Re: Can't open WPMacPPC

  • zaunce
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1 1:43 AM
      Three answers.

      1. I'm running OSX 10.6.2

      2. Apparently not. I got my disk image for the WPMacPPC Appliance from the site "WordPerfect for the Mac on Intel Macs" @ http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/mac-intel.html

      3. I carefully trashed an older copy of SheepShaver and (hopefully) all its associated files, one that I downloaded back in October but was unable to use successfully. It's very possible that I overlooked deleting some obscure file, especially if it's hidden.

      Thanks in advance to em315.

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1 12:41 PM
        1. OS X 10.6.2 should work perfectly. Puzzling.

        2. Actually, it is the same file - the link on that page points to the same file I referred to.

        3. I think you may be pointing to the solution here. Could you see if you have a file named "SheepShaver.plist" in the Library/Preferences folder in your own home folder, and if so, could you delete that file and empty the trash (or, if you want to preserve it, compress the file into a ZIP archive and delete the original file, then empty the trash)? If that solves the problem, then I think I see how to revise the code so that the problem won't occur again.

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1 8:56 PM
          Nope, there's no "SheepShaver.plist" in the Library/Prefs folder. I did, however, find one called "com.yourcompany.SheepShaverPrefs.plist". I presume this is left over from my earlier SheepShaver installation attempt, but am not sure. Anyway I deleted it and emptied the Trash, then tried to launch the WP app again, got the same error message.

          Is it time to Trash the whole thing and start over?

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1 9:51 PM
            I have absolutely no idea why it's showing that error message, but I uploaded a new version (same link) that I think may work around the problem. Could you try that and let me know what happens?

            That part of the script that produces that error message shouldn't even run if SheepShaver is not already running. That's what makes so little sense to me. Anyway, if this solution doesn't work, please let me know and I'll see what else I can come up with.

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 10 2:17 PM
              I haven't been able to try your new version yet, as the link has been broken for about a week. I'll keep checking and will try it when I can.

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 10 3:48 PM
                I hadn't realized that the link was broken - probably the result of total incompetence on my part. I've restored it now. My apologies for not checking on this earlier.

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 14 4:32 AM
                  Success! The new download works fine! I'm really excited to have access to all my WordPerfect files again after just about a year of misadventures.

                  Many thanks -- at least a thousand -- for all your help and patience with my problem.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 14 7:36 AM
                    Actually, I want to thank *you* for alerting me to a problem in my code that I wouldn't have caught otherwise. You've helped other people avoid wasting time and trouble.