > to show, I have to use the Librarian to copy them into the document I'm
        > working on.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Tom
        >
        > ===================================
        > Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
        > Licensed Clinical Psychologist
        > 1140 Lake Street, Suite 508
        > Oak Park, IL 60301-1053
        > (708) 848-1611
        > fax (708) 848-1436
        > tjrostaf@...
        > ===================================

      • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 11, 2010
          Thank you, John. I had tried disabling the Graphic Font Menu option, as
          well as turning off Adobe Type Reunion, which I have used for years
          along with Adobe Type Manager Deluxe, thinking that maybe the graphic
          font menu generated by ATR might conflict with WP's own display. This
          made no difference.

          Today I ran the Verify function in ATM and found a few problematic
          fonts, and removed them. One was in the System Folder. I just now
          restarted SS using that latest 25 Oct 2009 build, then restated WP, and
          it started without a hitch, and hopefully will continue to work. John,
          you have again found the problem and saved the day.

          > I wonder if a corrupted font may be the culprit on your machine. I
          > don't know why Clarisworks 4 would then work, unless it does less of
          > a font check on startup than WP does. Do you have WP set to show
          > fonts in the menu as they actually appear ("Graphic Font Menu" in
          > Prefs > Environment)? If so, try disabling that option.

          BTW, I had to stop using the Adobe PS driver some time ago. It tended
          to stop SS in its tracks -- SS would either freeze, or just quit without
          warning. LW8 has worked well for me ever since.

          > I'm still troubleshooting the Adobe driver, without much luck, and am
          > going to try an earlier SS build next. If I can figure out the
          > problem here, I might be able to fix envelope printing.

          Thank you again. Tom
        • jrethorst
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 12, 2010
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D." <TJRostaf@...> wrote:

            > Today I ran the Verify function in ATM and found a few problematic
            > fonts, and removed them. One was in the System Folder. I just now
            > restarted SS using that latest 25 Oct 2009 build, then restated WP, and
            > it started without a hitch, and hopefully will continue to work. John,
            > you have again found the problem and saved the day.

            Tom, your report here that SymLink worked with SheepShaver was major news, since we now have seamless access from the SS/Unix disk to our entire OSX hard disk(s). Thanks for your kind words, but I think we're both just doing right by WP.

            > BTW, I had to stop using the Adobe PS driver some time ago. It tended
            > to stop SS in its tracks -- SS would either freeze, or just quit without
            > warning. LW8 has worked well for me ever since.

            There seems to have been enough trouble with the Adobe driver that I'm thinking of just leaving it out of the next SS/WP build, in favor of LW8. The latter does require the single extra step of choosing Print to File, and I don't know how to hack the driver to make that the default. Would any of the tech-savvy people here like to look at it? A copy is in the Files section here, as LaserWriter_8.6.1.smi.bin.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 12, 2010
              John,

              Which extra step do you mean? If you use the Desktop Printer Utility to create a printer "with LaserWriter8" and select "Translator (PostScript)", the printer defaults to saving as a file. The user will have to edit the printer once to specify the correct directory in the Unix disk on the user's system. After that, to print, you simply press Ctrl-P, Enter, Enter.

              I haven't been able to get AdobePS to print in SheepShaver-WP-1.2.3 for a while, but are you suggesting that you all you need to do with AdobePS is Ctrl-P, Enter (without the second press of Enter)? If so, then just ignore what I wrote in the preceding paragraph.

              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, jrethorst <no_reply@...> wrote:
              > There seems to have been enough trouble with the Adobe driver that I'm thinking of just leaving it out of the next SS/WP build, in favor of LW8. The latter does require the single extra step of choosing Print to File, and I don't know how to hack the driver to make that the default. Would any of the tech-savvy people here like to look at it? A copy is in the Files section here, as LaserWriter_8.6.1.smi.bin.
              >
              > John R.

            • jrethorst
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 13, 2010
                Ed, as usual you're one step ahead of me. Thanks.