Re: [wpmac] Best Method for working in system 10

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 5, 2010
      Are you sure of this one? You can certainly upload any file to Google Docs, but I can't figure out how to make Google Docs convert a WP file to any other format. If it can do that, could you spell out the steps?

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...> wrote:
      > 9-Google Docs can be used as a conversion tool. Upload your WP
      > document, then download as a .doc file.
      > http://docs.google.com/
    • Chad Smith
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 5, 2010
        - Chad W Smith
        "I like a man who's middle name is W." - President George W. Bush - February
        10, 2003 bit.ly/gwb-dubya

        On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Randy B. Singer <randy@...>wrote:

        > NeoOffice (free)
        > http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php
        > and use one of them to open your documents and save them as .doc
        > files for use in Word (or continue using AbiWord or NeoOffice as your
        > main word processing application). Both of these programs use the
        > same exact translators, so it doesn't matter which you use.

        OpenOffice.org is Mac Native, and more up-to-date.
        http://www.openoffice.org/

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 5, 2010
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...> wrote:

          > 8-Zamzar is a free online translator:
          > http://www.zamzar.com/
          >
          > Another similar service:
          > http://www.media-convert.com/

          As far as I can tell, neither of these converts WPMac files.

          The first of the two services claims to convert WPD files (which seems to mean WP 6.0 or later), and successfully converting the simple files I tested it with.

          The second service wasn't able to convert any WPWin files that I tried it with, though I suppose it might convert someone else's files.
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 5, 2010
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Chad Smith <chad78@...> wrote:

            > OpenOffice.org is Mac Native, and more up-to-date.
            > http://www.openoffice.org/

            And even better is Go-OO.org, which includes the a filter that imports the WPG graphics format - something that isn't in the basic OpenOffice.org.
          • Randy B. Singer
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 6, 2010
              On Apr 5, 2010, at 9:10 AM, Chad Smith wrote:

              > OpenOffice.org is Mac Native, and more up-to-date.
              > http://www.openoffice.org/

              Both OpenOffice/Mac and NeoOffice are Macintosh native.

              There are several "projects" working with the
              open source OpenOffice code for the Macintosh. The most advanced free
              one isn't OpenOffice/Mac, but rather it is NeoOffice.

              NeoOffice has consistently been well ahead of OpenOffice/Mac since
              the NeoOffice project was first started. (Indeed, the entire reason
              that the NeoOffice group split off from the OO/Mac group is because
              the latter were progressing at too slow a rate towards creating a
              fully Mac-like iteration of the OpenOffice code.) That is still the
              case. In fact, until fairly recently, OpenOffice/Mac has needed X11
              to run on the Macintosh. (X11 is software that provides a graphic
              interface so that Unix programs can run on the Macintosh.)
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X11.app
              NeoOffice has had a Macintosh interface for years now.

              NeoOffice has implemented more features for the Macintosh:
              http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/NeoOffice_Feature_Comparison

              ...and it is currently the faster than both OO and even Microsoft
              Office.
              http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/NeoOffice_Performance_Comparison

              NeoOffice (free)
              http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

              Randy B. Singer

              Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
              http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
            • Randy B. Singer
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 6, 2010
                On Apr 5, 2010, at 8:58 AM, em315 wrote:

                > Are you sure of this one? You can certainly upload any file to
                > Google Docs, but I can't figure out how to make Google Docs convert
                > a WP file to any other format. If it can do that, could you spell
                > out the steps?
                >
                > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer"
                > <randy@...> wrote:
                > > 9-Google Docs can be used as a conversion tool. Upload your WP
                > > document, then download as a .doc file.
                > > http://docs.google.com/

                No, I'm not sure. Someone on this very list once posted that. If it
                isn't true, I'd like to know myself so that I can stop suggesting
                that folks try it.

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 6, 2010
                  Maybe the best thing to do is to try it for yourself and see if it works?

                  I realize that there are differences of opinion about whether it's more helpful either (a) to pass on untried recommendations because they might help someone else who otherwise wouldn't get help, or, (b) to recommend only those things that one has actually tried and confirmed for oneself. Many people whom I respect (here and on other forums) have opinion (a), but I tend to prefer opinion (b) for myself.