Re: [wpmac] Microsoft Word Sales Face U.S. Ban -- Information Week

  • Bob Stern
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 22, 2009
      Not that I have any sympathy whatsoever for Micro$oft, but it's
      interesting to note that the U.S. District Court for Eastern Texas is
      notorious for finding in favor of the patent holder in almost every
      case. Consequently, patent holders usually try to find justification
      to file suit in that district. The residents of the small towns in
      that judicial district appear to enjoy receiving lots of patent
      litigation, perhaps because the money lawyers spend on hotels and
      restaurants.

      "plaintiffs win patent cases nearly 80% of the time in the Eastern
      District of Texas, compared to just 59% in other venues. Patent cases
      in small east Texas towns such as Marshall and Tyler are heard
      faster, and more often, than in virtually any other venue in the
      nation. Patent plaintiffs and their lawyers looking for big victories
      without big trial expenses flock to the district and, in effect, roll
      the dice. Thus, in the 1990s, there were about a dozen patent cases
      heard by the court in Marshall; by 2007, close to 250."
      http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1202435438325

      A similar opinion:
      http://blog.pff.org/archives/2009/08/print/005636.html
      --

      Bob Stern
    • Joe Edgell
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 22, 2009
        But the Appellate court affirmed the district court, so the district judge must have been correct. But the appellate court went easy on MS. They had the injunction not take effect until after the holiday shopping season.

        Joe