Re: [wpmac] SS install updated (was: run old educational games on new macs)

  • Dennis Supanich
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2010
      I used your installer, and every time I start up Sheepshaver the software
      automatically runs a disk utility and tells me I need to repair the disk
      image on the OS X side. But, when I do that, the OS X disk utility says
      there¹s nothing wrong with the disk. It looks like everything¹s fine
      without running the repair. Should I just ignore it? I have disabled it
      for now by removing the script that runs the disk utility from the startup
      items folder.

      How about installing a newer system over the OS 7.5 you are using, like 8.1?
      Can it be done? Will that break anything? I tried to do it already, but the
      system wouldn¹t let me modify the startup disk, which is normal behavior.
      Is there some way of starting up from the installer CD, or maybe creating
      another drive that would contain the installer and start up with that, so I
      could modify the existing startup disk?
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2010
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Supanich <acsadmin@...> wrote:

        > I used your installer, and every time I start up Sheepshaver the software
        > automatically runs a disk utility and tells me I need to repair the disk
        > image on the OS X side. But, when I do that, the OS X disk utility says
        > there¹s nothing wrong with the disk. It looks like everything¹s fine
        > without running the repair. Should I just ignore it? I have disabled it
        > for now by removing the script that runs the disk utility from the startup
        > items folder.

        Try clicking Repair in the Disk First Aid window itself, rather than going
        over to OSX.

        Odd that one utility should find an error and the other not.

        Did this behavior start when you first installed, or only later on?

        Anyone else getting this with the 1.2.2 Installer?

        > How about installing a newer system over the OS 7.5 you are using, like 8.1?
        > Can it be done? Will that break anything?

        No, that's fine.

        > I tried to do it already, but the
        > system wouldn¹t let me modify the startup disk, which is normal behavior.
        > Is there some way of starting up from the installer CD, or maybe creating
        > another drive that would contain the installer and start up with that, so I
        > could modify the existing startup disk?

        Use SS Prefs to create a new volume, whatever size you want. Then insert
        your installer CD and install the OS on the new volume.

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2010
          Same problem with the disk here; the errors never get fixed, no matter how often I run Repair.

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Supanich <acsadmin@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I used your installer, and every time I start up Sheepshaver the software
          > > automatically runs a disk utility and tells me I need to repair the disk
          > > image on the OS X side. But, when I do that, the OS X disk utility says
          > > there¹s nothing wrong with the disk. It looks like everything¹s fine
          > > without running the repair. Should I just ignore it? I have disabled it
          > > for now by removing the script that runs the disk utility from the startup
          > > items folder.
          >
          > Try clicking Repair in the Disk First Aid window itself, rather than going
          > over to OSX.
          >
          > Odd that one utility should find an error and the other not.
          >
          > Did this behavior start when you first installed, or only later on?
          >
          > Anyone else getting this with the 1.2.2 Installer?

        • Bruce G
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2010
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, David Schmalz <ddschmalz@...> wrote:

            > I imagine the "tech people" are really concerned about emulators that
            > would be running Windows under something like Parallels or VM Ware
            > out of fear that they would not have control of their network and
            > whatever licenses would be needed for software and antivirus
            > programs. If you assure them that the Sheepshaver installation will
            > not have a network connection and that you are only installing the
            > software for which you already have the licenses, they should not
            > have any basis for an objection to your doing so. As was said
            > earlier, it cannot "damage" your Mac or its software. If they still
            > prohibit the installation, they are just obstructionists who need to
            > be overruled by whoever has authority over them (and in my opinion,
            > they should be replaced with someone more competent).
            >
            > Good luck,
            >
            > David
            >
            > On Jan 30, 2010, at 11:49 AM, aharbell wrote:
            >
            > > he said the 'tech people' will not allow us to use an emulator on
            > > school machines

            I can see some of the issues that the tech people have.

            I should point out that unlike Parallels or VMWare or even Wine that Sheepshaver is very unrefined. It has problems interacting with files stored on Intel mac main drive and is not the easiest thing in the world to use. That translates into more work for the IT guys which is not something yo really want.

            Furthermore there is the issue of having an emulator for just one program when there are alternatives like OpenOffice and older versions of MSword that can at least get to the text of the Wordperfect file.
          • Dennis Supanich
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2, 2010
              Responding to your questions concerning the disk repair issue noted below:

              1. This problem came up the first time I ran SS. Note that SS crashed
              the first time I ran it, probably because I had another SS installation on
              my HD. After I removed it your install of SS ran fine, but with the disk
              repair problem I noted. I tried trashing the entire thing and reinstalling,
              but that didn¹t change anything.

              2. I did try running disk repair in the SS window. First, the process
              stalls with an alert that says the test was interrupted because another
              program is using the disk (no other programs were actually running). If I
              verify again and then repair, the repair ³works.² But when I shut down and
              restart, the utility finds the same damage to the disk

              I¹m curious about this issue, but the fact is that SS seems to be running
              just fine.

              Thanks for your help.
            • Daniell Mattern
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 2, 2010
                >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Supanich <acsadmin@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> I used your installer, and every time I start up Sheepshaver the software
                >> automatically runs a disk utility and tells me I need to repair the disk
                >> image on the OS X side. But, when I do that, the OS X disk utility says
                >> there's nothing wrong with the disk. It looks like everything's fine
                >> without running the repair. Should I just ignore it? I have disabled it
                >> for now by removing the script that runs the disk utility from the startup
                >> items folder.
                >
                >Try clicking Repair in the Disk First Aid window itself, rather than going
                >over to OSX.
                >
                >Odd that one utility should find an error and the other not.
                >
                >Did this behavior start when you first installed, or only later on?
                >
                >Anyone else getting this with the 1.2.2 Installer?

                I reported a similar problem a few months ago (Core 2 Duo iMac, Snow
                Leopard). I just ignored the message and WP seemed to work okay, but
                I haven't been back in SS to give it a long-time trial.

                -- Dan