Re: [wpmac] Re:[OT] Long an Upstart, Apple Plays New Role: Goliath (NY Times)

  • Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 24, 2010
      Flash has always caused problems on the Mac even back when it was a tool
      fro Macromedia.

      I don't see Jobs or the Mac system engineers deliberately causing a
      problem for years, that's just dumb logic. Jobs has been relatively
      patient. he ben waiting 10 years or more for MacrMedia then adobe to fix
      the problem.

      What time it doesn't crash it stops and stutters like a scratched CD or
      DVD. having skips and stutters for one thing the Cache file is just not
      large enough.

      I even use a smattering of flash on my website but its a very small file
      with no music or sound effects. When they get large and with sound then
      thing get hairy.

      Chad Smith wrote:

      > Flash doesn't crash other OSes - just Mac.
      >
      > To me, I have to ask - is that a bug with Flash, or with Mac. IMHO - it's
      > Apple's fault.
      >
      > I actually didn't have a problem with Flash until the recent slew of updates
      > that came out from Apple (IE - *after* the war of words between Jobs and
      > Adobe).
      >
      > It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Apple is purposefully sabotaging Flash.
      >
      > Flash is an awesome tool. It can be overdone, of course. Just like
      > anything. But when used well, it provides user experiences that no other
      > tool can.
      >
      > - Chad W Smith
      > "I like a man who's middle name is W." - President George W. Bush - February
      > 10, 2003 bit.ly/gwb-dubya
      >
      > On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. <
      > pjones1@... <mailto:pjones1%40kimbanet.com>> wrote:
      >

      > > I find any crash I have with browsers are "all" caused by Flash.
      > >
      > > I went to two sites fellow was bragging because it was 100% Flash. And
      > > each I had the first system Crash I've had on a Mac in 10 years or more.
      > > It not only Crashed the browser it crashed the OS. Just to make sure it
      > > wasn't a Fluke, I went to both again and repeated the same behavior.
      > >
      > > I went back and reported the finding to the fellow and he got quiet in a
      > > hurry.
      > >

      > > David Patterson wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Not to defend any sort of monopolistic behavior, but I wish more
      > > > developers would reject Flash. It wastes bandwidth, system resources,
      > > > and my time watching junk when all I need is information.
      > > > A large part of my decision to use WP instead of Word is based on the
      > > > same feelings about dancing monitors and other garbage I don't need or
      > > > want to do my work.
      > > >

      > > --
      > > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
      > > 616 Liberty Street Martinsville, Va 24112-1809
      > > Phone: 276-632-5045 Cell: 276-732-7781 Fax: 276-632-0868
      > > http://www.phillipmjones.net mailto:pjones1@...
      > <mailto:pjones1%40kimbanet.com><pjones1%40kimbanet.com>

      Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
      616 Liberty Street Martinsville, Va 24112-1809
      Phone: 276-632-5045 Cell: 276-732-7781 Fax: 276-632-0868
      http://www.phillipmjones.net mailto:pjones1@...
    • Aron S. Spencer
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 24, 2010
        It crashes other OSes, too, just not as often. Adobe just hasn't put the effort into the Mac version. It's a freaking plugin, so it shouldn't have the massive memory leak problems it's had on Mac. Just bad programming.

        On Jun 24, 2010, at 8:02 PM, Chad Smith wrote:

        > Flash doesn't crash other OSes - just Mac.
        >
        > To me, I have to ask - is that a bug with Flash, or with Mac. IMHO - it's
        > Apple's fault.
        >
        > I actually didn't have a problem with Flash until the recent slew of updates
        > that came out from Apple (IE - *after* the war of words between Jobs and
        > Adobe).
        >
        > It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Apple is purposefully sabotaging Flash.
        >
        > Flash is an awesome tool. It can be overdone, of course. Just like
        > anything. But when used well, it provides user experiences that no other
        > tool can.
        >
        > - Chad W Smith
        > "I like a man who's middle name is W." - President George W. Bush - February
        > 10, 2003 bit.ly/gwb-dubya
        >
        > On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. <
        > pjones1@...> wrote:
        >

        > > I find any crash I have with browsers are "all" caused by Flash.
        > >
        > > I went to two sites fellow was bragging because it was 100% Flash. And
        > > each I had the first system Crash I've had on a Mac in 10 years or more.
        > > It not only Crashed the browser it crashed the OS. Just to make sure it
        > > wasn't a Fluke, I went to both again and repeated the same behavior.
        > >
        > > I went back and reported the finding to the fellow and he got quiet in a
        > > hurry.
        > >

        > > David Patterson wrote:
        > > >

        > > > Not to defend any sort of monopolistic behavior, but I wish more
        > > > developers would reject Flash. It wastes bandwidth, system resources,
        > > > and my time watching junk when all I need is information.
        > > > A large part of my decision to use WP instead of Word is based on the
        > > > same feelings about dancing monitors and other garbage I don't need or
        > > > want to do my work.
        > > >

        > > --
        > > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
        > > 616 Liberty Street Martinsville, Va 24112-1809
        > > Phone: 276-632-5045 Cell: 276-732-7781 Fax: 276-632-0868
        > > http://www.phillipmjones.net mailto:pjones1@...<pjones1%40kimbanet.com>

        Aron S. Spencer
        Union, NJ 07083

      • Frank Mitchell
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 25, 2010
          Hello Chad

          >IMHO - it's Apple's fault.
          >
          >snip
          >
          >It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Apple is purposefully sabotaging Flash.

          So what do you think Apple might expect to gain from that?

          Saw on TV today that one of our illustrious senators is suggesting that
          the oil spill might have been deliberately caused by Obama.

          -- Frank Mitchell, Scottsdale, Arizona
        • Chad Smith
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 25, 2010
            Well, a lot, actually.

            On the iP_____'s specifically, by keeping Flash off the devices, they have
            killed a *TON* of competition.

            Who would buy episodes of "The Office" from the iTunes store, if they could
            fire up Hulu and watch them for free?

            Who would pay 99� for a game (1/2 or 1/3 of which goes to Apple, not the
            developers) when the *exact same game* is free online in Flash?

            Who would get an iAd supported game (all the money goes to Apple) if the
            exact same game is free online Flash?

            Or a very similar game is online for free in Flash.... One of the biggest
            games for the iP___s has been Fieldrunners - Desktop Tower Defense has been
            free online for years - but it is in Flash.

            How much money do you think Apple will make from the Farmville app?
            Farmville is free and full-featured in Flash online.

            All these things that are free in Flash are for sale, or Apple iAd supported
            in the App Store / iTunes. The App Store is a MULTI-MILLION (if not
            BILLION) dollar business.

            Now, all these things still hold true on a Mac with a crashing Flash. If
            Hulu crashes my MacBook - I might break down and buy that episode on iTunes.
            If Pandora is stuttering, I might buy some mp3s from iTunes instead.

            They have a *LOT* to gain. Millions and millions of dollars.

            - Chad W Smith

            On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Frank Mitchell <fmitchel@...> wrote:

            > Hello Chad
            >

            > >IMHO - it's Apple's fault.
            > >
            > >snip
            >

            > >It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Apple is purposefully sabotaging Flash.
            >
            > So what do you think Apple might expect to gain from that?
            >
            > Saw on TV today that one of our illustrious senators is suggesting that
            > the oil spill might have been deliberately caused by Obama.
            >
            > -- Frank Mitchell, Scottsdale, Arizona

          • Rick Albright
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 25, 2010
              Oh, come on! This is conspiracy theory nonsense. (Let's put Steve Jobs on the grassy knoll!) And BTW, what does it have to do with WordPerfect? The last time I checked, that was the subject of this list.

              Rick Albright

              On Jun 25, 2010, at 5:28 PM, Chad Smith wrote:

              > Well, a lot, actually.
              >
              > On the iP_____'s specifically, by keeping Flash off the devices, they have
              > killed a *TON* of competition.
              >
              > Who would buy episodes of "The Office" from the iTunes store, if they could
              > fire up Hulu and watch them for free?
              >
              > Who would pay 99¢ for a game (1/2 or 1/3 of which goes to Apple, not the
              > developers) when the *exact same game* is free online in Flash?
              >
              > Who would get an iAd supported game (all the money goes to Apple) if the
              > exact same game is free online Flash?
              >
              > Or a very similar game is online for free in Flash.... One of the biggest
              > games for the iP___s has been Fieldrunners - Desktop Tower Defense has been
              > free online for years - but it is in Flash.
              >
              > How much money do you think Apple will make from the Farmville app?
              > Farmville is free and full-featured in Flash online.
              >
              > All these things that are free in Flash are for sale, or Apple iAd supported
              > in the App Store / iTunes. The App Store is a MULTI-MILLION (if not
              > BILLION) dollar business.
              >
              > Now, all these things still hold true on a Mac with a crashing Flash. If
              > Hulu crashes my MacBook - I might break down and buy that episode on iTunes.
              > If Pandora is stuttering, I might buy some mp3s from iTunes instead.
              >
              > They have a *LOT* to gain. Millions and millions of dollars.
              >
              > - Chad W Smith
              >
              > On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Frank Mitchell <fmitchel@...> wrote:
              >

              >> Hello Chad
              >>

              >>> IMHO - it's Apple's fault.
              >>>
              >>> snip
              >>

              >>> It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Apple is purposefully sabotaging Flash.
              >>
              >> So what do you think Apple might expect to gain from that?
              >>
              >> Saw on TV today that one of our illustrious senators is suggesting that
              >> the oil spill might have been deliberately caused by Obama.
              >>
              >> -- Frank Mitchell, Scottsdale, Arizona

              “No dark sarcasm in the classroom”
              --Roger Waters, “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2”
              from Pink Floyd, The Wall
              Rick Albright
              logres@...
            • Chad Smith
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 25, 2010
                WPMAC - WordPerfect *MAC*

                Antitrust laws exist because of hundreds of proven conspiracies.

                On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 9:42 PM, Rick Albright <logres@...> wrote:

                > Oh, come on! This is conspiracy theory nonsense. (Let's put Steve Jobs on
                > the grassy knoll!) And BTW, what does it have to do with WordPerfect? The
                > last time I checked, that was the subject of this list.
                >
                > Rick Albright
                >
                > On Jun 25, 2010, at 5:28 PM, Chad Smith wrote:
                >
                > > Well, a lot, actually.
                > >
                > > On the iP_____'s specifically, by keeping Flash off the devices, they
                > have
                > > killed a *TON* of competition.
                > >
                > > Who would buy episodes of "The Office" from the iTunes store, if they
                > could
                > > fire up Hulu and watch them for free?
                > >
                > > Who would pay 99� for a game (1/2 or 1/3 of which goes to Apple, not the
                > > developers) when the *exact same game* is free online in Flash?
                > >
                > > Who would get an iAd supported game (all the money goes to Apple) if the
                > > exact same game is free online Flash?
                > >
                > > Or a very similar game is online for free in Flash.... One of the biggest
                > > games for the iP___s has been Fieldrunners - Desktop Tower Defense has
                > been
                > > free online for years - but it is in Flash.
                > >
                > > How much money do you think Apple will make from the Farmville app?
                > > Farmville is free and full-featured in Flash online.
                > >
                > > All these things that are free in Flash are for sale, or Apple iAd
                > supported
                > > in the App Store / iTunes. The App Store is a MULTI-MILLION (if not
                > > BILLION) dollar business.
                > >
                > > Now, all these things still hold true on a Mac with a crashing Flash. If
                > > Hulu crashes my MacBook - I might break down and buy that episode on
                > iTunes.
                > > If Pandora is stuttering, I might buy some mp3s from iTunes instead.
                > >
                > > They have a *LOT* to gain. Millions and millions of dollars.
                > >
                > > - Chad W Smith
                > >
                > > On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Frank Mitchell <fmitchel@...>
                > wrote:
                > >

                > >> Hello Chad

                > Flash.
                > >>
                > >> So what do you think Apple might expect to gain from that?
                > >>
                > >> Saw on TV today that one of our illustrious senators is suggesting that
                > >> the oil spill might have been deliberately caused by Obama.
                > >>
                > >> -- Frank Mitchell, Scottsdale, Arizona

                > �No dark sarcasm in the classroom�
                > --Roger Waters, �Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2�
                > from Pink Floyd, The Wall
                > Rick Albright
                > logres@...

              • Chad Smith
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 25, 2010
                  A company with a virtual monopoly on a given market share purposefully
                  breaking other people's websites/apps with their own software to gain a
                  tighter hold on control of their users...?

                  Yeah - that could never happen.

                  On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Chad Smith <chad78@...> wrote:

                  > WPMAC - WordPerfect *MAC*
                  >
                  > Antitrust laws exist because of hundreds of proven conspiracies.
                  >
                  > - Chad W Smith
                  > "I like a man who's middle name is W." - President George W. Bush -
                  > February 10, 2003 bit.ly/gwb-dubya
                  >

                  > On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 9:42 PM, Rick Albright <logres@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Oh, come on! This is conspiracy theory nonsense. (Let's put Steve Jobs on
                  >> the grassy knoll!) And BTW, what does it have to do with WordPerfect? The
                  >> last time I checked, that was the subject of this list.
                  >>
                  >> Rick Albright
                  >>
                  >> On Jun 25, 2010, at 5:28 PM, Chad Smith wrote:
                  >>
                  >> > Well, a lot, actually.
                  >> >
                  >> > On the iP_____'s specifically, by keeping Flash off the devices, they
                  >> have
                  >> > killed a *TON* of competition.
                  >> >
                  >> > Who would buy episodes of "The Office" from the iTunes store, if they
                  >> could
                  >> > fire up Hulu and watch them for free?
                  >> >
                  >> > Who would pay 99� for a game (1/2 or 1/3 of which goes to Apple, not the
                  >> > developers) when the *exact same game* is free online in Flash?
                  >> >
                  >> > Who would get an iAd supported game (all the money goes to Apple) if the
                  >> > exact same game is free online Flash?
                  >> >
                  >> > Or a very similar game is online for free in Flash.... One of the
                  >> biggest
                  >> > games for the iP___s has been Fieldrunners - Desktop Tower Defense has
                  >> been
                  >> > free online for years - but it is in Flash.
                  >> >
                  >> > How much money do you think Apple will make from the Farmville app?
                  >> > Farmville is free and full-featured in Flash online.
                  >> >
                  >> > All these things that are free in Flash are for sale, or Apple iAd
                  >> supported
                  >> > in the App Store / iTunes. The App Store is a MULTI-MILLION (if not
                  >> > BILLION) dollar business.
                  >> >
                  >> > Now, all these things still hold true on a Mac with a crashing Flash.
                  >> If
                  >> > Hulu crashes my MacBook - I might break down and buy that episode on
                  >> iTunes.
                  >> > If Pandora is stuttering, I might buy some mp3s from iTunes instead.
                  >> >
                  >> > They have a *LOT* to gain. Millions and millions of dollars.
                  >> >
                  >> > - Chad W Smith

                  >> Flash.

                  >> �No dark sarcasm in the classroom�
                  >> --Roger Waters, �Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2�
                  >> from Pink Floyd, The Wall
                  >> Rick Albright
                  >> logres@...

                • ordhaj
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 26, 2010
                    I have to agree. Flash may be buggy (and so may anything else), but no process should be able to bring down an operating system. If it can, there's a problem with the OS design. I use Windows at work and PaintShopPro consistently brings down the graphics driver. It shouldn't be fiddling with it, of course, but the OS shouldn't allow it to.

                    And, as for the person who talked of dancing monitors, that's not a problem with Flash, but with how its used. To ban flash because of banner ads, etc., would be like banning GIFs or HTML for the same reason.

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 26, 2010
                      Hello Chad,

                      Fair enough. I wasn't aware of any of that - I'm not into games anyway.

                      Sounds very much like one of Microsoft's tactics.

                      Thanks,
                      Frank

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 26, 2010
                        I too am not into games. Based on my experience on my computers both
                        Macs (but both PPC Computers) I couldn't use them any way. When Flash
                        works they act like older Satellite antennas that were affect by rain or
                        snow. Freezes, stuttering sound, constant loading of content. When they
                        don't work I have crashes of applications using. and I have had flash
                        content to bring down system as well.

                        Like I said. Adobe got their start as a result of creating applications
                        for Mac. (Pdf came out a year before it came out on PC's ATM for Font
                        control on the old 680xx Motorola Processor.

                        Frank Mitchell wrote:

                        > Hello Chad,
                        >
                        > Fair enough. I wasn't aware of any of that - I'm not into games anyway.
                        >
                        > Sounds very much like one of Microsoft's tactics.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Frank
                        >
                        > >Well, a lot, actually.
                        > >
                        > >On the iP_____'s specifically, by keeping Flash off the devices, they have
                        > >killed a *TON* of competition.
                        > >
                        > >Who would buy episodes of "The Office" from the iTunes store, if they
                        > could
                        > >fire up Hulu and watch them for free?
                        > >
                        > >Who would pay 99¢ for a game (1/2 or 1/3 of which goes to Apple, not the
                        > >developers) when the *exact same game* is free online in Flash?
                        > >
                        > >Who would get an iAd supported game (all the money goes to Apple) if the
                        > >exact same game is free online Flash?
                        > >
                        > >Or a very similar game is online for free in Flash.... One of the biggest
                        > >games for the iP___s has been Fieldrunners - Desktop Tower Defense has
                        > been
                        > >free online for years - but it is in Flash.
                        > >
                        > >How much money do you think Apple will make from the Farmville app?
                        > > Farmville is free and full-featured in Flash online.
                        > >
                        > >All these things that are free in Flash are for sale, or Apple iAd
                        > supported
                        > >in the App Store / iTunes. The App Store is a MULTI-MILLION (if not
                        > >BILLION) dollar business.
                        > >
                        > >Now, all these things still hold true on a Mac with a crashing Flash. If
                        > >Hulu crashes my MacBook - I might break down and buy that episode on
                        > iTunes.
                        > > If Pandora is stuttering, I might buy some mp3s from iTunes instead.
                        > >
                        > >They have a *LOT* to gain. Millions and millions of dollars.
                        > >
                        > >- Chad W Smith
                        > >
                        > >On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Frank Mitchell <fmitchel@...
                        > <mailto:fmitchel%40amug.org>> wrote:
                        > >

                        > >> Hello Chad

                        > Flash.
                        > >>
                        > >> So what do you think Apple might expect to gain from that?
                        >
                        > -- Frank Mitchell, Scottsdale, Arizona

                        --
                        Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
                        616 Liberty Street Martinsville, Va 24112-1809
                        Phone: 276-632-5045 Cell: 276-732-7781 Fax: 276-632-0868
                        http://www.phillipmjones.net mailto:pjones1@...
                      • David Schmalz
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 26, 2010
                          Since this off-topic topic is so popular, I'll mention that I
                          alleviated my Flash problems on my PPC Mac by installing a program
                          called Clicktoflash. It was a free download, as I recall. Whenever
                          Flash content appears on a page, it just has a button instead of the
                          content. If you want to see it, you click the button. It sure makes
                          web pages filled with ads load faster, and it cuts way down on
                          crashes. For sites like YouTube, it also presents the option of
                          viewing the videos in H.264 instead of Flash.

                          David