Re: [wpmac] Re:[OT] Long an Upstart, Apple Plays New Role: Goliath (NY Times)

  • Frank Mitchell
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 25, 2010
      Hello Chad

      >IMHO - it's Apple's fault.
      >
      >snip
      >
      >It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Apple is purposefully sabotaging Flash.

      So what do you think Apple might expect to gain from that?

      Saw on TV today that one of our illustrious senators is suggesting that
      the oil spill might have been deliberately caused by Obama.

      -- Frank Mitchell, Scottsdale, Arizona
    • Chad Smith
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 25, 2010
        Well, a lot, actually.

        On the iP_____'s specifically, by keeping Flash off the devices, they have
        killed a *TON* of competition.

        Who would buy episodes of "The Office" from the iTunes store, if they could
        fire up Hulu and watch them for free?

        Who would pay 99� for a game (1/2 or 1/3 of which goes to Apple, not the
        developers) when the *exact same game* is free online in Flash?

        Who would get an iAd supported game (all the money goes to Apple) if the
        exact same game is free online Flash?

        Or a very similar game is online for free in Flash.... One of the biggest
        games for the iP___s has been Fieldrunners - Desktop Tower Defense has been
        free online for years - but it is in Flash.

        How much money do you think Apple will make from the Farmville app?
        Farmville is free and full-featured in Flash online.

        All these things that are free in Flash are for sale, or Apple iAd supported
        in the App Store / iTunes. The App Store is a MULTI-MILLION (if not
        BILLION) dollar business.

        Now, all these things still hold true on a Mac with a crashing Flash. If
        Hulu crashes my MacBook - I might break down and buy that episode on iTunes.
        If Pandora is stuttering, I might buy some mp3s from iTunes instead.

        They have a *LOT* to gain. Millions and millions of dollars.

        - Chad W Smith

        On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Frank Mitchell <fmitchel@...> wrote:

        > Hello Chad
        >

        > >IMHO - it's Apple's fault.
        > >
        > >snip
        >

        > >It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Apple is purposefully sabotaging Flash.
        >
        > So what do you think Apple might expect to gain from that?
        >
        > Saw on TV today that one of our illustrious senators is suggesting that
        > the oil spill might have been deliberately caused by Obama.
        >
        > -- Frank Mitchell, Scottsdale, Arizona

      • Rick Albright
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 25, 2010
          Oh, come on! This is conspiracy theory nonsense. (Let's put Steve Jobs on the grassy knoll!) And BTW, what does it have to do with WordPerfect? The last time I checked, that was the subject of this list.

          Rick Albright

          On Jun 25, 2010, at 5:28 PM, Chad Smith wrote:

          > Well, a lot, actually.
          >
          > On the iP_____'s specifically, by keeping Flash off the devices, they have
          > killed a *TON* of competition.
          >
          > Who would buy episodes of "The Office" from the iTunes store, if they could
          > fire up Hulu and watch them for free?
          >
          > Who would pay 99¢ for a game (1/2 or 1/3 of which goes to Apple, not the
          > developers) when the *exact same game* is free online in Flash?
          >
          > Who would get an iAd supported game (all the money goes to Apple) if the
          > exact same game is free online Flash?
          >
          > Or a very similar game is online for free in Flash.... One of the biggest
          > games for the iP___s has been Fieldrunners - Desktop Tower Defense has been
          > free online for years - but it is in Flash.
          >
          > How much money do you think Apple will make from the Farmville app?
          > Farmville is free and full-featured in Flash online.
          >
          > All these things that are free in Flash are for sale, or Apple iAd supported
          > in the App Store / iTunes. The App Store is a MULTI-MILLION (if not
          > BILLION) dollar business.
          >
          > Now, all these things still hold true on a Mac with a crashing Flash. If
          > Hulu crashes my MacBook - I might break down and buy that episode on iTunes.
          > If Pandora is stuttering, I might buy some mp3s from iTunes instead.
          >
          > They have a *LOT* to gain. Millions and millions of dollars.
          >
          > - Chad W Smith
          >
          > On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Frank Mitchell <fmitchel@...> wrote:
          >

          >> Hello Chad
          >>

          >>> IMHO - it's Apple's fault.
          >>>
          >>> snip
          >>

          >>> It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Apple is purposefully sabotaging Flash.
          >>
          >> So what do you think Apple might expect to gain from that?
          >>
          >> Saw on TV today that one of our illustrious senators is suggesting that
          >> the oil spill might have been deliberately caused by Obama.
          >>
          >> -- Frank Mitchell, Scottsdale, Arizona

          “No dark sarcasm in the classroom”
          --Roger Waters, “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2”
          from Pink Floyd, The Wall
          Rick Albright
          logres@...
        • Chad Smith
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 25, 2010
            WPMAC - WordPerfect *MAC*

            Antitrust laws exist because of hundreds of proven conspiracies.

            - Chad W Smith
            "I like a man who's middle name is W." - President George W. Bush - February
            10, 2003 bit.ly/gwb-dubya

          • Chad Smith
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 25, 2010
              A company with a virtual monopoly on a given market share purposefully
              breaking other people's websites/apps with their own software to gain a
              tighter hold on control of their users...?

              Yeah - that could never happen.

              On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Chad Smith <chad78@...> wrote:

              > WPMAC - WordPerfect *MAC*
              >
              > Antitrust laws exist because of hundreds of proven conspiracies.
              >
              > - Chad W Smith
              > "I like a man who's middle name is W." - President George W. Bush -
              > February 10, 2003 bit.ly/gwb-dubya
              >

              > On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 9:42 PM, Rick Albright <logres@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Oh, come on! This is conspiracy theory nonsense. (Let's put Steve Jobs on
              >> the grassy knoll!) And BTW, what does it have to do with WordPerfect? The
              >> last time I checked, that was the subject of this list.
              >>
              >> Rick Albright
              >>
              >> On Jun 25, 2010, at 5:28 PM, Chad Smith wrote:
              >>
              >> > Well, a lot, actually.
              >> >
              >> > On the iP_____'s specifically, by keeping Flash off the devices, they
              >> have
              >> > killed a *TON* of competition.
              >> >
              >> > Who would buy episodes of "The Office" from the iTunes store, if they
              >> could
              >> > fire up Hulu and watch them for free?
              >> >
              >> > Who would pay 99� for a game (1/2 or 1/3 of which goes to Apple, not the
              >> > developers) when the *exact same game* is free online in Flash?
              >> >
              >> > Who would get an iAd supported game (all the money goes to Apple) if the
              >> > exact same game is free online Flash?
              >> >
              >> > Or a very similar game is online for free in Flash.... One of the
              >> biggest
              >> > games for the iP___s has been Fieldrunners - Desktop Tower Defense has
              >> been
              >> > free online for years - but it is in Flash.
              >> >
              >> > How much money do you think Apple will make from the Farmville app?
              >> > Farmville is free and full-featured in Flash online.
              >> >
              >> > All these things that are free in Flash are for sale, or Apple iAd
              >> supported
              >> > in the App Store / iTunes. The App Store is a MULTI-MILLION (if not
              >> > BILLION) dollar business.
              >> >
              >> > Now, all these things still hold true on a Mac with a crashing Flash.
              >> If
              >> > Hulu crashes my MacBook - I might break down and buy that episode on
              >> iTunes.
              >> > If Pandora is stuttering, I might buy some mp3s from iTunes instead.
              >> >
              >> > They have a *LOT* to gain. Millions and millions of dollars.
              >> >
              >> > - Chad W Smith

              >> Flash.

              >> �No dark sarcasm in the classroom�
              >> --Roger Waters, �Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2�
              >> from Pink Floyd, The Wall
              >> Rick Albright
              >> logres@...

            • ordhaj
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 26, 2010
                I have to agree. Flash may be buggy (and so may anything else), but no process should be able to bring down an operating system. If it can, there's a problem with the OS design. I use Windows at work and PaintShopPro consistently brings down the graphics driver. It shouldn't be fiddling with it, of course, but the OS shouldn't allow it to.

                And, as for the person who talked of dancing monitors, that's not a problem with Flash, but with how its used. To ban flash because of banner ads, etc., would be like banning GIFs or HTML for the same reason.

                ________________________________
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 26, 2010
                  Hello Chad,

                  Fair enough. I wasn't aware of any of that - I'm not into games anyway.

                  Sounds very much like one of Microsoft's tactics.

                  Thanks,
                  Frank

                  >Well, a lot, actually.
                  >
                  >On the iP_____'s specifically, by keeping Flash off the devices, they have
                  >killed a *TON* of competition.
                  >
                  >Who would buy episodes of "The Office" from the iTunes store, if they could
                  >fire up Hulu and watch them for free?
                  >
                  >Who would pay 99¢ for a game (1/2 or 1/3 of which goes to Apple, not the
                  >developers) when the *exact same game* is free online in Flash?
                  >
                  >Who would get an iAd supported game (all the money goes to Apple) if the
                  >exact same game is free online Flash?
                  >
                  >Or a very similar game is online for free in Flash.... One of the biggest
                  >games for the iP___s has been Fieldrunners - Desktop Tower Defense has been
                  >free online for years - but it is in Flash.
                  >
                  >How much money do you think Apple will make from the Farmville app?
                  > Farmville is free and full-featured in Flash online.
                  >
                  >All these things that are free in Flash are for sale, or Apple iAd supported
                  >in the App Store / iTunes. The App Store is a MULTI-MILLION (if not
                  >BILLION) dollar business.
                  >
                  >Now, all these things still hold true on a Mac with a crashing Flash. If
                  >Hulu crashes my MacBook - I might break down and buy that episode on iTunes.
                  > If Pandora is stuttering, I might buy some mp3s from iTunes instead.
                  >
                  >They have a *LOT* to gain. Millions and millions of dollars.
                  >
                  >- Chad W Smith
                  >
                  >On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Frank Mitchell <fmitchel@...> wrote:
                  >

                  >> Hello Chad
                  >>

                  >> >IMHO - it's Apple's fault.
                  >> >
                  >> >snip
                  >>

                  >> >It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Apple is purposefully sabotaging Flash.
                  >>
                  >> So what do you think Apple might expect to gain from that?

                  -- Frank Mitchell, Scottsdale, Arizona
                • Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 26, 2010
                    I too am not into games. Based on my experience on my computers both
                    Macs (but both PPC Computers) I couldn't use them any way. When Flash
                    works they act like older Satellite antennas that were affect by rain or
                    snow. Freezes, stuttering sound, constant loading of content. When they
                    don't work I have crashes of applications using. and I have had flash
                    content to bring down system as well.

                    Like I said. Adobe got their start as a result of creating applications
                    for Mac. (Pdf came out a year before it came out on PC's ATM for Font
                    control on the old 680xx Motorola Processor.

                    --
                    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
                    616 Liberty Street Martinsville, Va 24112-1809
                    Phone: 276-632-5045 Cell: 276-732-7781 Fax: 276-632-0868
                    http://www.phillipmjones.net mailto:pjones1@...
                  • David Schmalz
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 26, 2010
                      Since this off-topic topic is so popular, I'll mention that I
                      alleviated my Flash problems on my PPC Mac by installing a program
                      called Clicktoflash. It was a free download, as I recall. Whenever
                      Flash content appears on a page, it just has a button instead of the
                      content. If you want to see it, you click the button. It sure makes
                      web pages filled with ads load faster, and it cuts way down on
                      crashes. For sites like YouTube, it also presents the option of
                      viewing the videos in H.264 instead of Flash.

                      David