Re: CD

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 16, 2010
      Dan's Guardian is a filtering service used by some schools and businesses to block offensive content from computers. It is presumably running on whatever system you use to connect to the Internet. Ask the network administrator to turn it off, or try to use another route to the internet.

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, bberkeleycloyne@... wrote:

      > A couple of months ago, a newbie asked to be sent a copy of WP Mac and someone who, I believe, works at a university offered to send her one.
      >
      > I too, asked this group member for a copy and we exchanged a couple of e-mails outside this group in which I provided my address.
      >
      > The copy never arrived. I am unable to download it because of an error I get a couple of times a months, when I attempt to download different pages:
      >
      > "DANSGUARDIAN - Access Denied"
    • geoffrey mendelson
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 16, 2010
        On Mar 16, 2010, at 7:30 AM, bberkeleycloyne@... wrote:

        > A couple of months ago, a newbie asked to be sent a copy of WP Mac
        > and someone who, I believe, works at a university offered to send
        > her one.
        >
        > I too, asked this group member for a copy and we exchanged a couple
        > of e-mails outside this group in which I provided my address.
        >
        > The copy never arrived. I am unable to download it because of an
        > error I get a couple of times a months, when I attempt to download
        > different pages:
        >
        > "DANSGUARDIAN - Access Denied"

        DANSGUARDIAN or more appropriately Dan's Guardian is a server side web
        filter to eliminate access to porn, spam, etc. It's keyword driven,
        which IMHO makes it useless.

        For example, it blocks Sky News several times a day, and if you are
        into ham radio, don't try to order an Morse code keys from Morse
        Express (www.morsex.com).

        If you have problems with it the best thing to do is to ask any
        teenager who uses the same web connection on how to get to the porn
        sites. They'll fix you up with a bypass right away. :-)

        You could just ask your system admin to whitelist the site.

        Geoff.

        --
        geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
        Jerusalem Israel geoffreymendelson@...
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 17, 2010
          For those who are following these messages, I think this mystery is solved. Gene's internet provider (I won't name it in order to preserve privacy) evidently uses Dan's Guardian to block large downloads (or at least some category of downloads that includes the WP installer and some other things), and that's why he can't access them. The solution seems to be to switch to a different internet provider.

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, bberkeleycloyne@... wrote:

          > A couple of months ago, a newbie asked to be sent a copy of WP Mac and someone who, I believe, works at a university offered to send her one.
          >
          > I too, asked this group member for a copy and we exchanged a couple of e-mails outside this group in which I provided my address.
          >
          > The copy never arrived. I am unable to download it because of an error I get a couple of times a months, when I attempt to download different pages:
          >
          > "DANSGUARDIAN - Access Denied"
          >
          > I have asked several "geniuses" in the Apple store about it, but no one has ever seen it before, so they had no idea of how to get rid of it.
          >
          > Could one of the people on this very active group please send me a copy?
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Gene
          > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

        • geoffrey mendelson
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 17, 2010
            On Mar 17, 2010, at 4:08 PM, em315 wrote:

            > For those who are following these messages, I think this mystery is
            > solved. Gene's internet provider (I won't name it in order to
            > preserve privacy) evidently uses Dan's Guardian to block large
            > downloads (or at least some category of downloads that includes the
            > WP installer and some other things), and that's why he can't access
            > them. The solution seems to be to switch to a different internet
            > provider.

            No need to. Most of those systems are easy to get around, that's why I
            (tounge in cheek) said to ask any teenager how to get to blocked
            sites, they all know the work arounds.

            You could look up "free internet proxy" or "free socks proxy".

            He could also mention where he is, there may be someone on the list
            who can make a copy for him, or if he has a laptop let him come over
            and download it. I can/would do either, but my guess is he is too far
            away to make it worthwhile.

            Geoff.

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 17, 2010
              It's easy to get around a filtering system when the filtering system is on a separate server that sits between your local computer and your remote ISP. The proxy lets you bypass the local server and get data more or less directly from the ISP. It would be interesting to learn whether this is just as easy when the filtering system is on the ISP's servers, with no intermediate server to work around. It may be easy, but I tend to suspect that it isn't.