Re: [ANN] New SheepShaver install (was: converting 1.x files to 3.5)

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 5, 2010
      At least on my system, the installer doesn't overwrite the existing disk image (that would be a useful option if the user wanted to restore the original state of the disk). It seems that the whole SheepShaver Folder in <username>/Applications must be deleted before the new version can replace the older one.

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 5, 2010
        Also, if you reinstall without deleting the existing SheepShaver alias on the desktop you get aliases named "SheepShaver 2", "SheepShaver 3", etc - I may have been clicking on the wrong one, causing the problem I describe below, but I haven't looked at the code and can't be sure of that.

      • psophia3@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 5, 2010
          The version of SheepShaver in the new install is
          supposedly a universal binary. If you have problems with it,
          you can dl an earlier version of SheepShaver from links at
          emaculation.com/forum.

          Since you have a PPC, though, you can run WP 1x directly. Can
          you open the Appliance file disk in OSX to retrieve WP 1x? If
          its extension is .dsk, try changing it to .dmg.

          John R.

          >Ah, but that's for Intel. Not to be *too* pushy, but any options for
          >getting WP 1.x onto a Mac PPC OS X 10.3.9?..... if the Appliance
          >Files won't install (says disk image is corrupt). I've got all the
          >conversion files, but my 3.5 still won't open the 1.x files.....
          >Thanks again.

          >>Just posted. Has a nice new 500mb virtual disk, that both Disk First Aid
          >>and Disk Utility say is perfect. In the Links section here, in the SheepShaver
          >>and Basilisk folder, as "SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install 1.2.3.dmg".

          [Lengthy quote of much of thread deleted]
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 6, 2010
            Good points. The next update will have an option to overwrite or keep
            the existing volume, and won't duplicate aliases.

            i also plan to learn shell scripting, so I can put the SS app in the
            root applications folder, where it belongs (requiring administrator
            priveleges) and put the volume in the /users/shared/ folder.

            Thanks,

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 9, 2010
              OK, I downloaded 3.5e, and can now open some of the 1.x files. But
              for some of those files, opening them crashes the system and the
              system error message reads "'corel wordperfect' error type 10."
              I've combed Help and Google to find what that error means, but no
              luck, and I can't ID anything different about the files that won't
              open.....

              Jenny