Re: [wpmac] Re: Free Word?

  • John Kaufmann
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4, 2009
      In a message dated 2009.12.03 14:47 -0500, J Busch wrote:

      > ... I found virtual box to be a better solution [than Crossover], using an old XP license from a laptop that died years ago.

      Jonathan, sorry to ask a primitive question. but how does that work?
      You have an install CD from the earlier machine, and it works generically?

      John K.
    • J Busch
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 5, 2009
        No problem, my computer came with a Windows Install disk with product key. I installed XP via this CD. Note, I had to install SP3 since my copy was so outdated. Also, the computers today usually only come with an XP restore disc or partition, these won't work.
        You could use VMwares converter to create a disk image copy directly from you PC computer that is readable by virtualbox. This has been hit or miss as any issue you have on the PC will follow to virtualbox and driver issues may keep it from booting. The final option is to pickup an XP install disc off of Ebay.
        Cheers,
        Jonathan

        Sent from my iPhone