Microsoft Word Sales Face U.S. Ban -- Information Week

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 22, 2009
      Such a Christmas present! (if only tentatively). See:

      http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/microsoft_news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=222003019

      Anyway, happy holidays everyone!

      John R.
    • Bob Stern
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 22, 2009
        Not that I have any sympathy whatsoever for Micro$oft, but it's
        interesting to note that the U.S. District Court for Eastern Texas is
        notorious for finding in favor of the patent holder in almost every
        case. Consequently, patent holders usually try to find justification
        to file suit in that district. The residents of the small towns in
        that judicial district appear to enjoy receiving lots of patent
        litigation, perhaps because the money lawyers spend on hotels and
        restaurants.

        "plaintiffs win patent cases nearly 80% of the time in the Eastern
        District of Texas, compared to just 59% in other venues. Patent cases
        in small east Texas towns such as Marshall and Tyler are heard
        faster, and more often, than in virtually any other venue in the
        nation. Patent plaintiffs and their lawyers looking for big victories
        without big trial expenses flock to the district and, in effect, roll
        the dice. Thus, in the 1990s, there were about a dozen patent cases
        heard by the court in Marshall; by 2007, close to 250."
        http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1202435438325

        A similar opinion:
        http://blog.pff.org/archives/2009/08/print/005636.html
        --

        Bob Stern
      • Joe Edgell
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 22, 2009
          But the Appellate court affirmed the district court, so the district judge must have been correct. But the appellate court went easy on MS. They had the injunction not take effect until after the holiday shopping season.

          Joe