How cool is this?

  • jcrethorst
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2010
      It's 2010, so many years after the 1984 that George Orwell so feared. We all have computers, and they finally do what we want them to.

      I sit down in front of my Intel Mac and double-click a Photoshop file in the Finder. The Photoshop program activates and shows me the file.

      I double-click a Filemaker database. Filemaker activates, and shows me the file.

      I double-click a WordPerfect document. WordPerfect activates, and shows me the file.

      Hey. Wait right there. WordPerfect isn't part of OSX.

      OK, but thanks to some excellent work by Ed Mendelson and Smokey Robinson, you'd never know.

      WordPerfect is now almost entirely integrated with the OSX environment.

      That means, dude, Snow Leopard and OS versions for the foreseeable future.

      Currently in development: select a word in WP and run an Applescript from your script menu. The OSX dictionary opens and looks up the word. That's already in the Files section here for PPC, but will work on Intel starting in a week or two.

      Now that we have double-click -> open file, don't forget that WP, itself, is still the (not _a_, but _the_) word processor from heaven, or wherever it is that we go when we eat chocolate.

      So spend _how much $$_ on Word or something else (is there still anything else? Nisus? Mellel? Mariner Write? Do they support footnotes yet?)

      Or spend _zilch_ on WP. Get the word processor Moses would have carried down from the mountain had he been computer-literate.

      The OS9 environment weren't that bad, me friend, says the grizzled prospector as he brings his mule down the trail. 'Specially now that it runs at Intel Core Duo 2 speed. There's gold in the hills.

      But we knew that. We have WP.

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2010
        John

        Some of us who want to use this super new whizz bang system already have
        the older clunky model in place, but one running 8.6 or higher. It's so
        long since I installed 8.6 on the original Sheepshaver disk, I've
        forgotten how to do it. If I install this new system that allows me to
        launch files from the OSX desktop, can I upgrade to 8.6 on the
        Sheepshaver disk and how do I do it? Having got Sheepshaver working with
        few headaches, the idea of installing afresh for the promised wonders of
        a new age can be a tad daunting.

        Geoff

        Geoff Gilbert
        Professor of Law
        School of Law and Human Rights Centre
        University of Essex
        Wivenhoe Park
        Colchester
        CO4 3SQ

        Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
        Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
        Email: geoff (for those outside the University, add @ followed by essex.ac.uk)

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2010
          Geoff,

          No need to rebuild anything. If you want to try my automated system based on John's and Smokey's work, but with your upgraded SheepShaver system, then download my setup here:

          http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPMacPPC%20Installer.dmg

          Also download a ZIP file containing a script that needs to run inside SheepShaver:

          http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/%7ERun%20Open%20WP%20Files.zip

          Unzip the file, and put it somewhere you can find it easily.

          When you've downloaded my system, drag the WPMacPPC application to your desktop or your Applications folder or the Applications folder inside your Home folder. You might want to try the system for a while, but when you're ready to start using your own upgraded SheepShaver disk, do this:

          Find the two files in your SheepShaver folder named Mac OS ROM and SheepShaver Volume.dmg. Drag COPIES of them to your desktop. DO NOT USE YOUR ORIGINALS! IF YOU USE YOUR ORIGINAL COPIES AND DESTROY THEM, REMEMBER THAT I WARNED YOU NOT TO USE YOUR ORIGINALS. Rename the COPY of SheepShaver Volume.dmg to "WPMacPPC512.dsk" - and yes, it needs to have the .dsk extension, not .dmg, and you must use exactly the same combination of upper-and-lower case letters. If you don't do this exactly, the procedure is guaranteed NOT to work. And do NOT touch your originals of either file!

          Now, right-click on my WPMacPPC program. Choose Show Package Contents. Navigate to Contents, Resources, Files, and right-click on MacOS.sheepvm. Choose Show Package Contents. Notice the two files inside named Mac OS ROM and WPMacPPC512.dsk; drag them to some convenient backup folder (NOT your desktop, which already has files with those names). Drag the two files with those names FROM your desktop into this MacOS.sheepvm folder. Close all the Finder windows.

          In doing all this, don't be original, don't be clever, don't assume that I implied that you should do something that I didn't say. This procedure will not work unless these steps are followed exactly!

          Now double-click the WPMacPPC icon again. Your familiar SheepShaver volume should start up. Go to the top-line SheepShaver menu, choose Preferences, go to the Audio/Video tab and choose the screen size you want (it will open with this screen size only after you shut SheepShaver down completely and then launch it again - NOT merely by choosing Restart from the Special menu in SheepShaver itself).

          Go to the Unix folder in SheepShaver. Drag to the SheepShaver disk (not just the desktop) the script you unzipped earlier in the instructions. Put the script in your SheepShaver System Folder's Startup Items folder. You may want to remove any script that's in the Startup Items folder already. Shut down SheepShaver.

          Select a WPMac document in OS X. Press Cmd-I, find Open with, select WPMacPPC if it isn't selected already and Change All... to make all WPMac files open with WPMacPPC.

          Now double-click a WP file, or drag a WP file to the WPMacPPC icon. SheepShaver will open and the WP file should open in WPMac.

          You'll have to set up printing on your own. You may be able to work exactly as you do now, but maybe not. Try reading the Read Me First file in my setup. Also, if your Unix folder is your Documents folder (not your Home folder, as in my setup), open the WPMacPPC application in the AppleScript Editor, change a setting near the top of the file (fully explained there) and save the file (which will take a VERY long time because the file contains so many things).

          No guarantees. If this doesn't work, you've lost nothing but time. But it worked here when I tried it just now with John's SheepShaver setup and it should work with yours.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3, 2010
            Edward

            I'm printing this out and it's going to sit beside me as I carry out the
            transformation. Fingers crossed

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 3, 2010
              And of course when I say "right-click" I mean "ctrl-click" if you have a trackpad or one-button mouse.