Re: Best Method for working in system 10

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 5, 2010
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Chad Smith <chad78@...> wrote:

      > OpenOffice.org is Mac Native, and more up-to-date.
      > http://www.openoffice.org/

      And even better is Go-OO.org, which includes the a filter that imports the WPG graphics format - something that isn't in the basic OpenOffice.org.
    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 6, 2010
        On Apr 5, 2010, at 9:10 AM, Chad Smith wrote:

        > OpenOffice.org is Mac Native, and more up-to-date.
        > http://www.openoffice.org/

        Both OpenOffice/Mac and NeoOffice are Macintosh native.

        There are several "projects" working with the
        open source OpenOffice code for the Macintosh. The most advanced free
        one isn't OpenOffice/Mac, but rather it is NeoOffice.

        NeoOffice has consistently been well ahead of OpenOffice/Mac since
        the NeoOffice project was first started. (Indeed, the entire reason
        that the NeoOffice group split off from the OO/Mac group is because
        the latter were progressing at too slow a rate towards creating a
        fully Mac-like iteration of the OpenOffice code.) That is still the
        case. In fact, until fairly recently, OpenOffice/Mac has needed X11
        to run on the Macintosh. (X11 is software that provides a graphic
        interface so that Unix programs can run on the Macintosh.)
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X11.app
        NeoOffice has had a Macintosh interface for years now.

        NeoOffice has implemented more features for the Macintosh:
        http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/NeoOffice_Feature_Comparison

        ...and it is currently the faster than both OO and even Microsoft
        Office.
        http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/NeoOffice_Performance_Comparison

        NeoOffice (free)
        http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

        Randy B. Singer

        Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      • Randy B. Singer
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 6, 2010
          On Apr 5, 2010, at 8:58 AM, em315 wrote:

          > Are you sure of this one? You can certainly upload any file to
          > Google Docs, but I can't figure out how to make Google Docs convert
          > a WP file to any other format. If it can do that, could you spell
          > out the steps?
          >
          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer"
          > <randy@...> wrote:
          > > 9-Google Docs can be used as a conversion tool. Upload your WP
          > > document, then download as a .doc file.
          > > http://docs.google.com/

          No, I'm not sure. Someone on this very list once posted that. If it
          isn't true, I'd like to know myself so that I can stop suggesting
          that folks try it.

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 6, 2010
            Maybe the best thing to do is to try it for yourself and see if it works?

            I realize that there are differences of opinion about whether it's more helpful either (a) to pass on untried recommendations because they might help someone else who otherwise wouldn't get help, or, (b) to recommend only those things that one has actually tried and confirmed for oneself. Many people whom I respect (here and on other forums) have opinion (a), but I tend to prefer opinion (b) for myself.