SheepShaver with WPMac - no installation required

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2009
      Recently some members of this group have reported that they were unable to get SheepShaver installed and therefore can't use WordPerfect. In an attempt to help, I've put together a small, unambitious package based on a new SheepShaver feature that creates self-contained "virtual" machines:

      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPMacPPC%20Installer.dmg

      This system isn't remotely as up-to-date, elegant, and full-featured as John Rethorst's SheepShaver-WordPerfect package, but it may perhaps get the job done. It's based on System 7.5.5, the last freely downloadable version of the Mac OS, so it's all fairly primitive.

      Instructions: download the DMG file at the link above. Mount the DMG file by double-clicking it. You will see a ZIP file on the DMG image; double-click it to extract the actual WPMacPPC Appliance application to your Downloads folder. Drag the application anywhere else you like, perhaps to your Applications folder or Desktop.

      The first time you run the WPMacPPC Appliance, it will offer to install a printing system that will let you print from WPMac to the current OS X printer (or create PDF files). This printing system consists of an OS X "folder action script" that automatically prints (or converts to PDF) any PostScript files that are dropped into it. You'll find a Read Me First file on the DMG image that explains how to "print" a PostScript file from WPMac.

      If you don't want to install the printing system, just say No to the prompt.

      When you start the WPMacPPC Appliance, it automatically sets the "Unix" folder on the System 7.5.5 desktop to be your home folder - the folder that typically has your user name. Use this folder to transfer documents in and out of the System 7.5.5 system.

      This system should run under Leopard or Snow Leopard. It will NOT run under Tiger, though expert users will be able to figure out how to take it apart and use its component parts under Tiger.

      This comes with no technical support at all. If it doesn't work, delete it. But I hope it works and comes in useful.
    • Chad Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2009
        Awesome! I've never had such an easy time installing SheepShaver!

        And I got it to print to ps which converted to PDF. Awesome! You rock!

        - Chad W Smith
        "I like a man who's middle name is W." - President George W. Bush - February
        10, 2003 bit.ly/gwb-dubya

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2009
          Delighted to hear it - but if you'll download it again tomorrow morning (December 4th), you'll find that the printing system is improved - the Read Me First file will include instructions for setting the default destination folder for printing from WPMac, so you don't have to navigate to the correct folder each time you print. Apologies for posting this prematurely, but the right version should be up there within a few hours. Same link as before: