converting 1.x files to 3.5

  • psophia3
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2010
      I use Mac OS X 10.3.9, and I have Wordperfect 3.5 installed, but I cannot open WP files I need to access that were created in 1.x, and I haven't been able to find info on how to do this. Any advice is deeply appreciated. Thanks.
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2010
        WP 3.5 should open all but password-protected WP 1x files. You may be
        missing the right conversion filter. Download Conversions 2.1.2 from
        the Conversions folder in the Files section here.

        Or download WP Appliance from the SheepShaver and Basilisk folder in the
        Links section here. It has WP 1.0.5, which will run in Classic in OSX.

        John R.

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2010
          OK, hmmm, I don't see a way to use the conversion files to convert the WP 1.x files to 3.5. And when I download Sheepshaver and then try to open the installer, I'm told that the disk image is corrupt and failed to mount....

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2, 2010
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "psophia3" <psophia3@...> wrote:

            > OK, hmmm, I don't see a way to use the conversion files to convert the WP 1.x files to 3.5.

            Put the conversion filters in the Conversions folder, which will be in the same folder as the WP application, unless you've designated it elsewhere in Prefs > Folders. The WP 1 files should then show in an Open dialog.

            >And when I download Sheepshaver and then try to open the installer, I'm told that the disk image is corrupt and failed to mount....

            There will be a new version of SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install in the next day or two. You could also download WPMacPPC from the SheepShaver and Basilisk folder in the Links section here. It needs Leopard (I'm on Tiger, so I can't even look at it. Hmm. I'll bet it's nice).

            John R.
          • psophia3@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 4, 2010
              A new Sheepshaver install would be a lifesaver, as I have Tiger.
              Otherwise, I'm looking at converting hundreds of 1.x files to Rich
              Text to print them.... Thanks!

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 4, 2010
                Just posted. Has a nice new 500mb virtual disk, that both Disk First Aid
                and Disk Utility say is perfect. In the Links section here, in the SheepShaver
                and Basilisk folder, as "SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install 1.2.3.dmg".

                John R.

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 4, 2010
                  To do anything with hundreds (or even dozens) of WP files, have a look
                  at MetaMacro, in the Files section here, as well as included in the
                  SheepShaver-WordPerfect install. It lets you run a macro on all files in
                  a folder. You could e.g. open all WP 1x files and save as 3.5e files
                  with one click.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 5, 2010
                    At least on my system, the installer doesn't overwrite the existing disk image (that would be a useful option if the user wanted to restore the original state of the disk). It seems that the whole SheepShaver Folder in <username>/Applications must be deleted before the new version can replace the older one.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 5, 2010
                      Also, if you reinstall without deleting the existing SheepShaver alias on the desktop you get aliases named "SheepShaver 2", "SheepShaver 3", etc - I may have been clicking on the wrong one, causing the problem I describe below, but I haven't looked at the code and can't be sure of that.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 5, 2010
                        The version of SheepShaver in the new install is
                        supposedly a universal binary. If you have problems with it,
                        you can dl an earlier version of SheepShaver from links at
                        emaculation.com/forum.

                        Since you have a PPC, though, you can run WP 1x directly. Can
                        you open the Appliance file disk in OSX to retrieve WP 1x? If
                        its extension is .dsk, try changing it to .dmg.

                        John R.

                        >Ah, but that's for Intel. Not to be *too* pushy, but any options for
                        >getting WP 1.x onto a Mac PPC OS X 10.3.9?..... if the Appliance
                        >Files won't install (says disk image is corrupt). I've got all the
                        >conversion files, but my 3.5 still won't open the 1.x files.....
                        >Thanks again.

                        >>Just posted. Has a nice new 500mb virtual disk, that both Disk First Aid
                        >>and Disk Utility say is perfect. In the Links section here, in the SheepShaver
                        >>and Basilisk folder, as "SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install 1.2.3.dmg".

                        [Lengthy quote of much of thread deleted]
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 6, 2010
                          Good points. The next update will have an option to overwrite or keep
                          the existing volume, and won't duplicate aliases.

                          i also plan to learn shell scripting, so I can put the SS app in the
                          root applications folder, where it belongs (requiring administrator
                          priveleges) and put the volume in the /users/shared/ folder.

                          Thanks,

                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 9, 2010
                            OK, I downloaded 3.5e, and can now open some of the 1.x files. But
                            for some of those files, opening them crashes the system and the
                            system error message reads "'corel wordperfect' error type 10."
                            I've combed Help and Google to find what that error means, but no
                            luck, and I can't ID anything different about the files that won't
                            open.....

                            Jenny