Crossover (was Re: Free Word?)

  • Kevin Jaques, B.A., LL.B.
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2009
      Well, you've found one guy that likes it, even though I don't fully
      disagree. I use Crossover as a very light solution. I find it a lot
      faster to fire up Crossover than Parallels, and a lot lighter load on
      my machine. And there is none of that constant hassle from Windows
      things trying to upgrade themselves or occasional hassle of Parallels
      grabbing control of peripherals. I have a standard escalation if
      Safari doesn't work:

      a. Safari emulating Explorer
      b. Firefox
      c. Explorer on Crossover
      d. Explorer on Parallels
      e. Explorer via Boot Camp or physical PC.

      But no, Crossover doesn't always work.

      One thing I like is that you can just open up .exe files with
      Crossover. You don't have to install them to anything. I also use it
      frequently for winrar, the ubiquitous windows compression/
      decompression utility. The result is pretty much as though winrar was
      running natively on my Mac. I use the Mac drives, copy and paste, the
      dock, whatever. Similarly, I just run the Spider.exe program on
      Crossover Games without installing it to anything. I copied the .exe
      file from my Boot Camp partition to my Mac Games folder, and just run
      it from there.

      --
      Kevin Jaques, B.A., LL.B., Jaques Law Office
      2912 Rae Street, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, S4S 1R5

    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2009
        On Dec 3, 2009, at 8:06 AM, Kevin Jaques, B.A., LL.B. wrote:

        > I also use it
        > frequently for winrar, the ubiquitous windows compression/
        > decompression utility. The result is pretty much as though winrar was
        > running natively on my Mac.

        Stuffit Expander (free)
        http://my.smithmicro.com/mac/stuffit/index.html
        Does a nice job of un-raring archives, and it is OS X-native.

        Or there is UnrarX (free)
        http://www.unrarx.com/

        Though neither will create rar archives.

        Randy B. Singer

        Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html