Where to get OS9?

  • Tom Wyrick
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 14, 2010
      Ron, in the past, I've helped out a few other people in a situation similar to yours. They were long-time loyal Mac users, and "set in their ways". But for one reason or another, they got rid of their old Mac and upgraded to a new machine. And now they've got OS X staring them in the face, with all of its changes and new/different software choices, and it's all a bit overwhelming.

      First of all, I think people have to face the facts that in the world of computing, things DO change on a regular basis. Part of being a "computer user" means having that willingness to be flexible and change with the times.

      Alternately, you can "let it all move on without you" and you can stubbornly stick to the old systems and software that you know and love. (If they can still sell old Victrola record players that play recordings on wax cylinders, you can certainly keep finding older Macs to use with MacOS 9.x, too! Just don't expect it to be "easy" to do, especially as time passes, and don't expect a whole lot of folks to understand or agree with your decision.)

      Personally, I think the SheepShaver solution is great, for a free, community-supported answer to keep WP going on OS X, but no - it's not the same experience as MacOS running natively on hardware intended to run it as the main OS.

      I'd actually say WordPerfect for Windows, running in a virtual machine under Parallels Desktop or VMWare might make the most sense for you. That way, you keep your new Intel based Mini and you keep OS X with all of its benefits, but you made it more powerful/flexible than before by adding a way to launch Windows on-demand, and WP will run nicely in it.
    • queryist2005
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 15, 2010

        > You're not doing something wrong; does your disappointment result from the fact that WP is running on an old Mac desktop or something else?
        --------------
        At this point I haven't tried to do much with it. But what I have observed so far is: 1) the document text is blurry, 2) I am repeatedly getting a dialog box message saying that SheepShaver can't find my Unix folder, 3) the font menu runs down past the bottom of the screen and I am unable to scroll down to access fonts at the bottom of the list, and 4) I am totally confused by the instructions on "Accessing OSX files and folders" in the PDF file "Using WordPerfect with SheepShaver." Part of what worries me about #4 is that I may inadvertently do something wrong that will corrupt one of the volumes. Alas, I am not as computer savvy as I would like to be.

        If anyone can shed some light on any of these concerns, I'd appreciate it.

        Ron
      • palnudb
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 15, 2010
          The comment to run WP for windows in a VM.
          Has anyone tried WP for win in crossover?
          Or tried it in windows in virtualbox?

          Thank You
          Brian Dunlap

          (Sent from my iPhone)
        • Thomas Briant
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 15, 2010
            I've tried WP for Win in Crossover for Mac. No luck.

            I did enjoy success running it under XP Home with Virtual Box

            Tom Briant
            Editor, MacValley Voice
            On Jan 15, 2010, at 11:12 AM, palnudb wrote:

            > The comment to run WP for windows in a VM.
            > Has anyone tried WP for win in crossover?
            > Or tried it in windows in virtualbox?
            >
            > Thank You
            > Brian Dunlap
            >
            > (Sent from my iPhone)

          • Chuck Jones
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 15, 2010
              Yes, but the keyboard short cuts are missing.

              Yahweh's Blessings
              Chuck Jones

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 16, 2010
                > 1) the document text is blurry

                Use Edit/Preferences/Font and change the font from Lucida Grande to Geneva or something else that looks better.

                >2) I am repeatedly getting a dialog box message saying that SheepShaver can't find my Unix folder,

                That typically happens after you open the Sheepshaver Preferences dialog. If you open the Sheepshaver preferences dialog for any reason, shut down Sheepshaver immediately afterwards. If this continues anyway, use the Preferences to make sure that Unix root is listed as: /users/YOURUSERNAME/Documents

                3) the font menu runs down past the bottom of the screen and I am unable to scroll down to access fonts at the bottom of the list

                If you can't see the arrow at the bottom of the font men, then use the SheepShaver preferences to increase the height of the SheepShaver window - go to the Audio/Video tab, and increase the height to at least 672

                4) I am totally confused by the instructions on "Accessing OSX files and folders" in the PDF file "Using WordPerfect with SheepShaver."

                I haven't looked at that document, but the way to get documents in or out of the SheepShaver system is to put those documents in your OS X "Documents" folder - that's the folder named "Documents" in your home folder (the one with your user name). In OS X that folder is called Documents, but when you're in SheepShaver, the same folder is called Unix for programmer-style reasons. The ONLY thing you need to remember is that that the disk or folder named Unix in SheepShaver is exactly the same as your Documents folder in OS X.

                The ONLY thing you need to be careful about is this: when you are working on a document in WordPerfect, do NOT try to do anything with that document through any OS X program. You would then be trying to use the same document with two different computers (even though one of them is a "virtual" computer.) There is a chance - a small chance, but a real one - that you'll mess up your document.

                In the same way it's very unlikely that you will try to "mount" (i.e. open on the desktop) the SheepShaver disk itself by double-clicking on the SheepShaver.dmg icon in the SheepShaver application folder, but you don't want to do that while SheepShaver is running.

                (John, if you're reading this, let me suggest that you try using the new .sheepvm system, in which the SheepShaver disk is hidden away inside the application, so only a really determined and very expert user could access it directly. I'll post a link to my revised system that works this way in a day or two.)
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 16, 2010
                  With WPWin X4 running in VMware Fusion, all the keyboard shortcuts are available - I assume you mean combinations of the function keys and Alt and Ctrl keys (for example Alt-F4), function keys alone (F1, F9, etc.) and Ctrl-letter keys such as Ctrl-Z. I've never found one that doesn't work.

                  Perhaps other emulators handle this matter differently?

                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Jones <carolsguy@...> wrote:

                  > Yes, but the keyboard short cuts are missing.
                  >
                  > Yahweh's Blessings
                  > Chuck Jones
                  >

                  > On Jan 15, 2010, at 11:12 AM, palnudb wrote:
                  >
                  > > The comment to run WP for windows in a VM.
                  > > Has anyone tried WP for win in crossover?
                  > > Or tried it in windows in virtualbox?
                  > >
                  > > Thank You
                  > > Brian Dunlap
                  > >
                  > > (Sent from my iPhone)

                • Chuck Jones
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 17, 2010
                    Yes I did not make myself clear. It's the shift+f7; control+f7 and alt+f7, that I was most disappointed with.
                    Yahweh's Blessings
                    Chuck Jones

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 17, 2010
                      Hmm... all those combinations work perfectly here, in WordPerfect under Snow Leopard running VMware Fusion, on a MacBook. Maybe VMware captures the F7 key before Apple keyboard settings use it - or maybe I used an option in VMware to do that, but have now forgotten it. But all those keys work perfectly here.