WP-L-Digest 1996/04/17 #011

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2004
      Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 12:44:00 -0500
      From: Arthur & Bonnie Joyce <ajoyce [email address protected]Subject:
      Re: Novice to WP

      christopher jones wrote:

      > Rose --
      >
      > >1. Is there a command or macro to delete all the carriage returns in
      a file
      > >d/l'd from the internet or a service like AOL?
      >
      > Probably, but I don't know. I open d/l's with a text editor (Tex-Edit
      Plus,

      Guys, guysä

      WP has an excellent macro to do just that. I think it installed when I
      installed WP 3.5. It's called "Text Cleaner" - Check it out - under the
      Tools-Macros menu - all the way at the bottom.

      Art

      --
      Arthur & Bonnie Joyce
      ajoyce [email address protected]To educate a man in mind and not in

      ------------------------------
      Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 15:43:56 -0400
      From: jhbauer [email address protected]Jonathan Bauer)
      Subject: Note Editor v. 3 beta & WP Citations

      >Anyone want to beta test v. 3 of these macros? Faster, leaner, more
      >bulletproof. Supports easy cross-referencing of footnotes and endnotes.
      >
      >John R.

      Hi -

      I'd love to. Also, I've started toying with yourWordPerfect/FileMaker
      Pro/Applescript citations templates to use for law applications
      (creating a
      bibliography of cases) and as a legal citator. I noticed that a
      Filemaker
      Pro 3 version is in the works. Is that expected anytime soon or should
      start working with version 1.1.2?

      Thanks!

      /jonathan

      ----------------------------------
      Jonathan Bauer <jhbauer [email address protected]440 W. 41st St. #202
      N.Y. N.Y. 10036
      USA
      +1 212-239-5158

      ------------------------------
      Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 13:26:02 -0700
      From: hart [email address protected]Stephen Hart)
      Subject: Glossary?

      Is there a way to create a glossary in WP 3.5, similary to the glossary
      function in Word 5.1? QuickCorrect appears to have a limit on the size
      of
      the item.
      Steve (learning to switch)

      ------------------------------
      Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 21:26:37 -0500
      From: "Dr. Myer Savits" <savits [email address protected]edu>
      Subject: Re: HIDDEN TEXT

      I can't figure out how to produce hidden text(so I can put answers on
      a test sheet but only print the questions. Any tips?

      ------------------------------
      Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 10:38:22 -0500 (CDT)
      From: "William M. Porter" <WMPORTER [email address protected]EDU>
      Subject: Re: WORD VS WORDPERFECT VS NISUS: Which BETTER/FASTER

      Demetre Argialas asked about WordPerfect and Nisus Writer. I published a
      lenthy comparative review of the two programs (comparing NW4 and WP3.1)
      year ago in the H-MAC list on the Internet; that review is now archived
      at the H-MAC (History & the Macintosh) home page, for which I'm
      embarrassed to say I don't have URL handy. (Anyone who's curious can
      write to me and I'll dig it up.) I think it is also available in Sumex
      archives, and in library 2 of the Mac Applications forum on Compuserve
      (where I am the section leader for word processing).

      Bottom line: I'm using WordPerfect 3.5, not Nisus Writer 4. But that
      statement in itself is meaningless unless you know what I'm doing with
      my
      wordprocessor, and of course you don't. I think that NW's macro language
      is too difficult and too limited: you can't do with a macro in NW half
      of
      what you can in WordPerfect. NW's implementation of paragraph styles is
      profoundly flawed. NW's tables are frames, like tables in MacWrite Pro,
      and thus cannot be placed across a page break. You can't get a WYSIWYG
      view of your document at 100% unless you have a full-page monitor, since
      the NW 'page preview' mode doesn't allow you to change the
      magnification.
      It always forces you to view an entire page, which on a normal 13" or
      14"
      monitor means viewing at just a little better than 50%. NW's line
      numbering scheme is basically worthless: You can only number lines in an
      ENTIRE DOCUMENT, which one seldom wants to do. NW does not support
      outlining at all. There are some macros that fake outlining distributed
      with the program, but what they give you can't compare with the
      outliners
      in Word, ClarisWorks or FullWrite Pro, and the comparison with
      WordPerfect is to WordPerfect's advantage.

      I'm overlooking a lot.

      Nisus Writer has a couple specialized advantages, which I do not think
      matter to MOST users -- but do indeed matter a lot to SOME.

      1) It provides the best support of any Mac wordprocessor for non-Roman
      scripts. If you are using a Mac and writing both in English (or any
      European language) and a non-Roman script like Hebrew, Arabic or
      Japanese, you should consider Nisus Writer.

      2) It has a very impressive search & replace feature. I can't think of
      anything to do with it (and if I was suddenly struck by a need for GREP
      searching, I could use BBEdit or BBEdit Lite). But some people
      apparently
      find this feature something they can't live without.

      3) Nisus Writer stores the formatting info in the resource fork of its
      files, meaning that ANY word processor can open any file created in
      Nisus
      Writer and access at least the text (data) part of the file. This seems
      to me a really clever idea and I wish that all word processors worked
      this way -- it would make file translation vastly less aggravating than
      it is.

      4) Multiple clipboards and virtually unlimited undos/redos. Not as neat
      or unique as once they were. Word now has multiple undos/redos. (I've
      never made a terrible mistake, done more than a hundred things
      afterwards, then wanted to undo the last hundred things to redo the step
      that was the mistake. But apparently their are people out there who
      have.
      I can't imagine how they manage to make breakfast for themselves in the
      a.m., let alone get any work done on the computer. But it's probably
      just
      me.) As for multiple clipboards, there are shareware utilities available
      on the Net now that give you this capability inside ANY application.

      Will Porter
      University of Houston (Texas, USA)
      Section Leader for Mac Wordprocessing on Compuserve

      ------------------------------
      Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 12:48:38 -0400
      From: andrea [email address protected]upenn.edu (Andrea MacDonald)
      Subject: Re: Novice to WP

      >More specifically:
      >1. Is there a command or macro to delete all the carriage returns in a
      file
      >d/l'd from the internet or a service like AOL?
      >*** Yes, it is called Text Cleaner.

      If you have the full version of 3.5 there should be a file in the
      Documention folder in the Wordperfect folder called "Sample Macros
      Readme"
      or something like that. Open the document and follow the directions for
      installing the macros. One of the macros is Text Cleaner

      andrea

      ------------------------------
      Date: Wed, 17 Apr 96 13:15:22 EDT
      From: "David A. Heintz" <DAHeintz [email address protected]COM>
      Subject: re: Note Editor macros, v. 3 beta

      John,

      Count me in

      David A. Heintz

      ------------------------------
      Date: 17 Apr 1996 12:19:21 -0800
      From: "Barry Fass-Holmes" <barry_fass-holmes [email address
      protected]k12.ca.us>

      Reply to: RE>>HIDDEN TEXT

      I can't figure out how to produce hidden text(so I can put answers on
      a test sheet but only print the questions. Any tips?
      *** I've also wanted to produce hidden text (for reasons different than
      yours,
      though). My workaround is to make the text color white. Such text is
      *not*
      seen on the printed page (if your document window's background is a
      color
      other than the default white, then you will be able to see it on
      screen).

      BTW: WordPerfect for Windows 6.1 has a terrific feature called Comment
      (actually, the DOS version had this also, but it is more useful in the
      Windows
      version). Comment is essentially what you would want; i.e., it enables
      you to
      generate text that you can see on screen, but it does not print. I am
      99.9%
      certain that Comment does not exist in WPMac 3.x.

      If only Corel would implement the feature set of WPWin 6.1 in a
      near-future
      version of WPMac (and make it native rather than a Windows-port like
      Microsoft
      did with Word 6.x) ...

      Barry Fass-Holmes

      ------------------------------
      Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 15:26:25 -0400
      From: jcr2 [email address protected]John Rethorst)
      Subject: Re: Note Editor v. 3 beta & WP Citations

      [Sending you the beta via private mail]
      >Also, I've started toying with yourWordPerfect/FileMaker
      >Pro/Applescript citations templates to use for law applications
      (creating a
      >bibliography of cases) and as a legal citator. I noticed that a
      Filemaker
      >Pro 3 version is in the works. Is that expected anytime soon or
      should I
      >start working with version 1.1.2?

      I hope to get to the Citations for FM v. 3 by the early summer - school
      won't let me do anything sooner. V. 1.1.2 works with FM v.3 except that
      the
      marking of a reference, so the next citation will be in the subsequent
      format, seems broken, due to a change in FM's handling of Apple Events.
      So
      when using v3, every citation gets the subsequent format. Brother . . .

      Quick fix is to add a 20 second delay to the FM Citation script, so it
      reads:

      Send Apple Event ["Put Reference", "aevt", "oapp"]
      Pause/Resume Script ["0:00:20"]
      Cut [Select, "Mark"]
      Paste Literal ["X"]

      to let the data get out of there before the X is pasted in the Mark
      field.
      That's a nuisance of a wait, which I'll get rid of as soon as I get to
      it.

      John

      ------------------------------
      Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 15:26:30 -0400
      From: jcr2 [email address protected]John Rethorst)
      Subject: Re: Glossary?

      At 4:26 PM 4/16/96, Stephen Hart wrote:
      >Is there a way to create a glossary in WP 3.5, similary to the glossary
      >function in Word 5.1? QuickCorrect appears to have a limit on the size
      of
      >the item.
      >Steve (learning to switch)

      Download my Glossary macros from Sumex (in the text/wp folder). I think
      you'll like them.

      John

      ------------------------------
      Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 15:26:34 -0400
      From: jcr2 [email address protected]John Rethorst)

      At 10:26 PM 4/16/96, Dr. Myer Savits wrote:
      >I can't figure out how to produce hidden text(so I can put answers on
      >a test sheet but only print the questions. Any tips?

      Define a style with text color white, and another to show the answers as
      you want them to appear on your answer guide. Use this macro to change
      styles:

      Goto top of document ()
      Repeat
      Find next code (forward; style on)
      If (currentstyle="whateveryounamedyourstyle")
      Apply Style ("theotherstyle")
      end if
      if (currentstyle="theotherstyle")
      Apply Style ("whateveryounamedyourstyle")
      end if
      until (!findstatusflag)

      If you want to delete the space that would otherwise show when the
      hidden
      style is in effect, you can add a font size of 1 and leading of -1 to
      that
      style definition.

      Another way is to put your answers in text boxes, and toggle the
      contents
      visible flag.

      John

      ------------------------------
      Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 16:31:50 -0400
      From: andrea [email address protected]upenn.edu (Andrea MacDonald)

      > Reply to: RE>>HIDDEN TEXT
      >
      >I can't figure out how to produce hidden text(so I can put answers on
      >a test sheet but only print the questions. Any tips?
      >*** I've also wanted to produce hidden text (for reasons different
      than yours,
      >though). My workaround is to make the text color white. Such text is
      *not*
      >seen on the printed page (if your document window's background is a
      color
      >other than the default white, then you will be able to see it on
      screen).

      I've also seen an annotation macro.... Check it out with john r.

      ------------------------------
      Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 15:05:16 -0600
      From: Ken Freeman <kfreeman [email address protected]Subject: Corel
      Macintosh Committment

      Many have been wondering, "What's going to happen to WordPerfect for
      Macintosh now under Corel?" One loyal WordPerfect user, Thomas
      Whitmore of Chapel Hill, North Carolina, wrote a sincere note
      expressing
      his concern that Corel is so committed to the Windows world that it
      will let
      the Mac version of WP dry up. He pleaded, "Please don't abandon us."

      I am here to tell you that WordPerfect for Macintosh is in good hands! I
      have worked with WordPerfect for Macintosh for almost six years and
      am a Mac Fanatic through and through. The rest of the Macintosh team
      are true blue Mac users as well. We all feel that Corel is the type of
      company who can give us the attention needed to make the best
      Macintosh products anywhere.

      It's true that Corel is very involved in the development of Windows
      software. However Macintosh is also a priority. The next major release
      of
      WordPerfect for Macintosh is well underway and Corel will continue to
      offer the best support of Apple technologies and the Macintosh
      interface.

      Corel will also continue to offer the same world class customer support.
      WordPerfect customers can now receive free, unlimited technical support
      (toll charges apply). Corel has also implemented an Interactive Voice
      Response (IVR) system that provides answers to commonly asked
      questions while you wait on the phone lines. Also available is a fax
      back
      service, BBS support, online support (on both America Online and
      CompuServe), and World Wide Web support.

      Remember this: Corel made an informed decision to purchase
      WordPerfect Macintosh software and Corel is confident that the
      Macintosh market is active and growing. Last year Corel introduced a
      number of multimedia titles, clipart collections, and stock
      photography, all
      for Macintosh! This year WordPerfect for Macintosh and CorelDRAW for
      Macintosh will also release. Development plans have also been
      announced for Print House for Macintosh (a layout package for
      letterhead, greeting cards, banners, brochures, etc.).

      In the upcoming weeks Corel will repackage an updated version of
      WordPerfect 3.5 that includes problem fixes and feature enhancements.
      This update will be available for current WordPerfect users at no cost.
      Look for Corel WordPerfect at MacWorld Boston!

      Thanks for listening! I am interested to hear your feelings and
      concerns.
      Feel free to contact me at Kfreeman [email address protected]Ken Freeman
      Macintosh Product Marketing Manager
      Corel WordPerfect
      Kfreeman [email address protected]Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 17:32:37 -0500
      From: "Dr. Myer Savits" <savits [email address protected]edu>
      Subject: [Fwd: Re: HIDDEN TEXT]

      --------------79646F321791

      That idea about white text is interesting. How would I print it out
      (if I wanted a hard copy of the text)?How would I print it out (if I

      Sender: wp-l [email address protected]com
      Date: 17 Apr 1996 12:19:21 -0800
      From: "Barry Fass-Holmes" <barry_fass-holmes [email address
      protected]k12.ca.us>
      To: Multiple recipients of <wp-l [email address protected]com>

      Reply to: RE>>HIDDEN TEXT

      --------------79646F321791--

      ------------------------------
      Date: 17 Apr 1996 16:08:18 -0800
      From: "Barry Fass-Holmes" <barry_fass-holmes [email address
      protected]k12.ca.us>
      Subject: Re: [Fwd- Re- HIDDEN TEXT]

      Reply to: RE>[Fwd: Re: HIDDEN TEXT]

      That idea about white text is interesting. How would I print it out
      (if I wanted a hard copy of the text)?How would I print it out (if I
      wanted a hard copy of the text)?
      *** When you select the color white (or any other, for that matter), a
      code is
      inserted (you can see it by turning on Reveal Codes). When you print a
      copy
      for your students, leave the code in place. When you print a copy for
      yourself, turn on Reveal Codes, delete the color code, and you could
      even
      change the typeface style for the previously-white text to italics or
      bold (to
      make it easier for you to spot the answers to the exam questions in the
      printout).

      Barry Fass-Holmes

      ------------------------------
      Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 21:52:02 -0400
      From: bononno [email address protected]edu (Robert Bononno)
      Subject: Auto-document name in footer

      Is there a way to automatically insert the name of a document in a
      footer
      or to have WP prompt you for a document name, which it will then insert
      into a footer at a predetermined location. I created a simple Footer
      Style
      that puts the current date on the right margin along with my name. I'd
      like
      the document name to appear on the left margin, but it's a pain to
      constantly modify the style. A macro prompt (I'm familiar with WP 5.1
      macros but am fairly new to the Mac) would be nice.

      >> Robert Bononno +++++ Techline ++++++ bononno [email address
      protected]edu <<