[ANN] Improved standalone WPMac application

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2010
      Once again borrowing ideas by John Rethorst and Smokey Ardisson, I've spent an enjoyable few evenings putting together an improved version of a standalone WPMac "application":

      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPMacPPC%20Installer.dmg

      Leopard/Snow Leopard only. Download the DMG file, read the Read Me First document, double-click the ZIP file to extract the WPMac Appliance in your Downloads folder. Move it from there to your Desktop or your Applications folder or to the Applications folder inside your home folder. Drag it to the dock to place an icon for it in the dock.

      Now, drag a WP file or files to the application or its dock icon, and wait for the special version of SheepShaver to open, and for the files you dragged to open in SheepShaver. (This trick is entirely John's idea, and the code that performs the trick is based very closely on his.)

      The first time you run it, it offers to install a printing system; details of this are explained in the Read Me First file. If you want to print or create PDFs, you MUST read the Read Me First file for instructions.

      If you press Cmd-I on a WP file in OS X, and specify that they should all open with "WPMacPPC", then you can double-click any WP file to have it open in WPMac in SheepShaver.

      This new version has a couple of tricks up its sleeve. Following a suggestion by John, this one offers to rename or copy any WP file with a name longer than 31 characters (because SheepShaver won't work smoothly with files with longer names).

      You can change the size of the SheepShaver window by opening the Preferences dialog from the SheepShaver menu and go to the Audio/Video tab. If you select Fullscreen instead of Window (or if you set the height and width to 0 and 0), and then shut down SheepShaver, and then start it up again, SheepShaver will open in a special almost-fullscreen mode. The standard OS X top-line menu will disappear until you move the mouse cursor to the top of the screen (which you'll need to do if you want to change the screen dimensions back again).

      A few other options are available if you open the WPMacPPC application in the AppleScript Editor. The top few lines of the code explain how to set the program so that it opens in a portrait-style window (instead of the standard landscape-style window). Another option lets you set the Unix folder in SheepShaver to be your OS X Documents folder, instead of your OS X home folder (it's the home folder by default).

      Again, this system uses a slower and buggier version of the Mac OS than John's system, but it might be worth experimenting with if you have some spare time on your hands.
    • aharbell
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 13, 2010
        Dear Ann John and Smokey
        I'm trying to install a version of SheepShaver that I can use to run many old educational games - Number Munchers, Kid Works 2, MathTeam Pro, Zoo Zillions etc. I installed a version of SheepShaver from this website and it runs quite well except the SheepShaver screen is wide and shallow. I've seen posts discussing this and I thought it had been addressed but now I've installed the Jan 17, 2010 version from this website and it still has the wide shallow window.
        I have other issues I want to try tweaking, but I can't proceed until I have a better size window.
        Can you please advise me?
        Sincerely,
        Anna Harbell
        Montesano, WA

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 15, 2010
          Start SheepShaver. On the top line menu, click SheepShaver, then Preferences; go to the Audio/Video tab and set the screen size to something you prefer (change the height setting). Click Save. Shutdown SheepShaver completely; ignore any error message about not being able to find the Unix disk if such a message should appear. Restart SheepShaver.