Re: [wpmac] Snow Leopard

  • Joseph Bush
    Message 1 of 14 , May 11, 2010
      The current build works very well. In fact, I have it on an Intel
      Mac, and the look & feel are better than WP running native on my G4 ;-)

      KonaJoe.

      On May 11, 2010, at 4:18 AM, jrethorst wrote:

      > As retro as I seem to be about OS upgrades, I might get this soon.
      > I gather there are no issues with SheepShaver. IAC the current
      > build of SS is very good -- I haven't had any problems at all.
      > Anyone have any other experience?
      >
      > It's also nice how much SymLink (symbolic linker, aka Unix alias
      > feature) contributes to SheepShaver/WordPerfect. The SS Unix volume
      > now has access to your entire disk, with low overhead.

    • jrethorst
      Message 2 of 14 , May 12, 2010
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Bush <konajoe@...> wrote:

        > The current build works very well. In fact, I have it on an Intel
        > Mac, and the look & feel are better than WP running native on my G4 ;-)

        Same here, and this was a result of SheepShaver that I think no one expected.

        Everyone thought it would be a workaround, maybe a clunky one.

        In fact, WP runs better than ever, not to say faster (or much faster), and the feel of it is solid and smooth. Printing to paper and PDF are easy, the OSX Dictionary is well-integrated, you can access your entire disk(s) . . . and it's still the best word processor out there.

        John R.
      • jrethorst
        Message 3 of 14 , May 14, 2010
          I'm running Symlink on an Intel machine with Tiger (and built the current SheepShaver/WordPerfect install on it). Runs fine. It's a nice tool, free, that Macworld gave 4 out of 5 mice to. It runs on OSX 10.1 and later, and is a software service for Leopard and later. See:

          http://seiryu.home.comcast.net/~seiryu/symboliclinker.html

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, jrethorst <no_reply@> wrote:
          > >

          > > It's also nice how much SymLink (symbolic linker, aka Unix alias feature) contributes to SheepShaver/WordPerfect. The SS Unix volume now has access to your entire disk, with low overhead.
          > >

          > Does that only apply to Snow Leopard (and possibly Leopard) or does it also apply to earlier versions of OS X (like Tiger) which are also built on a unix base? I've played with Sheepshaver on my systems, all of which run Tiger, but I haven't really kept up with the later builds of Sheepshaver or the installation packages.
          >
          > Ted Lee
          > Minnetonka, MN

        • ted_m_p_lee
          Message 4 of 14 , May 14, 2010
            Thanks John. I'll give it a try when I feel like playing with Sheepshaver again...

            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, jrethorst <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > I'm running Symlink on an Intel machine with Tiger (and built the current SheepShaver/WordPerfect install on it). Runs fine. It's a nice tool, free, that Macworld gave 4 out of 5 mice to. It runs on OSX 10.1 and later, and is a software service for Leopard and later. See:
            >
            > http://seiryu.home.comcast.net/~seiryu/symboliclinker.html
            >
            > John R.

          • jrethorst
            Message 5 of 14 , May 17, 2010
              No need to limit its use to SheepShaver. It works anywhere, like the Finder's alias feature. There may be other differences between them that I don't know about.

              > Thanks John. I'll give it a try when I feel like playing with Sheepshaver again...
              >
              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, jrethorst <no_reply@> wrote:
              > >

              > > I'm running Symlink on an Intel machine with Tiger (and built the current SheepShaver/WordPerfect install on it). Runs fine. It's a nice tool, free, that Macworld gave 4 out of 5 mice to. It runs on OSX 10.1 and later, and is a software service for Leopard and later. See:
              > >
              > > http://seiryu.home.comcast.net/~seiryu/symboliclinker.html
              > >
              > > John R.

            • ted_m_p_lee
              Message 6 of 14 , May 17, 2010
                Understood, but I've only found one other situation where I needed to use symlinks instead of aliases (and I did that from the terminal window.) I wasn't aware until this thread that they gave Sheepshaver an extra boost (translation: I'd never tried them there.)

                Ted

                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, jrethorst <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > No need to limit its use to SheepShaver. It works anywhere, like the Finder's alias feature. There may be other differences between them that I don't know about.
                >
                > John R.

              • Rick Albright
                Message 7 of 14 , May 21, 2010
                  On May 12, 2010, at 8:38 PM, jrethorst wrote:

                  > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Bush <konajoe@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The current build works . . .

                  I finally got an Intel machine. What's the current build? I see that there are at least three builds in the file section of Yahoo groups, but they all seem to be from 2009, nothing more recent than that. I was expecting one with a 2010 date.

                  Thanks,
                  Rick
                  “No dark sarcasm in the classroom”
                  --Roger Waters, “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2”
                  from Pink Floyd, The Wall
                  Rick Albright
                  logres@...
                • jrethorst
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 22, 2010
                    Links > SheepShaver and Basilisk >

                    SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install 1.2.3.dmg (February 2010)

                    or

                    WP Appliance Files (Basilisk)

                    or

                    WPMacPPC Installer

                    > I finally got an Intel machine. What's the current build? I see that there are at least three builds in the file section of Yahoo groups, but they all seem to be from 2009, nothing more recent than that. I was expecting one with a 2010 date.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Rick
                    > "No dark sarcasm in the classroom"
                    > --Roger Waters, "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2"
                    > from Pink Floyd, The Wall
                    > Rick Albright
                    > logres@...

                  • jrethorst
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 22, 2010

                      > I finally got an Intel machine.

                      Get set for WordPerfect to be _fast_. It's hard to believe.

                      John R.
                    • Chad Smith
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 22, 2010
                        The WPMacPPC installer - is that *for* PPCs or *to immulate* PPCs?

                        - Chad W Smith
                        "I like a man who's middle name is W." - President George W. Bush - February
                        10, 2003 bit.ly/gwb-dubya

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 22, 2010
                          The WPMacPPC installer emulates a ancient PowerPC machine. It runs on Intel or PPC machines running OS X Leopard or Intel machines running Snow Leopard

                          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Chad Smith <chad78@...> wrote:

                          > The WPMacPPC installer - is that *for* PPCs or *to emulate* PPCs?
                        • Rick Albright
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 23, 2010
                            I kept looking under "Files." Sorry. Thanks.
                            rick