Working with large numbers of files (was: converting 1.x files to 3.5)

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 4, 2010
      To do anything with hundreds (or even dozens) of WP files, have a look
      at MetaMacro, in the Files section here, as well as included in the
      SheepShaver-WordPerfect install. It lets you run a macro on all files in
      a folder. You could e.g. open all WP 1x files and save as 3.5e files
      with one click.

      John R.

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 5, 2010
        At least on my system, the installer doesn't overwrite the existing disk image (that would be a useful option if the user wanted to restore the original state of the disk). It seems that the whole SheepShaver Folder in <username>/Applications must be deleted before the new version can replace the older one.

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 5, 2010
          Also, if you reinstall without deleting the existing SheepShaver alias on the desktop you get aliases named "SheepShaver 2", "SheepShaver 3", etc - I may have been clicking on the wrong one, causing the problem I describe below, but I haven't looked at the code and can't be sure of that.

        • psophia3@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 5, 2010
            The version of SheepShaver in the new install is
            supposedly a universal binary. If you have problems with it,
            you can dl an earlier version of SheepShaver from links at
            emaculation.com/forum.

            Since you have a PPC, though, you can run WP 1x directly. Can
            you open the Appliance file disk in OSX to retrieve WP 1x? If
            its extension is .dsk, try changing it to .dmg.

            John R.

            >Ah, but that's for Intel. Not to be *too* pushy, but any options for
            >getting WP 1.x onto a Mac PPC OS X 10.3.9?..... if the Appliance
            >Files won't install (says disk image is corrupt). I've got all the
            >conversion files, but my 3.5 still won't open the 1.x files.....
            >Thanks again.

            >>Just posted. Has a nice new 500mb virtual disk, that both Disk First Aid
            >>and Disk Utility say is perfect. In the Links section here, in the SheepShaver
            >>and Basilisk folder, as "SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install 1.2.3.dmg".

            [Lengthy quote of much of thread deleted]
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 6, 2010
              Good points. The next update will have an option to overwrite or keep
              the existing volume, and won't duplicate aliases.

              i also plan to learn shell scripting, so I can put the SS app in the
              root applications folder, where it belongs (requiring administrator
              priveleges) and put the volume in the /users/shared/ folder.

              Thanks,

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 9, 2010
                OK, I downloaded 3.5e, and can now open some of the 1.x files. But
                for some of those files, opening them crashes the system and the
                system error message reads "'corel wordperfect' error type 10."
                I've combed Help and Google to find what that error means, but no
                luck, and I can't ID anything different about the files that won't
                open.....

                Jenny