Best Method for working in system 10

  • zRants
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 27 9:58 PM
      I inherited a lot of WordPerfect files on an old Macintosh that only open in System 9. I want to scrap system 9 because it is really slow and the computer is old and will probably die soon. I need to either work on the WordPerfect files in system 10 or convert them all to Word or some format I can work with in system 10. Converting them to word one at a time is too time consuming.

      I downloaded Conversions 2.1.2.sit and Conversion Droplets 1.0.1.sit and the Conversion Guide.pdf.sit. Is this the best solution? I don't see any mention of system 9 or 10 in the conversion guide.

      Thanks, I really appreciate your help.

      Mari
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 28 8:59 AM
        Relevant information here:

        http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/mac-intel.html#openinothers

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "zRants" <mari@...> wrote:

        > I inherited a lot of WordPerfect files on an old Macintosh that only open in System 9. I want to scrap system 9 because it is really slow and the computer is old and will probably die soon. I need to either work on the WordPerfect files in system 10 or convert them all to Word or some format I can work with in system 10. Converting them to word one at a time is too time consuming.

      • Randy B. Singer
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 4, 2010
          On Mar 27, 2010, at 9:58 PM, zRants wrote:

          > I need to either work on the WordPerfect files in system 10 or
          > convert them all to Word or some format I can work with in system
          > 10. Converting them to word one at a time is too time consuming.

          1-Purchase MacLinkPlus from DataViz
          http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/index.html
          and use it to convert your .wpd files to .doc files for use in
          Microsoft Word. This, at first, might seem like the ideal solution,
          but in practice, if your documents have complex formatting, the
          MacLinkPlus translators can be disappointing.

          2/3-Download AbiWord (free)
          http://www.abisource.com/
          or
          NeoOffice (free)
          http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php
          and use one of them to open your documents and save them as .doc
          files for use in Word (or continue using AbiWord or NeoOffice as your
          main word processing application). Both of these programs use the
          same exact translators, so it doesn't matter which you use.

          4-Download the last version of WordPerfect for Macintosh and run it
          in the Classic environment (which won't work on an Intel-based Mac
          since Classic won't run on an Intel-based Mac) or run it using
          Sheepshaver for Intel-based Macs; it will read your .wpd files and
          you can save them in .doc format.

          If your Mac is Intel-based (i.e. all recent Macintoshes) , go to:
          then go to the Links section.
          Free in the Links section, in the SheepShaver and Basilisk folder, is
          "SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install xx.dmg".

          The free MetaMacro utility, also in the Files section at
          http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wordperfectmac/
          can convert any
          number of WP documents to RTF at one time.

          5-Use one of the utilities that allow you to run Windows, or Windows
          software, on your Mac (BootCamp, Parallels, Fusion, Crossover, etc.)
          to open your WP files in WP/Win or some other Windows conversion
          utility.

          6-Nisus Writer Express/Pro can also open Word Perfect files.
          http://www.nisus.com/

          It uses the same translator used
          by NeoOffice and AbiWord which is this one:
          http://libwpd.sourceforge.net/index.html

          7-wpd2sxwbatch.pl is a perl script for doing bulk WordPerfect to
          OpenOffice.org conversions using wpd2sxwbatch.pl. It can be found
          here:

          http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/gentoo/distfiles/wpd2sxwbatch.pl

          Perl (.pl) scripts are run as-is (interpreted), not compiled from the
          OS X command line. Just do
          ./nameofscript.pl

          You can also use the command-line interface of AbiWord for this in a
          terminal: abiword --help will give you all the info, (may have to do
          AbiWord.app --help instead)
          basic format:
          abiword inputfile.wpd --to=rtf
          will convert inputfile.wpd to inputfile.rtf
          Type "cd /path/to/script" no quotes and hit enter
          Type "./nameofscript.pl" and optionally any arguments/parameters it
          needs, and hit enter.

          I'm told that, for those who aren't fans of the command-line, the Mac
          distribution of libwpd/wpd2sxw includes an AppleScript droplet that
          does essentially the same thing.
          http://libwpd.sourceforge.net/download.html

          8-Zamzar is a free online translator:
          http://www.zamzar.com/

          Another similar service:
          http://www.media-convert.com/

          9-Google Docs can be used as a conversion tool. Upload your WP
          document, then download as a .doc file.
          http://docs.google.com/

          Randy B. Singer

          Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
          http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 5, 2010
            Are you sure of this one? You can certainly upload any file to Google Docs, but I can't figure out how to make Google Docs convert a WP file to any other format. If it can do that, could you spell out the steps?

            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...> wrote:
            > 9-Google Docs can be used as a conversion tool. Upload your WP
            > document, then download as a .doc file.
            > http://docs.google.com/
          • Chad Smith
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 5, 2010
              - Chad W Smith
              "I like a man who's middle name is W." - President George W. Bush - February
              10, 2003 bit.ly/gwb-dubya

              On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Randy B. Singer <randy@...>wrote:

              > NeoOffice (free)
              > http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php
              > and use one of them to open your documents and save them as .doc
              > files for use in Word (or continue using AbiWord or NeoOffice as your
              > main word processing application). Both of these programs use the
              > same exact translators, so it doesn't matter which you use.

              OpenOffice.org is Mac Native, and more up-to-date.
              http://www.openoffice.org/

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 5, 2010
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...> wrote:

                > 8-Zamzar is a free online translator:
                > http://www.zamzar.com/
                >
                > Another similar service:
                > http://www.media-convert.com/

                As far as I can tell, neither of these converts WPMac files.

                The first of the two services claims to convert WPD files (which seems to mean WP 6.0 or later), and successfully converting the simple files I tested it with.

                The second service wasn't able to convert any WPWin files that I tried it with, though I suppose it might convert someone else's files.
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 5, 2010
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Chad Smith <chad78@...> wrote:

                  > OpenOffice.org is Mac Native, and more up-to-date.
                  > http://www.openoffice.org/

                  And even better is Go-OO.org, which includes the a filter that imports the WPG graphics format - something that isn't in the basic OpenOffice.org.
                • Randy B. Singer
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 6, 2010
                    On Apr 5, 2010, at 9:10 AM, Chad Smith wrote:

                    > OpenOffice.org is Mac Native, and more up-to-date.
                    > http://www.openoffice.org/

                    Both OpenOffice/Mac and NeoOffice are Macintosh native.

                    There are several "projects" working with the
                    open source OpenOffice code for the Macintosh. The most advanced free
                    one isn't OpenOffice/Mac, but rather it is NeoOffice.

                    NeoOffice has consistently been well ahead of OpenOffice/Mac since
                    the NeoOffice project was first started. (Indeed, the entire reason
                    that the NeoOffice group split off from the OO/Mac group is because
                    the latter were progressing at too slow a rate towards creating a
                    fully Mac-like iteration of the OpenOffice code.) That is still the
                    case. In fact, until fairly recently, OpenOffice/Mac has needed X11
                    to run on the Macintosh. (X11 is software that provides a graphic
                    interface so that Unix programs can run on the Macintosh.)
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X11.app
                    NeoOffice has had a Macintosh interface for years now.

                    NeoOffice has implemented more features for the Macintosh:
                    http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/NeoOffice_Feature_Comparison

                    ...and it is currently the faster than both OO and even Microsoft
                    Office.
                    http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/NeoOffice_Performance_Comparison

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 6, 2010
                      On Apr 5, 2010, at 8:58 AM, em315 wrote:

                      > Are you sure of this one? You can certainly upload any file to
                      > Google Docs, but I can't figure out how to make Google Docs convert
                      > a WP file to any other format. If it can do that, could you spell
                      > out the steps?
                      >
                      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer"
                      > <randy@...> wrote:
                      > > 9-Google Docs can be used as a conversion tool. Upload your WP
                      > > document, then download as a .doc file.
                      > > http://docs.google.com/

                      No, I'm not sure. Someone on this very list once posted that. If it
                      isn't true, I'd like to know myself so that I can stop suggesting
                      that folks try it.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 6, 2010
                        Maybe the best thing to do is to try it for yourself and see if it works?

                        I realize that there are differences of opinion about whether it's more helpful either (a) to pass on untried recommendations because they might help someone else who otherwise wouldn't get help, or, (b) to recommend only those things that one has actually tried and confirmed for oneself. Many people whom I respect (here and on other forums) have opinion (a), but I tend to prefer opinion (b) for myself.