WP-L-Digest 1996/04/16 #010

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2004
      Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 13:57:33 -0400
      From: jcr2 [email address protected]John Rethorst)
      Subject: Re: test-it's been awfully quiet lately.

      At 11:17 AM 4/15/96, Aron S. Spencer wrote:
      > Doesn't anyone have anything to say?

      I just got a ton of mail from the list (OK, 4 or 5), some about a week
      old.
      I hear this is going to happen to the Net in general . . .

      John R.

      ------------------------------
      Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 13:57:37 -0400
      From: jcr2 [email address protected]John Rethorst)
      Subject: Note Editor macros, v. 3 beta

      Anyone want to beta test v. 3 of these macros? Faster, leaner, more
      bulletproof. Supports easy cross-referencing of footnotes and endnotes.

      John R.

      ------------------------------
      Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 14:58:49 -0400
      From: "T. Scott Thurmond" <thurmons [email address
      protected]rochester.edu>
      Subject: Re: Note Editor macros, v. 3 beta

      John Rethorst wrote:

      > Anyone want to beta test v. 3 of these macros? Faster, leaner, more
      > bulletproof. Supports easy cross-referencing of footnotes and
      endnotes.

      > John R.

      John,
      I'd be interested in seeing your beta.
      Scott

      ------------------------------
      Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 21:51:07 +0200
      From: jana [email address protected]Jan Aukes)
      Subject: Re: date/time macro

      >>When I choose a option I get some
      >>Datumcode in my document like
      >>[Hour][Time Sep][Leading Zero
      >>or:
      >>[Month] [Day#], [Year]
      >>I should get some normal text, I suppose.
      >
      >What you should get is a date function - looks like normal text but
      updates
      >when you open or print. Where did you get the macro? (I see some
      modified
      >versions of my work floating around).
      >
      >John

      Hello John,

      I got it from your sending-around mailing, so this mailing list. That
      seems
      to me the most direct source. Maybe something went wrong with the
      conversion? In any case, I changed your asterix's.

      Jan

      ------------------------------
      Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 16:54:16 -0400 (EDT)
      From: Andrea MacDonald <andrea [email address protected]upenn.edu>

      According to John Rethorst:

      > Anyone want to beta test v. 3 of these macros? Faster, leaner, more
      > bulletproof. Supports easy cross-referencing of footnotes and
      endnotes.

      > John R.

      I'm up for it.

      andrea

      Andrea MacDonald

      INTERNET MAIL
      andrea [email address protected]upenn.edu

      ------------------------------
      Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 14:18:29 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Phil Stripling <philip [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      test-it's been awfully quiet lately.

      > Doesn't anyone have anything to say?

      Actually, no news is good news. The Nisus email list is fairly active,
      but the majority of the posts are complaints. Nobody ever posts praise.
      :-)

      Phil Stripling
      The Civilized Explorer
      http://www.crl.com/~philip/home.html

      ------------------------------
      Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 00:49:56 +0300
      From: argialas [email address protected]Dr. Demetre
      Argialas-NTUA:Remote Sensing)
      Subject: WORD VS WORDPERFECT VS NISUS: Which BETTER/FASTER

      Hi,

      I used
      ** Worperfect for DOS before 1991,
      ** then Worperfect 1.0 to 2.2 for MAC back in 1991-2,
      ** then WORD 5.1 and
      ** NOW WORD 6.0 for MAC.

      I am working on scientific papers and notes for my classes with
      equations,
      figures, tables, drawings, crossreferences, indeces, TOC, etc.

      I can assure you that WORD 6 is VERY VERY SLOW in a IIFX with 20 MB RAM
      (given 10MB to WORD) when it comes to 100 page documents (300K). Things
      are
      a little better when I structure small documents, less than 40 pages
      each
      in a MASTER-Document organization.

      I have noticed that MacUser ranked WORDPEFECT 3.5 as NUMBER ONE for two
      succesive years (including this MARCH issue) and the cost of it is $139
      vs
      $295 for WORD 6.01. Something that I can NOT explain, e.g., at half the
      price to get a much better product?? Also WP 3.5 has WEB publishing
      tools
      while WORD 6.0 for MAC soes NOT have them!!

      I have also see the advertising claims of NISUS as being the best of
      WORD
      and WP. But then I read complains in the list with large documents.

      What has been your experience, in case that you do very heavy documents
      with equations, figures, tables, etc.?

      Which one do you have and where you wish to go from now on?

      Is anyone having a powerfull MAC and WORD 6? How fo you feel with very
      large documents with equations, tables, figures, etc.?

      I ma thinking to stay with MAC and perhaps change wordprocessor. But I
      may
      decide to go to PC-WINDOWS and use WORD there.

      Is there a list for WORDPERFECT?

      Is there a direct email-help-desk for WORD for MAC?

      Thanks much.

      Demetre Argialas, Greece
      E - M a i l: argialas [email address protected]T e l.: +30-1-772-2595
      F a x.: +30-1-867-1915

      ------------------------------
      Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 21:27:25 -0500
      From: sfdiop01 [email address protected]edu (Serigne F. Diop)

      >Hi,
      >
      >I used
      >** Worperfect for DOS before 1991,
      >** then Worperfect 1.0 to 2.2 for MAC back in 1991-2,
      >** then WORD 5.1 and
      >** NOW WORD 6.0 for MAC.
      >
      >I am working on scientific papers and notes for my classes with
      equations,
      >figures, tables, drawings, crossreferences, indeces, TOC, etc.
      >
      >I can assure you that WORD 6 is VERY VERY SLOW in a IIFX with 20 MB
      RAM
      >(given 10MB to WORD) when it comes to 100 page documents (300K).
      Things are
      >a little better when I structure small documents, less than 40 pages
      each
      >in a MASTER-Document organization.
      >
      >I have noticed that MacUser ranked WORDPEFECT 3.5 as NUMBER ONE for two
      >succesive years (including this MARCH issue) and the cost of it is
      $139 vs
      >$295 for WORD 6.01. Something that I can NOT explain, e.g., at half the
      >price to get a much better product?? Also WP 3.5 has WEB publishing
      tools
      >while WORD 6.0 for MAC soes NOT have them!!
      >
      >I have also see the advertising claims of NISUS as being the best of
      WORD
      >and WP. But then I read complains in the list with large documents.
      >
      >What has been your experience, in case that you do very heavy documents
      >with equations, figures, tables, etc.?
      >
      >Which one do you have and where you wish to go from now on?
      >
      >Is anyone having a powerfull MAC and WORD 6? How fo you feel with very
      >large documents with equations, tables, figures, etc.?
      >
      >I ma thinking to stay with MAC and perhaps change wordprocessor. But
      I may
      >decide to go to PC-WINDOWS and use WORD there.

      I am using WP 3.5 to edit my thesis. I started editing my thesis on WP
      for
      Unix, it was very stable. But then I needed to work around campus, and
      the
      only wordprocessor available anywhere was Word 6.01. I tried it on
      top-notch Wintel machines but it was not satisfactory for me. My thesis
      had numerous tables, countless equations (matrices, subscripts, ...) and
      more than 30 figures that I drew using WP Draw. Word could not handle
      that. I tried Word on the Mac, but I was put off by how long it took to
      load my files, not talking about converting WP files. It could have
      graduated long time before. I was lucky to stumble upon a copy of WP
      3.1
      at my department. Boy, the same day I ordered a copy for my Mac. Noe
      I am
      the happiest puppy around. My thesis is 127 pages long, with added
      tables,
      equations, figures. WP 3.5 never crashed on my machine. My only
      complaint
      is that figures can be tricky to anchor in a page with a table, but it
      is
      doable.
      I suggest that you try WP 3.5 first before getting a Wintel box
      (ouch!!!!).
      Novell used to have a demo on their ftp site. Check it out.
      Let me know if I can be of more help.

      Salaam/Peace

      Falou

      ------------------------------
      Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 22:25:21 -0400
      From: andrea [email address protected]upenn.edu (Andrea MacDonald)

      >>What has been your experience, in case that you do very heavy
      documents
      >>with equations, figures, tables, etc.?

      Well, I moved from Word 6.01 for the Mac to WordPerfect 3.5 and I'm a
      very
      happy camper. I've used Word extensively for my Master's thesis and
      back in
      the days when I word as a wordprocessor for an environmental firm (=
      lots
      of tables with equations in them). I'm hooked on WordPerfect for the
      following reasons:

      1. Loads faster
      2. More stable, I've had fewer system freezes
      3. Quicker in spell checking and grammar checking. Also the grammar
      checker
      seems to be more helpful.
      4. Easier to customize for my particular work style
      5. Fantastic customer support!

      I've literally called WordPerfect customer support and had someone
      answer
      the phone within the first ring! No 20 minute or longer waits, only to
      be
      told by the technician that it's a system extension conflict... etc.

      I've also found several of John Rethorst's macros very helpful too.

      My one regret is how outlining is handled. I prefer Word's way of
      outlining, but I'm getting use to WordPerfect.

      This is my 2 cents worth.

      andrea

      ------------------------------
      Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 19:34:39 -0700
      From: hart [email address protected]Stephen Hart)

      >Hi,
      >
      >I used
      >** Worperfect for DOS before 1991,
      >** then Worperfect 1.0 to 2.2 for MAC back in 1991-2,
      >** then WORD 5.1 and
      >** NOW WORD 6.0 for MAC.

      >Is anyone having a powerfull MAC and WORD 6? How fo you feel with very
      >large documents with equations, tables, figures, etc.?

      I have used Word from version 4 on, since 1989. Last year I purchased
      Word
      6.0, tried to use it for a while, then took it off. I now am using Word
      5.1
      and WordPerfect 3.5. Word 6.0 *is* slow, and I use a Power Macintosh
      8100/100. In informal tests, I found that the only detectable speed
      difference between 5.1 and 6.0 is that 6.0 is much faster at Word Count.
      Unfortunately, the Windows interface dramatically offsets any
      improvement
      for me.

      I'd switch to WP entirely, but it doesn't have the excellent outlining
      capability of Word 5.1.

      Steve

      Stephen Hart, Writer and Editor
      Science, Medicine and Technology
      266 Heather Park Road, Port Angeles, WA 98362
      360 452-5544 (Voice or Fax) e-mail: hart [email address protected]or
      hart [email address protected]Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 22:51:52 -0400
      From: ROSES2 [email address protected]Subject: Novice to WP

      I just posted (or tried to) several questions on the new Corel page for
      WP
      for Macs. The box for posting is large, but apparently the text limit
      is
      much smaller and I had a hard time listing my questions.
      At any rate, I am new to my Mac and to WordPerfect. Having always
      had an
      Apple, I find most commands on the Mac applications intuitive. Not so
      with
      WP for me, alas. I have trouble just getting used to the cursor
      insertion
      and/or strikeover modes. In fact, I don't know quite how to determine
      one or
      the other. I got no manual with my CD (it is a full working CD version
      of
      3.5, but it was a promo, so no manual, and no registration papers-only
      CompUSA numbers on the container.) The online help does not even
      contain
      words that I would use to check out a problem-such as:
      cursors-insert/strikeover; resizing graphics; highlighting; etc.
      Maybe I am
      just a slow starter.
      More specifically:
      1. Is there a command or macro to delete all the carriage returns in a
      file
      d/l'd from the internet or a service like AOL?
      2. Why am I seeing unusual characters (even in this e-mail, from people
      who
      are more than likely using WP to compose their mail and/or files for
      upload?
      For example, in the first batch of letters I got from this group, I
      saw no
      apostrophes, but something else, which I cannot identify.
      I am sure I will come up with a zillion others, but those are the
      ones
      currently bothering me. I have just started, so I expect a lot more to
      crop
      up along the way!
      Thanks for the patience.
      -Rose

      ------------------------------
      Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 23:00:18 -0400
      From: bononno [email address protected]edu (Robert Bononno)

      >At 11:17 AM 4/15/96, Aron S. Spencer wrote:
      >> Doesn't anyone have anything to say?
      >>
      >I just got a ton of mail from the list (OK, 4 or 5), some about a week
      old.
      >I hear this is going to happen to the Net in general . . .

      Same here. Nothing for days, now all the Mac list mail is in my box.

      >> Robert Bononno +++++ Techline ++++++ bononno [email address
      protected]edu <<

      ------------------------------
      Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 10:19:31 -0400
      From: jcr2 [email address protected]John Rethorst)
      Subject: Re: Novice to WP

      >I have trouble just getting used to the cursor insertion
      >and/or strikeover modes. In fact, I don't know quite how to determine
      one or
      >the other.

      This is strange. Typeover is available only as a keyboard command or
      macro
      command, and should default to Off. Try assigning it a keystroke and
      press
      that to make sure it's off (there's no indicator for Typeover mode, but
      you
      know it right away . . . )

      >resizing graphics;

      Click to select; then drag a handle. Shift-drag to constrain,
      command-drag
      to crop.

      >1. Is there a command or macro to delete all the carriage returns in a
      file
      >d/l'd from the internet or a service like AOL?

      Use my Strip Line Feeds macro, part of "John's WP Tips and Macros" on
      Sumex
      and Umich.

      >2. Why am I seeing unusual characters (even in this e-mail, from
      people who
      >are more than likely using WP to compose their mail and/or files for
      upload?
      > For example, in the first batch of letters I got from this group, I
      saw no
      >apostrophes, but something else, which I cannot identify.

      They used smart quotes/apostrophes in WP, then pasted into a mailer
      which
      doesn't recognize them.

      John

      ------------------------------
      Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 10:32:38 -0500
      From: jonesc [email address protected]christopher jones)

      Rose --

      >1. Is there a command or macro to delete all the carriage returns in a
      file
      >d/l'd from the internet or a service like AOL?

      Probably, but I don't know. I open d/l's with a text editor (Tex-Edit
      Plus,
      specifically), and rarely have a problem. When I do, I just do a global
      search-and-replace, which I'm sure you can do in WP as well. A little
      more
      work than a macro, though.

      If you haven't already, try nosing around WP's website (wherever it
      exists
      now) or in an info-mac mirror in the text/wp directory to see if John
      Rethorst hasn't already written a macro for the job.

      >2. Why am I seeing unusual characters (even in this e-mail, from
      people who
      >are more than likely using WP to compose their mail and/or files for
      upload?
      > For example, in the first batch of letters I got from this group, I
      saw no
      >apostrophes, but something else, which I cannot identify.

      1. Unusual characters (often little boxes) can be (I think) because
      whatever font the sender used doesn't map the character in question (an
      apostrophe in this case) to the same ASCII code that your font does. Try
      highlighting some text on your own machine and switching through a few
      fonts -- sometimes the non-letter characters may switch out on you,
      though
      perhaps not with fonts from the same source, such as Apple.

      2. This (and the carriage-return thing) can result from a file starting
      out
      life as a PC version, and not making the transition to the Mac world
      entirely safely. Don't know how to fix that easily.

      Chris Jones (jonesc [email address protected]It helps to have a
      paranoid delusional system to organize your research."
      -- Paul MacLean

      ------------------------------
      Date: 16 Apr 1996 07:42:50 -0800
      From: "Barry Fass-Holmes" <barry_fass-holmes [email address
      protected]k12.ca.us>

      Reply to: RE>Novice to WP

      I am new to my Mac and to WordPerfect.
      *** Congrats on your acquisition!

      Having always had an Apple, I find most commands on the Mac applications
      intuitive. Not so with WP for me, alas.
      *** WP's menu structure, in general, is consistent with the Mac user
      interface
      (File, Edit, ... Layout, ... Font, Size, Style). Some aspects of the
      menu
      structure are somewhat unique, however. With use, I'm confident that
      you'll
      grow accustomed to it! If you feel more comfortable using keystrokes
      than
      menus, WP has a customizable keyboard layout (or you may use the default
      keyboard layout; whatever you're most comfortable with). TO customize
      the
      keyboard layout, select Edit, Preferences, Keyboard. In the resultant
      dialog
      is a pane containing all of WP's commands/features. When you
      single-click any
      of the commands, the corresponding keystroke is displayed on the
      right-hand
      side of the dialog. There's a text-input box into which you can key an
      alternative keystroke.

      I have trouble just getting used to the cursor insertion and/or
      strikeover
      modes. In fact, I don't know quite how to determine one or
      the other.
      *** In the dialog mentioned above, you can scroll thru the alphabetized
      pane
      of WP's commands/features until you reach "Typeover." Single-click it,
      and
      the keystroke will be displayed (you will not find the Typeover feature
      in any
      of the pull-down menus, to my knowledge). I don't recall the default
      keystroke; I have changed it to the Help key above the cursor arrows on
      my
      keyboard. Then, when you press that keystroke, the horizontal status
      bar at
      the bottom of the screen will display the word "Typeover" (toward the
      right of
      the middle of your screen) to let you know that you're in typeover
      mode. If
      you press the keystroke again, the word "Typeover" is dismissed from the
      status bar.

      I got no manual with my CD (it is a full working CD version of
      3.5, but it was a promo, so no manual, and no registration papers-only
      CompUSA numbers on the container.)
      *** I believe WP Corp. will sell you the printed manual for $25. You
      might
      want to call one of the 800 #s listed in the manual for sales/customer
      service, and they probably can help you out.

      The online help does not even contain words that I would use to check
      out a
      problem-such as: cursors-insert/strikeover; resizing graphics;
      highlighting;
      etc. Maybe I am just a slow starter.
      *** No, it's not you. Almost every Help routine and User's Guide, in my
      experience, has an incomplete (or user-unfriendly) index of keywords.

      More specifically:
      1. Is there a command or macro to delete all the carriage returns in a
      file
      d/l'd from the internet or a service like AOL?
      *** Yes, it is called Text Cleaner. It was included in one of the
      issues of
      WordPerfect for Macintosh News Magazine. This magazine, published
      monthly by
      WP Corp., is available *only* in electronic format on the Internet (you
      won't
      find a printed version of it in bookstores or the like). Before WP's
      acquisition by Corel, there was an ftp site from which you could
      download the
      issues (and a web site with a link that would allow you to view the
      issues
      from within your web browser). Since WP's acquisition, I have been
      unable to
      access that site. However, the issues are available from Stanford
      University's sumex ftp site (go to the Periodicals folder, then to the
      WP
      folder). I can't tell you which issue of WP Mac News contained the Text
      Cleaner macro, unfortunately! Maybe someone else on the email list
      (John
      Rethorst?) knows precisely which issue to get.

      2. Why am I seeing unusual characters (even in this e-mail, from people
      who
      are more than likely using WP to compose their mail and/or files for
      upload?
      For example, in the first batch of letters I got from this group, I
      saw no
      apostrophes, but something else, which I cannot identify.
      *** I believe, but am not 100% certain, that it's related to your email
      program (not 100% MIME compatible) rather than WP.

      I am sure I will come up with a zillion others, but those are the ones
      currently bothering me. I have just started, so I expect a lot more to
      crop
      up along the way!
      *** Hope the above info was helpful! Barry Fass-Holmes

      Thanks for the patience.
      *** Hang in there; your patience in learning WP will pay off!

      -Rose