Using WordPerfect X4 on Intel Mac

  • ddschmalz
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2010
      I don't want to diminish the great work done with Sheepshaver recently, but for those who already have Parallels or Fusion, I just happened to notice that WordPerfect Office X4 Standard edition is being sold on eBay for under $20. The description says it can open 60 file formats, including pdf and Word 2007 documents. Since my main desktop Mac is a PPC with Classic mode and my laptop is a MacBook where I already have Windows 7 under Boot Camp, I think I will probably get Parallels and run WordPerfect X4 that way, as the ability to open pdf and Word 2007 documents is something I need. But I want to express my thanks to all who have done so much with the work on the Sheepshaver installation. Even though I won't be using it to run WordPerfect anymore, I have a few old Mac games that I just can't give up when I'm traveling with my MacBook.

      Regards,

      David
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 7, 2010
        WordPerfect for Windows works very well in Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion, and can even be set to run in an OS X window in those program's "unity" or "seamless" mode or whatever they call them.

        However, if you have files that were saved by WordPerfect for the Mac 3.5 Enhanced in the native format of WordPerfect for the Mac 3.5 Enhanced, then you won't be able to open those files in WordPerfect for Windows. The ONLY programs that can open those files are WordPerfect for the Mac 3.5 Enhanced, or OpenOffice.org and programs based on OpenOffice.org.

        This problem does NOT occur if your WordPerfect for the Mac files were saved in the original WPMac 3.x format (NOT 3.5 Enhanced) or in a WordPerfect for DOS or Windows format. But it does occur if your WP files were created or saved in WPMac 3.5 Enhanced.

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 17, 2010
          I finally received my WordPerfect for Windows X4 and installed it last night on my Intel MacBook, which has Windows 7 in a Bootcamp partition. Then I created a file on the PPC computer using WP 3.5 Enhanced and copied it to the MacBook while running Windows. Although the file showed up in Windows with a generic icon, WordPerfect opened it just fine. If I double-click the file's icon, it shows no program associated with the file type and presents me with a list of programs to use to open it, and if I choose WordPerfect, it opens without a problem that way also. When I look at the properties of the Mac 3.5e file after copying it to Windows, Windows 7 says "File type: File."

          So, I don't have the solution that I had hoped to have, but it is not as bad as not being able to open 3.5e files at all. I don't have Parallels installed on this computer yet, but If I install Parallels and copy my 3.5e files to the MacBook's OS X volume instead of the Bootcamp Windows volume, is there anything I could do so that the files would have a WordPerfect icon and double-clicking would cause OS X to start WordPerfect for Windows X4 and open the file? I'm hoping that some of the work that was done to accomplish this using Sheepshaver would also be applicable to starting the WP Windows application.

          Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 18, 2010
            1. If you create a file with only simple formatting in WP 3.5 Enhanced, WPWin X4 will be able to open it. If I create a file with complex formatting in WP 3.5 Enhanced, WPWin X4 either locks up when trying to open it, or displays an "Unknown file format" message. There's no obvious way to predict which kind of file WPWin X4 will be able to open.

            2. If all your WPMac 3.5e are files that WPWin X4 can open, try saving them with a .WPD file extension or rename them to have a .WPD extension if they already exist. WPD is the Windows file type that WPWin X4 opens by default Read the Parallels help file for information on opening specific Windows file types in applications in Parallels.

> [...]
            > >
            > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ddschmalz" <ddschmalz@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I don't want to diminish the great work done with Sheepshaver recently, but for those who already have Parallels or Fusion, I just happened to notice that WordPerfect Office X4 Standard edition is being sold on eBay for under $20. The description says it can open 60 file formats, including pdf and Word 2007 documents. Since my main desktop Mac is a PPC with Classic mode and my laptop is a MacBook where I already have Windows 7 under Boot Camp, I think I will probably get Parallels and run WordPerfect X4 that way, as the ability to open pdf and Word 2007 documents is something I need.

          • jrethorst
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 18, 2010
              In Preferences > Files, you can set to save documents in WP 3.5 format by default. This is intrinsically the same format as 3.5e except that the latter is compressed to save space, something we all have more of now than when the format was written.

              MetaMacro can change a folder full of WP 3.5e files to 3.5 with a few clicks.

              > However, if you have files that were saved by WordPerfect for the Mac 3.5 Enhanced in the native format of WordPerfect for the Mac 3.5 Enhanced, then you won't be able to open those files in WordPerfect for Windows. The ONLY programs that can open those files are WordPerfect for the Mac 3.5 Enhanced, or OpenOffice.org and programs based on OpenOffice.org.

              > This problem does NOT occur if your WordPerfect for the Mac files were saved in the original WPMac 3.x format (NOT 3.5 Enhanced) or in a WordPerfect for DOS or Windows format. But it does occur if your WP files were created or saved in WPMac 3.5 Enhanced.
            • hans.dorsman
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 28, 2010
                When you create a file in wp3.5e just give it the extension .wpd, then it will be recognized.

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 31, 2010
                  Yes, but if the 3.5e file has complex formatting, and it's saved in the default 3.5e format, then WordPerfect for Windows will not be able to open it. If it's a simple text file, then WordPerfect for Windows will be able to open it, but there is no easy way to predict whether WPWin will be able to open anything more complex.