Re: Group Files / Links clean up

  • wordperfectmac-owner@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2010
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Chad Smith <chad78@...> wrote:

      > Is there any way someone can go through the files and links sections of the
      > Yahoo Group and remove all the outdated / replaced files and links?

      That's ongoing maintenance. Just please post any outdated or defunct link, plus the correction if you know it. I'll try to find it otherwise, and correct the issue IAC.

      > Does anyone in the group still use / support / maintain Basilisk II? Since
      > this is primarily a WordPerfect group - and not a OS 7-9 Emulation group -
      > wouldn't it be more efficient to pick one over the other, (if this hasn't
      > been done already), and focus only on that. I'm not saying if someone comes
      > in with a question about Basilisk II we ignore them or tell them they have
      > to switch - but we can streamline the process - especially to new users.

      Both SheepShaver and Basilisk benefit from continuing development, both as programs themselves and as platforms supporting WP. Ed Mendelson's terrific Basilisk installer and my SheepShaver installer are two free choices any WPMac member can test and compare to see which he/she likes better. When I compared the two some time ago, I chose SheepShaver, but YMMV.

      BTW SheepShaver is now entirely stable, and actually feels more stable, not to mention faster, than it ever did with OS9. Are people having the same good luck with Basilisk?

      > I also think it might be good to organize the links/files to make them
      > easier to use and find. Maybe use folders to ask questions like a wizard
      > tree.
      >
      > Something like this:
      >
      > PPC Mac Users> 7.0 - 9.2 Users> Download and Install this>
      > " " More instructions
      > and options>
      > " 10.0-10.3 Users> Download and Install this>
      > " " More instructions
      > and options>
      > " 10.4+ Users> Download and Install this>
      > " " More instructions
      > and options>
      > Intel Mac Users> 10.0 - 10.3 Users> Download and Install this>
      > " " More instructions
      > and options>
      > " 10.4 Users> Download and Install this>
      > " " More instructions
      > and options>
      > " 10.5+ Users> Download and Install this>
      > " " More instructions
      > and options>
      >
      > Just a thought - but I think it would help people find what they are looking
      > for.
      >
      > It may not have to be as detailed as all of that - or it can be far more
      > detailed, whichever you think works best.
      >
      > And I would think you wouldn't have to have multiple copies of the same
      > files, either. Where ever there is overlap, you can just use a link. The
      > only problem would be making sure all the links are updated every time
      > there's a new file. Unless you just link them to a single page that can be
      > updated (once) with the latest file.
      >
      > I know this is asking for a bit of work to be done - and no one is getting
      > paid for any of this. I'd be happy to do the work, but I don't have the
      > rights to move/delete stuff. But if I can help in any way, please let me
      > know.

      This is something like what the PDF document "Getting Started with WordPerfectt Mac" tries to do now, but a folder tree is a good idea too. Would you like to design it, and I'll implement your design? If you could email me a complete set of folder names, and the files that links in the innermost folders should link to, that would be a valuable addition to the site.

      > Thanks so much! And I really appreciate the group and the software!

      You're most welcome! And thank you for these suggestions.