Getting started with wpmac

  • bberkeleycloyne@netzero.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 18, 2010
      Hi,

      I'm kinda new at this. I avoided getting a Mac for many years becaUse WP (or Novell or Corel, whoever owned it at the time) stopped making a Mac version and I was in love with my WP7.

      Since I found out recently that Corel had turned the last Mac version into a free distribution. -- "Let it hang there, twisting slowly, slowly in the wind." -- and then yAnked it, I have scoured the 'net and not found a Single copy.

      Could some send me a copy or tell me where to get one? I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.2, and I gather that there have been many subsequent patches, so I guess that it's really held together with spit.

      I'm also confused about the thread of someone who is running WP X4 with VM Fusion. I got that and Parallels Desktop for free whEn I bought my MacBook but have never used them because I thought that an additional operating system (i.e., the hated Windows) had to be installed to run programs under. Am I wrong?

      I have tried MS Word several times over many years and it is a piece of s***. Open Office is almost unusable as is the Mac interface, Neo Office, built on that platform. I can't even find a way to print barcodes.

      It's no wonder that all the scribblers -- lawyers -- still use WP.

      I didn't buy a Mac because I loved Windows, -- I bought it to chuck Windows out the window -- so it seems peculiar and subversive to me to get one and then install Windows as a second operating system.

      If I hAve to install something else, I'd rather it be BeOS.

      But I think our time might be better spent agitating against Corel to force them to make a Mac version (I.e., a petition promising to buy it, possibly by giving them a small deposit along with the petition) or forcing their hand and licensing the platform to someone who would develop it.

      Gene. Lang
      bberkeleycloyne@...
      Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 18, 2010
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, bberkeleycloyne@... wrote:

        > Could some send me a copy or tell me where to get one?

        At the top center of this group's home page is a description. Within it is
        a link to a file named "Getting Started with WP Mac". Click on that.

        > I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.2, and I gather that there have
        > been many subsequent patches, so I guess that it's really held
        > together with spit.

        There have been two patches since the last major release. The program
        is more stable than it ever was in its history.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 18, 2010

          > At the top center of this group's home page is a description. Within it is
          > a link to a file named "Getting Started with WP Mac". Click on that.

          John, A quick suggestion for that file: perhaps instead of "A. PPC Mac" etc, that might have a line in huge bold letters that says something like "STOP! Carefully study the two options A and B below, and only then choose the one appropriate to your Mac." and then use headers in big bold letters that say something like "A. If (and ONLY if) you have a PowerPC-based Mac running OS etc...." and then "B. If (and ONLY if) you have an Intel-based Mac ...."

          I write this from much time-wasting experience maintaining a support site. You can easily guess what sort of problems I've been trying to avoid.
        • Neil Dorfman
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 18, 2010
            Wonder if you can help with this problem: I am running SheepShaver, I click
            on the Wpprogram and it opens, I would now like to import WP documents sent
            to me by another atty and convert it to word. They are on my Mac desktop.
            However When I go to file/open under Sheepshaver the options are Trashes,
            clip art, documentation , rh webster dictionary, system folder, utilities,
            and wp folder....where do I find my document to convert?
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 18, 2010
              In OSX, put the document in the transfer folder which, as installed, is the Documents
              folder of your Home (user) folder. Then go to SheepShaver and open the Unix
              folder. That's actually another view of the same folder.

              John R.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 18, 2010
                John,

                I am not sure whether this thread refers to me or someone else or both of us.

                But now that I know that a WP for Mac exists, your question about whether I was attempting to install the Mac or PC version -- something I hadn't even considered -- comes into play. Before, I was under the impression that I could only install the PC version (and I've bought a copy of WP x4 Standard for my netbook) on my MacBook if I installed Windows first, but now I am not so sure. Since I have both Parallels and Fusion, the question of which platform I want to install arises.

                And I guess that the answer to that question will come from the answer to another question: Which is the better platform? Does the Mac version come with a spreadsheet and presentation software? My new WP x4 does. Has Corel made any significant improvements since the WP 7 that I have been using since 1997? Are there any significant improvements since the last Mac release? Have the two patches added just stability and/or compatibility and/or additional features?

                Also, I got back the Delivery Failure notice copied just below my name, but my post did wind up on the BB, so I have no idea of what it means.

                Thanks!

                Gene Lang
                (917) 353-4422

                "The original message was received at 2010-01-18 11:33:51 -0800
                from postoffice.san.rr.com [10.0.0.1]

                <bberry1091@...>

                -----Transcript of session follows -----
                ... while talking to postoffice.san.rr.com.:
                >>> RCPT To:<bberry1091@...>
                <<< 550 5.1.1 unknown or illegal alias: bberry1091@...
                550 <bberry1091@...>... User unknown

                Last-Attempt-Date: 2010-01-18 11:33:51 -0800

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 18, 2010
                  Probably no one can tell you whether you'll like a program or not. Why not simply try them out? You can try WP for the Mac from this site and keep or not, as you prefer. That will also tell you everything you need to know about what it does. You can download a trial version of WP for Windows from Corel's site, and install it in Windows under Parallels or Fusion (or Boot Camp) and see if you prefer it to your old WP 7. There's a very active forum about WP for Windows at http://wpuniverse.com, and you can find many postings about different versions there.