Skip to search.

Symbolic Linker (was: Re: Snow Leopard)

  • jrethorst
    Message 1 of 14 , May 14, 2010
      I'm running Symlink on an Intel machine with Tiger (and built the current SheepShaver/WordPerfect install on it). Runs fine. It's a nice tool, free, that Macworld gave 4 out of 5 mice to. It runs on OSX 10.1 and later, and is a software service for Leopard and later. See:

      http://seiryu.home.comcast.net/~seiryu/symboliclinker.html

      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, jrethorst <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >

      > > It's also nice how much SymLink (symbolic linker, aka Unix alias feature) contributes to SheepShaver/WordPerfect. The SS Unix volume now has access to your entire disk, with low overhead.
      > >

      > Does that only apply to Snow Leopard (and possibly Leopard) or does it also apply to earlier versions of OS X (like Tiger) which are also built on a unix base? I've played with Sheepshaver on my systems, all of which run Tiger, but I haven't really kept up with the later builds of Sheepshaver or the installation packages.
      >
      > Ted Lee
      > Minnetonka, MN

    • ted_m_p_lee
      Message 2 of 14 , May 14, 2010
        Thanks John. I'll give it a try when I feel like playing with Sheepshaver again...

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, jrethorst <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > I'm running Symlink on an Intel machine with Tiger (and built the current SheepShaver/WordPerfect install on it). Runs fine. It's a nice tool, free, that Macworld gave 4 out of 5 mice to. It runs on OSX 10.1 and later, and is a software service for Leopard and later. See:
        >
        > http://seiryu.home.comcast.net/~seiryu/symboliclinker.html
        >
        > John R.

      • jrethorst
        Message 3 of 14 , May 17, 2010
          No need to limit its use to SheepShaver. It works anywhere, like the Finder's alias feature. There may be other differences between them that I don't know about.

          > Thanks John. I'll give it a try when I feel like playing with Sheepshaver again...
          >
          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, jrethorst <no_reply@> wrote:
          > >

          > > I'm running Symlink on an Intel machine with Tiger (and built the current SheepShaver/WordPerfect install on it). Runs fine. It's a nice tool, free, that Macworld gave 4 out of 5 mice to. It runs on OSX 10.1 and later, and is a software service for Leopard and later. See:
          > >
          > > http://seiryu.home.comcast.net/~seiryu/symboliclinker.html
          > >
          > > John R.

        • ted_m_p_lee
          Message 4 of 14 , May 17, 2010
            Understood, but I've only found one other situation where I needed to use symlinks instead of aliases (and I did that from the terminal window.) I wasn't aware until this thread that they gave Sheepshaver an extra boost (translation: I'd never tried them there.)

            Ted

            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, jrethorst <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > No need to limit its use to SheepShaver. It works anywhere, like the Finder's alias feature. There may be other differences between them that I don't know about.
            >
            > John R.

          • Rick Albright
            Message 5 of 14 , May 21, 2010
              On May 12, 2010, at 8:38 PM, jrethorst wrote:

              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Bush <konajoe@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > The current build works . . .

              I finally got an Intel machine. What's the current build? I see that there are at least three builds in the file section of Yahoo groups, but they all seem to be from 2009, nothing more recent than that. I was expecting one with a 2010 date.

              Thanks,
              Rick
              “No dark sarcasm in the classroom”
              --Roger Waters, “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2”
              from Pink Floyd, The Wall
              Rick Albright
              logres@...
            • jrethorst
              Message 6 of 14 , May 22, 2010
                Links > SheepShaver and Basilisk >

                SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install 1.2.3.dmg (February 2010)

                or

                WP Appliance Files (Basilisk)

                or

                WPMacPPC Installer

                > I finally got an Intel machine. What's the current build? I see that there are at least three builds in the file section of Yahoo groups, but they all seem to be from 2009, nothing more recent than that. I was expecting one with a 2010 date.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Rick
                > "No dark sarcasm in the classroom"
                > --Roger Waters, "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2"
                > from Pink Floyd, The Wall
                > Rick Albright
                > logres@...

              • jrethorst
                Message 7 of 14 , May 22, 2010

                  > I finally got an Intel machine.

                  Get set for WordPerfect to be _fast_. It's hard to believe.

                  John R.
                • Chad Smith
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 22, 2010
                    The WPMacPPC installer - is that *for* PPCs or *to immulate* PPCs?

                    - Chad W Smith
                    "I like a man who's middle name is W." - President George W. Bush - February
                    10, 2003 bit.ly/gwb-dubya

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 22, 2010
                      The WPMacPPC installer emulates a ancient PowerPC machine. It runs on Intel or PPC machines running OS X Leopard or Intel machines running Snow Leopard

                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Chad Smith <chad78@...> wrote:

                      > The WPMacPPC installer - is that *for* PPCs or *to emulate* PPCs?
                    • Rick Albright
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 23, 2010
                        I kept looking under "Files." Sorry. Thanks.
                        rick