Re: converting 1.x files to 3.5

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2010
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "psophia3" <psophia3@...> wrote:

      > OK, hmmm, I don't see a way to use the conversion files to convert the WP 1.x files to 3.5.

      Put the conversion filters in the Conversions folder, which will be in the same folder as the WP application, unless you've designated it elsewhere in Prefs > Folders. The WP 1 files should then show in an Open dialog.

      >And when I download Sheepshaver and then try to open the installer, I'm told that the disk image is corrupt and failed to mount....

      There will be a new version of SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install in the next day or two. You could also download WPMacPPC from the SheepShaver and Basilisk folder in the Links section here. It needs Leopard (I'm on Tiger, so I can't even look at it. Hmm. I'll bet it's nice).

      John R.
    • psophia3@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 4, 2010
        A new Sheepshaver install would be a lifesaver, as I have Tiger.
        Otherwise, I'm looking at converting hundreds of 1.x files to Rich
        Text to print them.... Thanks!

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 4, 2010
          Just posted. Has a nice new 500mb virtual disk, that both Disk First Aid
          and Disk Utility say is perfect. In the Links section here, in the SheepShaver
          and Basilisk folder, as "SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install 1.2.3.dmg".

          John R.

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 4, 2010
            To do anything with hundreds (or even dozens) of WP files, have a look
            at MetaMacro, in the Files section here, as well as included in the
            SheepShaver-WordPerfect install. It lets you run a macro on all files in
            a folder. You could e.g. open all WP 1x files and save as 3.5e files
            with one click.

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 5, 2010
              At least on my system, the installer doesn't overwrite the existing disk image (that would be a useful option if the user wanted to restore the original state of the disk). It seems that the whole SheepShaver Folder in <username>/Applications must be deleted before the new version can replace the older one.

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 5, 2010
                Also, if you reinstall without deleting the existing SheepShaver alias on the desktop you get aliases named "SheepShaver 2", "SheepShaver 3", etc - I may have been clicking on the wrong one, causing the problem I describe below, but I haven't looked at the code and can't be sure of that.

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 5, 2010
                  The version of SheepShaver in the new install is
                  supposedly a universal binary. If you have problems with it,
                  you can dl an earlier version of SheepShaver from links at
                  emaculation.com/forum.

                  Since you have a PPC, though, you can run WP 1x directly. Can
                  you open the Appliance file disk in OSX to retrieve WP 1x? If
                  its extension is .dsk, try changing it to .dmg.

                  John R.

                  >Ah, but that's for Intel. Not to be *too* pushy, but any options for
                  >getting WP 1.x onto a Mac PPC OS X 10.3.9?..... if the Appliance
                  >Files won't install (says disk image is corrupt). I've got all the
                  >conversion files, but my 3.5 still won't open the 1.x files.....
                  >Thanks again.

                  >>Just posted. Has a nice new 500mb virtual disk, that both Disk First Aid
                  >>and Disk Utility say is perfect. In the Links section here, in the SheepShaver
                  >>and Basilisk folder, as "SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install 1.2.3.dmg".

                  [Lengthy quote of much of thread deleted]
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 6, 2010
                    Good points. The next update will have an option to overwrite or keep
                    the existing volume, and won't duplicate aliases.

                    i also plan to learn shell scripting, so I can put the SS app in the
                    root applications folder, where it belongs (requiring administrator
                    priveleges) and put the volume in the /users/shared/ folder.

                    Thanks,

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 9, 2010
                      OK, I downloaded 3.5e, and can now open some of the 1.x files. But
                      for some of those files, opening them crashes the system and the
                      system error message reads "'corel wordperfect' error type 10."
                      I've combed Help and Google to find what that error means, but no
                      luck, and I can't ID anything different about the files that won't
                      open.....

                      Jenny