Re: [wpmac] Re: Next release of SheepShaver-WordPerfect install

  • Steve Kane
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 1, 2010
      On Jul 1, 2010, at 9:16 AM, jrethorst wrote:

      >> Now "Open WP Files" works but the printing function doesn't. When I
      >> try to print, a window appears saying "the printer description file
      >> associated with this printer caused an error" and then both
      >> WordPerfect and SheepShaver crash.
      >
      > I'll look at that this weekend. But SheepShaver rarely crashes here.

      I am getting the same crash when attempting to print. I used EasyFind
      to locate and delete all files with SheepShaver in their name
      including the invisible .SheepShaver_Prefs" file you mention.
      Reinstalled, but getting the same crash on attempting to print.

      MacBook, 10.5.8
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 1, 2010
        Am I right in thinking that it's impossible to print an envelope using the method that sends a PDF from Sheepshaver (or Basilisk II) to OS X, and then prints the PDF? It should be possible to print an envelope from Sheepshaver when Sheepshaver connects directly to the printer across the network, without going through the step of creating a PDF, but that kind of direct connection is difficult to set up.

        John, is there any way to work around this problem and print envelopes reliably from WPMac/Sheepshaver?

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Philip Utley <putley@...> wrote:

        > I am using WordPerfect with SheepShaver Version 2.3.20091025.
        >
        > 1. I cannot get the envelope feature to work with the printer. I have been using EasyEnvelope but it does not have the old WordPerfect address memory. I can get along with EasyEnvelope but it would be nice to have the old feature working.
      • jrethorst
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 3, 2010
          I'm rebuilding printing in SS-WP, and am getting crashes with the Adobe PS driver. When I go to the Chooser and select Laserwriter 8, printing is OK. Do you have that same result?

          John R.

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane-l@...> wrote:

          > On Jul 1, 2010, at 9:16 AM, jrethorst wrote:
          >
          > >> Now "Open WP Files" works but the printing function doesn't. When I
          > >> try to print, a window appears saying "the printer description file
          > >> associated with this printer caused an error" and then both
          > >> WordPerfect and SheepShaver crash.
          > >
          > > I'll look at that this weekend. But SheepShaver rarely crashes here.
          >
          > I am getting the same crash when attempting to print. I used EasyFind
          > to locate and delete all files with SheepShaver in their name
          > including the invisible .SheepShaver_Prefs" file you mention.
          > Reinstalled, but getting the same crash on attempting to print.
          >
          > MacBook, 10.5.8

        • Steve Kane
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 3, 2010
            The Chooser appears to be missing. Where should I be looking for it?
            It is not under the Apple Menu, nor in Extensions, nor in Control
            Panels.

            On Jul 3, 2010, at 7:47 PM, jrethorst wrote:

            > I'm rebuilding printing in SS-WP, and am getting crashes with the
            > Adobe PS driver. When I go to the Chooser and select Laserwriter 8,
            > printing is OK. Do you have that same result?
            >
            > John R.
            >

            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane-l@...> wrote:

            >>> I'll look at that this weekend. But SheepShaver rarely crashes here.
            >>
            >> I am getting the same crash when attempting to print. I used EasyFind
            >> to locate and delete all files with SheepShaver in their name
            >> including the invisible .SheepShaver_Prefs" file you mention.
            >> Reinstalled, but getting the same crash on attempting to print.
            >>
            >> MacBook, 10.5.8

          • jrethorst
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 3, 2010
              It should be in the Apple menu. I've put a zipped copy of the file in
              Files > Temporary_Items here.

              John R.

              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane-l@...> wrote:

              > The Chooser appears to be missing. Where should I be looking for it?
              > It is not under the Apple Menu, nor in Extensions, nor in Control
              > Panels.
              > \
            • Steve Kane
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 3, 2010
                I installed the Chooser you uploaded into the Apple Menu Items folder.
                The LaserWriter 8 driver was not in the Extensions folder, but I
                happen to have a copy of LaserWriter 8.7.3 so I put it in the
                Extensions folder.

                I launched the Chooser holding down the command and option keys to
                clear it's cache and selected the LaserWriter 8. It complained about
                AppleTalk not being on and not being available, but accepted the change.

                I am not in the office where my printer is so I could not fully test
                printing, but attempting to print did not crash SheepShaver; just gave
                a polite message about failing to print, offering to cancel, hold, or
                try again.

                There is now a desktop printer icon for my networked Canon MX850,
                which I don't think was there before. The MX850 is the printer
                selected in the Mac OS X Print & Fax System Pane.

                Thank you, John, I'll bet it will work now.

                MacBook, 10.5.8

                On Jul 3, 2010, at 8:21 PM, jrethorst wrote:

                > It should be in the Apple menu. I've put a zipped copy of the file in
                > Files > Temporary_Items here.
                >
                > John R.
                >

                > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane-l@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> The Chooser appears to be missing. Where should I be looking for it?
                >> It is not under the Apple Menu, nor in Extensions, nor in Control
                >> Panels.
              • jrethorst
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 4, 2010
                  > I happen to have a copy of LaserWriter 8.7.3 so I put it in the
                  > Extensions folder.

                  There's also a copy, as "LaserWriter_8.6.1.smi.bin", in the Files section here.

                  John R.
                • jrethorst
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 4, 2010
                    N.B. the Laserwriter 8 and Adobe PS drivers are very similar, but the L8 requires you to choose Print to File each time you print, so the Adobe is one step more convenient.

                    I should be able to figure out what's wrong with the Adobe setup, although curious that this didn't seem to start having trouble until the most recent version of SS-WP.

                    IIRC Geoff Gilbert switched to the L8 driver sometime earlier because of trouble with the Adobe. Geoff, have you ever figured out the cause for that?

                    John R.

                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, jrethorst <no_reply@...> wrote:

                    > > I happen to have a copy of LaserWriter 8.7.3 so I put it in the
                    > > Extensions folder.
                    >
                    > There's also a copy, as "LaserWriter_8.6.1.smi.bin", in the Files section here.
                    >
                    > John R.

                  • WH
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 4, 2010
                      Don't have SS-WP configured so as to test at the moment, but offer a couple of caveats for 'thinking' (rather than telling') from my printing goober archives. Even the latest SS package released may be compromised by diff 'folks and diff gear between WP and the output end.
                      1. Steve has the crux of the issue from extensive experience with LW 8 re other compatibility issues. To avoid endless picket fences in the leap from OS 9 to current OS X, avoid frustration with the 'direct print' concept, i.e., passing the document 'through the fence'. Deliver the document file 'over the interface fence' starting with LW 8 to generate a virtual file. (Sorry, but 'tis bin so long can not recall the precise steps albeit straight forward.) Both of you have superb skills to construct a flowpath with AppleScript or 'Folder Action' tools so as to make the entire printing process quick and flexible for different equipment / users + K-I-S-S. Perhaps some constructive for the OS X side of the fence will assist.
                      2. OS X Software: Use the current OS X Preview or the excellent (free) Skim to open on the OS X side of the fence and print as desired. (Previously encountered PDF docs whence Acrobat stumbled, but these WORK.) The Adobe drivers are so problematic that entanglement is guaranteed. Likewise, long before wasting more time on Adobe printing, would try the >>>> productivity / cost value of PDF PEN if issues remain. The latter provides a wealth of editing, etc., functions which are far easier to use than Adobe-ware. Finally, (and perhaps best of all) urge your consideration of the free CUPS as your workhorse print driver irrespective of whether you have manufacturer supplied print drivers for your printer. CUPS , complete with seemingly flawless PPD, WORKS!!! A recent - - and continuing saga - - is the endless foible of HP print drivers for SL. HP was still trying with a new batch of revisions last week. i.e. What we all know from experience, ALL software interfaces in all this 'over the fence and off to printing' must be compatible. Start with CUPS on the OS X output end if feasible.
                      3. Adobe: Adobe print drivers elicit a new crop of posted complaints every couple months. From a VERY expensive lesson mandated by interaction with a professional group, Acrobat Pro is the penultimate fleece of time and $. Additionally, PDF Pen provides superb OCR and the new Abbyy OCR is a paradigm while Acrobat Pro 9 is a crash cart for OCR. I finally removed every file of Adobe goo with their failure to appropriately address security in addition to functional issues. (Yes John, not even command line beats 'Easy Find'. Grunenberg is a guru.) Have never looked back......
                      Hope this feedback augments your evident progress.
                      Bill H.

                      On Jul 3, 2010, at 8:47 PM, jrethorst wrote:

                      > I'm rebuilding printing in SS-WP, and am getting crashes with the Adobe PS driver. When I go to the Chooser and select Laserwriter 8, printing is OK. Do you have that same result?
                      >
                      > John R.
                      >
                      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane-l@...> wrote:

                      > > > I'll look at that this weekend. But SheepShaver rarely crashes here.
                      > >
                      > > I am getting the same crash when attempting to print. I used EasyFind
                      > > to locate and delete all files with SheepShaver in their name
                      > > including the invisible .SheepShaver_Prefs" file you mention.
                      > > Reinstalled, but getting the same crash on attempting to print.
                      > >
                      > > MacBook, 10.5.8

                    • w hunter jr
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 4, 2010
                        This just appeared as I worked to send some 'perspective' insight which might help. Brief, to augment:
                        1. What does the Adobe driver provide in terms of function / productivity gains over LW 8? Only the 'auto' step in Adobe driver? None should know better than you, but no option for a scripted 'one-step' for the entirety? Is the LW 8 driver amenable to a small hack such as re-ordering the driver script to effect 'Print to File' as the default action?
                        2. My comments focused on two ABSOLUTE issues with the Adobe driver:
                        - an unknown ppd encoding error from the Adobe driver can obstruct on the OS X side + prove to be frustratingly variable with diff printers midst a group such as this. (Believe..... it is NOT one problem. Worked on and off for a year ++ to solve analogous gremlins during the analogous 'Classic' phase of OS X evolution. Begrudgingly solved with LW 8 even though Adobe was "King' of postscript during that era. A foregone certainty: while you might solve for your specific needs, the Adobe drivers will trip other participants.) You and others earned accolades for this effort with SS to return WP to a modern setting. My experience (plus that of many others) suggests a need to avoid the Adobe driver and package with a flowpath advantageous with the best of current OS X drivers. Current is a MOVING TARGET if WP is to continue 'Off to the Future'. LW 8 may be an inelegant 'stone' by today's standards, but it is a rock of proven reliability.

                        - not clear to me exactly where your 'hang' occurs, but accent my general advice to eliminate some problems on the output end with CUPS in the context of: 'We should try to learn from the mistakes of others. Few live long enough to make them all by ourselves.'
                        Best,
                        Bill H.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 4, 2010
                          John

                          Never figured it out. Assumed it was some problem in my system where I'd
                          added something that no-one else had. It's somewhat reassuring (if
                          frustrating for you), therefore, to discover I am not alone. The only
                          caveat is that printing to file and then letting Preview to print will
                          not necessarily retain margins as you'd expected from WP and pictures
                          can mysteriously relocate. I still have to rely on PrintToPdf sometimes
                          - it's better at preserving the WP formatting than creating a .ps file.

                          Geoff

                          Geoff Gilbert
                          Professor of Law
                          School of Law and Human Rights Centre
                          University of Essex
                          Wivenhoe Park
                          Colchester
                          CO4 3SQ

                          Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
                          Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
                          Email: geoff (for those outside the University, add @ followed by essex.ac.uk)

                          On 04/07/2010 19:59, jrethorst wrote:

                          > N.B. the Laserwriter 8 and Adobe PS drivers are very similar, but the L8 requires you to choose Print to File each time you print, so the Adobe is one step more convenient.
                          >
                          > I should be able to figure out what's wrong with the Adobe setup, although curious that this didn't seem to start having trouble until the most recent version of SS-WP.
                          >
                          > IIRC Geoff Gilbert switched to the L8 driver sometime earlier because of trouble with the Adobe. Geoff, have you ever figured out the cause for that?
                          >
                          > John R.
                          >

                          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, jrethorst<no_reply@...> wrote:
                          >

                          >>> I happen to have a copy of LaserWriter 8.7.3 so I put it in the
                          >>> Extensions folder.
                          >>>
                          >> There's also a copy, as "LaserWriter_8.6.1.smi.bin", in the Files section here.
                          >>
                          >> John R.

                          > .

                        • jrethorst
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 4, 2010
                            Steve Kane wrote:

                            >I installed the Chooser you uploaded into the Apple Menu Items folder.
                            The LaserWriter 8 driver was not in the Extensions folder, but I
                            happen to have a copy of LaserWriter 8.7.3 so I put it in the
                            Extensions folder.
                            > . . .
                            >I'll bet it will work now.

                            Let me know, as it will help troubleshooting the Adobe driver.

                            ==========

                            Bill Hunter wrote;

                            >1. What does the Adobe driver provide in terms of function / productivity
                            gains over LW 8? Only the 'auto' step in Adobe driver? None should know better
                            than you, but no option for a scripted 'one-step' for the entirety? Is the LW 8
                            driver amenable to a small hack such as re-ordering the driver script to effect
                            'Print to File' as the default action?

                            I don't see a way to script the driver. I'll look for the hack. Thanks for the idea. BTW Bill good to see you back.

                            John R.
                          • WH
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 4, 2010
                              John -
                              Don't see an easy way to respond personally, so the 'party line' is free to listen in....... (Grew up in VERY rural environs, thus know all about 8 people listening into every call I made to a girlfriend.)

                              Thanks for the 'welcome back' note albeit that in various ways, I never left.

                              #1. I was mentally fatigued from all the talking-heads pontificating minus any semblance of wisdom. The List began to threaten the peaceful sleep of even Sir Francis...... As we know, a plethora of SUPERB word processing software and ancillary apps integrated for PRODUCTIVITY suddenly presented constructive and creative alternatives for WP Mac. Whence, the question evolved more to what type of hammer is optimum for a given 'nail' rather than some rant or opine re the 'Best' and endless arguments over the silly.

                              #2. Even a Ferrari fails to offer a ride when the tires are flat, i.e. Jobs has been a force with vision re 'Where do you REALLY want to go' rather than an endless email / public debate rant. Those still stuck with the 20th Century concept of the all-in-all word processor have 'flat tires'.

                              Re these two points:
                              1. Thinking linked with communicating: I lauded your intended therein a post of the recent NYT article re Apple. Then.......... almost crawled back into the shadows as the rant ensued rather than building upon wisdom. Each to their own, but perceive a pontification re burning rubber with their old 'Blue and White' Mac to generate only a black mark on the pavement of WP for a productive environment. The ARROW OF TIME is uni-dimensional...... FORWARD. Need I say more??? Despite your distributiona of the excellent journalism. I can not be the only one who 'crouches in the corner' when the INBOX fills with trivial responses to your efforts. Refer members whom thus lust to Twitter.

                              "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." (Believe thus was from Plato.)

                              2. WP is NOT.....: WP is NOT to become a reincarnated tour de force. AMEN. Nothing 'half-bakes' a goose quicker than self-marketing which fails to deliver the tender meat of it all. Complete with the 'Apple in the kitchen', the modern Mac odor is resplendent with Apple-X. OTOH, objective assessment certifies WP to be a PRODUCTIVITY tool if the advocates offer facts and function. Nothing from the OS 9 era is better than the OS serving as the foundation, ipso facto. That you and others invested to provide a 'functional' OS emulator via SS deserves kudos from those experienced with WP, especially those burdened with a vast legacy of OS 9 files generated in WP - - - e.g. me. Plain and simple: I credit and appreciate your efforts to energize WP Mac within the context of the modern OS 10.6 Mac, versatility in a tool bag rather than only a 'best' word processor. Your collective efforts have enriched many.

                              Now, how can the collective efforts continue to enhance this 'market position' for WP? First, maintain a realistic perspective on what WP can and, better yet, can not do, midst this entirely different era of options for communication (not just 'typing'). Reflecting on such, I strongly suggest a focus on software / OS issues which restrain the current use of WP Mac as a synergistic and specialized tool rather than the 'best' via a bullhorn. In this context, I sent a couple of emails today (which have yet to appear) focused on 'How to first ask the question re the printing issues.' You will note that I avoided any knee-jerk tithe of 'THE' solution. Funny that I took this approach when the thread was gelling for 'THE ANSWER'. Geoff restoreth my soul........ l had no more than posted an overview emphasizing: ONE SOLUTION DOES NOT EXIST FOR THIS PRINTING ISSUE, dba 'Adobe driver', etc. I did offer several factors and practical solutions - - - starting with CUPS - - whence the individual can tailor their creative solution. Geoff cited the formatting issue in an older document which is intractably linked to the root / ppd for your issue(s). Each to their own, but NOTHING is more of a time waste than trying to deal with a distorted format while trying to print an older document. This was one of the major issues I tried to address which evolved into an assessment that LW 8 is the Gold Standard for OS 9 printing. Cited problems are like genetics, "variable penetrance". Don't waste time on finding an 'ideal' solution. (Perhaps you can recall the specifics, but remember that ~ LW v. 8.6 was a benchmark in polishing that print driver, especially for format preservation issues. At least for Geoff, suggest using the 'newest' LW 8 driver available - - - 8.7 ??. I have a complete set of the OS 9 software and will search if a desired.) It amazes me how poorly even the local Apple gurus - - many of whom are UNIX Geeks - - understand the importance of the end printer hardware driver in this conundrum and the priceless value of CUPS - - which Apple now owns and supports as open source. Believe...... you can drive the document out of OS 9 with the smoothest B & J milkshake, but unless coupled with the driver for the specific printer being used, WP will get 'blamed' for the distortions or non-print. For OS 10.5 or later, first install the latest version of CUPS. Finally, I am, amazed at the lack of anyone mentioning the SIMPLE for old documents which perplex. Copy and Paste into one of many OS X applications including PDF Pen is cheaper than aspirin and quicker than a search for the bottle. BELIEVE...... Despite unreserved respect for your talents and HARD WORK, not even John Rethorst will solve all these printing goobers. Offer yourself, Geoff and the entire group a 'reference list', pathways for going around the brick printer wall rather than head crashing - - - WP will thrive, but printing is essential.

                              You are unlikely to hear other than silence from me re the 'cookbook' solutions. The power of the WWW. to MacIntiouch, etc., etc. negates any value of time required to re-type. OTOH, your unique value is in continued LEADERSHIP and CREATIVITY for customized solutions using a paradigm tool employed intelligently rather than as the once and former 'Ultimate Monkey Wrench'. . Shall be pleased to offer where I can help. For the nth time...... Kudos.

                              Best,
                              Bill

                              ADDENDUM: Have not done 'open chest surgery' on an OS 9 file in years so I'm not the one to ask. OTOH, I do this type of thing with OS X on a routine basis. In this case would be optimistic that the optional code for printing to a virtual file can be moved / substituted for the 'default' Print command. Loss of many productive hours says that for 'off to the future', avoid the Adobe driver.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 5, 2010
                                John,

                                I haven't been able to get Adobe PS to work with SheepShaver for months - crashes every time. LaserWriter8 works, and the virtual printer can be set by hand to default to sending the output file to the correct folder in OS X. Unfortunately, the user has to set the default folder by hand, at least on the 7.5.5-based system that I've been working with.

                                I wish it were possible to get the Adobe PS driver to work, but I don't see any way to do it. Like you, I can't imagine why it's stopped working.

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 5, 2010
                                  Let me eat my words. I found a SheepShaver setup on my disk based on OS 8.6, in which Adobe PS successfully sends printer output to a file on OS X. I don't have WordPerfect on that setup, however, so I don't know if WordPerfect itself is getting in the way.