[ANN] Automatic, plug-and-play SheepShaver install

    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 11, 2010
      This install is completely automatic: just double-click to install the latest version of SheepShaver and a complete WordPerfect 3.5e. No configuration or other user interaction required.

      This will run WordPerfect Mac on Intel machines, on OS 10.4 or later.

      Many thanks to Ed Mendelson, whose technique for writing a prefs file I shamelessly borrowed.

      Free in the Links section here, in the SheepShaver and Basilisk folder, as "SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install 1.2.dmg".

      John R.
    • Cydne
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 11, 2010
        I just downloaded the installer. Everything seems fine...except that I have a tiny little half-heigth window that I can't enlarge. Is that as big as it goes? And if not, what do I need to do to get something larger?

        TIA
        Cydne
        --
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 11, 2010
          The window should be full height, and cover most of the screen horizontally. Quit SheepShaver and open SheepShaverPrefs, in the SS folder in the Applications folder of your home folder. In the Audio / Video pane, what are the Width and Height settings? Try 1200 width and 860 height.

          John R.

          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 11, 2010
            John
            For those of us with fully functioning systems, what does this add? I'm
            using Sheepshaver 2.3 (2009-10-25).

            Thanks

            Geoff

            Geoff Gilbert
            Professor of Law
            School of Law and Human Rights Centre
            University of Essex
            Wivenhoe Park
            Colchester
            CO4 3SQ

            Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
            Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
            Email: geoff (for those outside the University, add @ followed by essex.ac.uk)

            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 11, 2010
              Nothing. The next update will allow opening WP files in SS from OSX, i.e.
              double-clicking on them in OSX, and will support direct access from WP
              to the OSX dictionary, though.

              > John
              > For those of us with fully functioning systems, what does this add?
            • Bill & Bunny Kuhlman
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 11, 2010
                This install script works flawlessly and is incredibly fast.
                Congratulations and thanks so much! I've installed
                Sheepshaver/WordPerfect on a 2009 MacBook Pro 17" and have been able
                to successfully add FrameMaker 5 to the Sheepshaver environment.

                I still have an up and running G2 Minitower (333MHz), but it is sure
                nice to have the ability to carry a more distant OS and various
                applications on the MacBook Pro.

                I do have a question... Might it be possible to enlarge the
                Sheepshaver disk image space from its current 500+MB to a full 1.0GB
                or more? I have so many pre-OS X applications I can now use within
                Sheepshaver that it would be fantastic to have the additional HD
                space.

                I also noticed that the current OS in Sheepshaver is 7.5. Can I
                upgrade this to 8.6 (my favorite pre-OS X OS) without having to
                reinstall Sheepshaver or should I bite the bullet and install the G3
                ROM and OS 8.6 from scratch?

                Bill & Bunny Kuhlman
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 11, 2010
                  John,

                  Very elegant and impressive. I especially like the way you create the prefs file from the installer script - far more elegant than my method of using a separate file.

                  Two quick comments:

                  As someone else remarked, on a 13-inch MacBook the SheepShaver window is a vertical dimension far too small to be usable. Would you consider revising the formula for determining the screen size, so that the vertical dimension is never less than (say) 672, which will fit nicely on a small MacBook screen?

                  Next, I was puzzled for a moment by the variable "biff" in the installer script. I thought for a moment that you were using the unix command "biff" (an e-mail notifier) and then realized it was (I think) an arbitrary name. Does it mean anything special?

                  Again, well-done!

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 11, 2010
                    John

                    Now that's progress!

                    On 12/01/2010 01:16, John R wrote:

                    > Nothing. The next update will allow opening WP files in SS from OSX, i.e.
                    > double-clicking on them in OSX, and will support direct access from WP
                    > to the OSX dictionary, though.
                    >
                    > John R.
                    >

                    > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert<Geoff@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> John
                    >> For those of us with fully functioning systems, what does this add?

                    > .

                  • Martin McHugh
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 12, 2010
                      Installed easily, however I had the same short screen issue that I
                      resolved except now my "wordperfect" screen is narrow. How do I fix
                      that. Also, how do I transfer files to the sheepsaver screen?
                      Thanks. Martin.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 12, 2010
                        Use SheepShaverPrefs to create a 1gb disk and install OS 8.6 on it.

                        John R.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 12, 2010

                          > Very elegant and impressive.

                          Ed, thanks for your kind words, especially considering how elegant and
                          impressive your WP Appliance is. I was not able to match your OSX package
                          (nor copy it, perhaps since I'm on Tiger).

                          At one point, I noticed a WP PPC file at your download site. I was unable to
                          test it, as it appeared it needed Leopard, but if you'd like to make that
                          available, that would be fine. The more choices we can give WPMac members,
                          the better.

                          > Two quick comments:
                          >
                          > As someone else remarked, on a 13-inch MacBook the SheepShaver
                          > window is a vertical dimension far too small to be usable. Would you
                          > consider revising the formula for determining the screen size, so
                          > that the vertical dimension is never less than (say) 672, which will
                          > fit nicely on a small MacBook screen?

                          I intended the calculation to produce a full-height window but apparently
                          that doesn't work on some screens. I'll change it to a minimum of 672.

                          > Next, I was puzzled for a moment by the variable "biff" in the
                          > installer script. I thought for a moment that you were using the
                          > unix command "biff" (an e-mail notifier) and then realized it was
                          > (I think) an arbitrary name. Does it mean anything special?

                          It's just a throwaway variable.

                          > Again, well-done!

                          Thanks so much! and thanks again for your WP Appliance, both as
                          an example for this one and for its substantial value for WPMac.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 12, 2010
                            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Martin McHugh <msm859@...> wrote:

                            > Installed easily, however I had the same short screen issue that I
                            > resolved except now my "wordperfect" screen is narrow. How do I fix
                            > that.

                            If you mean the SheepShaver screen is narrow, change that in SheepShaverPrefs.
                            Change the WordPerfect screen itself in Page Setup.

                            > Also, how do I transfer files to the sheepsaver screen?

                            Using the transfer folder: Unix on the SheepShaver side, and your
                            Documents folder (unless you've changed it) on the OSX side.

                            John R.
                          • Martin McHugh
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 13, 2010
                              Okay, so how do you get something to print? The only printer showing
                              is "Adobe PS" And it just saves - doesn't print. Thanks, Martin.

                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 14, 2010
                                Martin

                                Use the Laserwriter8 printer, not the Adobe PS. Print to File, not
                                Printer. Make sure that you have set the folder in which you save the
                                .ps file to be the one that Preview then prints from using John's macro.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 14, 2010

                                  > Use the Laserwriter8 printer, not the Adobe PS. Print to File, not
                                  > Printer.

                                  What difference do you find between the two drivers? I can include the
                                  Laserwriter 8 in the next update, which should be along soon, but I don't
                                  see anything it does that the Adobe doesn't do, at least for printing to
                                  a file.

                                  > Make sure that you have set the folder in which you save the
                                  > .ps file to be the one that Preview then prints from using John's macro.

                                  That's the "SheepShaver Print-PDF.scpt" folder action script in the
                                  user's Library, in the Scripts folder.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 14, 2010
                                    John

                                    No idea why, but Adobe PS always crashed sheepshaver for me ... and I
                                    emphasise, for me. I don't think it's a generic problem. Laserwriter 8
                                    worked. I am using 8.6, by the way, and I don't know if that's part of it.

                                    And once again, congratulations on this masterwork.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 18, 2010
                                      Complete setup for running WordPerfect on Intel Macintoshes.

                                      This version is a minor update, fixing screen size calculation for small screens.

                                      Free, in the Links section here, in the SheepShaver and Basilisk folder, as

                                      SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install 1.2.1.dmg

                                      John R.
                                    • Ricki Tannen
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 18, 2010
                                        Could you be more specific as to how to install this? I have been a wp user
                                        for twenty years, since 4.2 and am writing a book using an old laptop and
                                        not my Mac because of not being able to use WP. I tried to install the
                                        sheepsaver and the other suggestions to no avail. Now I am told I have to
                                        buy a new Windows operating system to install on the Mac in order to run
                                        Fusion or Parrallels. Is there no other way that is simple. I did manage to
                                        partition the drive through bootcamp, but I am not a It guru, just want to
                                        use the word processor I know. Neo-office or Open Office is missing so many
                                        of the things I like about wordperfect, the F-8 key, the thesaurus window,
                                        revell codes. I don't have to explain, I know.

                                        But I need a Step 1, Step 2, Step 3 kind of instruction to try and make it
                                        work. I have been a windows user for many years but have been taken over by
                                        the Mac's reliability and elegance. But I still write on an old laptop which
                                        has wp and then convert to word or PDF to share.

                                        Any help would be appreciated.
                                        Thanks, Ricki Tannen
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jan 18, 2010
                                          It's unclear whether you want to install WP for the Mac or WP for Windows.
                                          The SheepShaver setup installs WP Mac on an Intel Macintosh. Parallels,
                                          Fusion, Bootcamp etc. run WP for Windows on a Mac.

                                          John R.

                                          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Ricki Tannen <rickitannen@...> wrote:

                                          > Could you be more specific as to how to install this? I have been a wp user
                                          > for twenty years, since 4.2 and am writing a book using an old laptop and
                                          > not my Mac because of not being able to use WP. I tried to install the
                                          > sheepsaver and the other suggestions to no avail. Now I am told I have to
                                          > buy a new Windows operating system to install on the Mac in order to run
                                          > Fusion or Parrallels. Is there no other way that is simple. I did manage to
                                          > partition the drive through bootcamp, but I am not a It guru, just want to
                                          > use the word processor I know. Neo-office or Open Office is missing so many
                                          > of the things I like about wordperfect, the F-8 key, the thesaurus window,
                                          > revell codes. I don't have to explain, I know.
                                          >
                                          > But I need a Step 1, Step 2, Step 3 kind of instruction to try and make it
                                          > work. I have been a windows user for many years but have been taken over by
                                          > the Mac's reliability and elegance. But I still write on an old laptop which
                                          > has wp and then convert to word or PDF to share.
                                          >
                                          > Any help would be appreciated.
                                          > Thanks, Ricki Tannen

                                        • Dr. Richard A. Warshak
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jan 18, 2010
                                            I am running Windows XP in VMWare Fusion and WordPerfect 11 on my 15" Macbook Pro (with Intel). I'd like to be able to open the WP files from the Mac side. They reside on a shared folder (z).Which download, if any, would work for this?

                                            Richard
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jan 18, 2010
                                              Exactly which version of WordPerfect are you trying to use? You mentioned F8, which is the underline key in WordPerfect for DOS, so I *think* you may mean WordPerfect for DOS, but please let us know if you mean WordPerfect for Windows or WordPerfect for DOS.

                                              Either way, if you are not technically expert, you are probably going to have to buy VMware Fusion (or Parallels Desktop, but Fusion is probably easier to work with) and a copy of Windows XP, and go through the whole procedure of installing it. This forum is definitely not the place to ask about that procedure; you should visit the help forums devoted to VMware Fusion or Parallels; they are accessible through the web sites of each program itself.

                                              If you are trying to run WordPefect for DOS 5.1 or 6.something, then you should also consult this page:

                                              http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/wpdosmac.html

                                              The bad news is that there is NO - repeat NO - simple way to install WordPerfect for DOS or Windows on a Mac. The good news is that once you have it set up, it will continue to work smoothly.

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jan 18, 2010
                                                I have wp academic 2000 and also wp 12 both windows based. The route
                                                you suggest will cost many hundred dollars. An operating system fir
                                                windows and the fusion. Can't afford it. Thanks for your reply

                                                On Jan 18, 2010, at 12:38 PM, "em315" <em315@...> wrote:

                                                > Exactly which version of WordPerfect are you trying to use? You
                                                > mentioned F8, which is the underline key in WordPerfect for DOS, so
                                                > I *think* you may mean WordPerfect for DOS, but please let us know
                                                > if you mean WordPerfect for Windows or WordPerfect for DOS.
                                                >
                                                > Either way, if you are not technically expert, you are probably
                                                > going to have to buy VMware Fusion (or Parallels Desktop, but Fusion
                                                > is probably easier to work with) and a copy of Windows XP, and go
                                                > through the whole procedure of installing it. This forum is
                                                > definitely not the place to ask about that procedure; you should
                                                > visit the help forums devoted to VMware Fusion or Parallels; they
                                                > are accessible through the web sites of each program itself.
                                                >
                                                > If you are trying to run WordPefect for DOS 5.1 or 6.something, then
                                                > you should also consult this page:
                                                >
                                                > http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/wpdosmac.html
                                                >
                                                > The bad news is that there is NO - repeat NO - simple way to install
                                                > WordPerfect for DOS or Windows on a Mac. The good news is that once
                                                > you have it set up, it will continue to work smoothly.
                                                >
                                                > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Ricki Tannen
                                                > <rickitannen@...> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > Could you be more specific as to how to install this? I have been
                                                > a wp user
                                                > > for twenty years, since 4.2 and am writing a book using an old
                                                > laptop and
                                                > > not my Mac because of not being able to use WP.

                                              • David Derbes
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jan 18, 2010
                                                  I've replied to Ricki Tannen off-list. He or she is looking for a free solution for his or her Mac,
                                                  and John's one-click installer of WP Mac/SheepShaver will fit the bill nicely. Free, too!

                                                  The only downside is that it is a large download. I've offered to mail Ricki a CD with the
                                                  package on it, gratis, if he or she will but provide me with a mailing address.

                                                  David Derbes
                                                  University of Chicago Laboratory Schools

                                                  On Jan 18, 2010, at 3:04 PM, Ricki Tannen wrote:

                                                  > I have wp academic 2000 and also wp 12 both windows based. The route
                                                  > you suggest will cost many hundred dollars. An operating system fir
                                                  > windows and the fusion. Can't afford it. Thanks for your reply
                                                  >
                                                  > On Jan 18, 2010, at 12:38 PM, "em315" <em315@...> wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > > Exactly which version of WordPerfect are you trying to use? You
                                                  > > mentioned F8, which is the underline key in WordPerfect for DOS, so
                                                  > > I *think* you may mean WordPerfect for DOS, but please let us know
                                                  > > if you mean WordPerfect for Windows or WordPerfect for DOS.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Either way, if you are not technically expert, you are probably
                                                  > > going to have to buy VMware Fusion (or Parallels Desktop, but Fusion
                                                  > > is probably easier to work with) and a copy of Windows XP, and go
                                                  > > through the whole procedure of installing it. This forum is
                                                  > > definitely not the place to ask about that procedure; you should
                                                  > > visit the help forums devoted to VMware Fusion or Parallels; they
                                                  > > are accessible through the web sites of each program itself.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > If you are trying to run WordPefect for DOS 5.1 or 6.something, then
                                                  > > you should also consult this page:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/wpdosmac.html
                                                  > >
                                                  > > The bad news is that there is NO - repeat NO - simple way to install
                                                  > > WordPerfect for DOS or Windows on a Mac. The good news is that once
                                                  > > you have it set up, it will continue to work smoothly.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Ricki Tannen
                                                  > > <rickitannen@...> wrote:
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > Could you be more specific as to how to install this? I have been
                                                  > > a wp user
                                                  > > > for twenty years, since 4.2 and am writing a book using an old
                                                  > > laptop and
                                                  > > > not my Mac because of not being able to use WP.

                                                • Daryl Chinn
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jan 18, 2010
                                                    David,
                                                    Even though I have yet to move past my PowerPC laptop, I thank you for your generosity in providing R. Tannen the opportunity to more easily take care of his need to have an use WP.  While some appear to regard WPM as maintained by a bunch of amateurs, they might be more generous in acknowledging that all software development is incremental and requires dedication.
                                                    My thanks to all of you who keep WP Mac going, and always improving.  Just think, free software development and Customer Service all in one, the responses unfailingly polite and open when there's a better or new way.  I like it a lot better than having to give my credit card number before my first question and then having to call again and again.

                                                    Thank you and others again.
                                                    Daryl