Re: [wpmac] Re: Free Word?

  • Randy B. Singer
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2009
      On Dec 2, 2009, at 6:23 AM, tbgibson wrote:

      > Does anyone use Crossover? What do you think?

      I tried it, and was surprised and pleased that it worked at all, but
      that quickly turned into disappointment when I found that not a
      single application that I tried was 100% functional.

      The main reason that I tried Crossover was that I needed to access a
      Web site that required Internet Explorer to interact with. IE is one
      of the very few applications rated as being fully functional in
      Crossover. However, while Crossover allowed me to access the Web
      site in question (where no Macintosh browser had), it still didn't
      allow me to interact with the site in a fully functional way. IE
      running under Windows/Parallels worked perfectly.

      I haven't tried WordPerfect/Win under Crossover. It is another one
      of those few programs that are supposed to be fully functional under
      Crossover. Since there is a free downloadable demo of WP/Win, and a
      free demo of Crossover, you could try the two out together at no
      cost. I'd advise a thorough test of the combination before deciding
      to purchase anything. For instance, be sure that you can print.

      Crossover comes up all the time on other Mac discussion lists that I
      am on. I can't recall anyone who has tried Crossover who has found
      it to be what they were hoping for.

      You might want to check out Sun's VirtualBox, which is free, as an
      alternative:
      http://www.virtualbox.org/
      However, VirtualBox still requires that you purchase a copy of Windows.

      Randy B. Singer

      Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
    • J Busch
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 3, 2009
        I have been unable to install the latest version of WP with Crossover v8, something to do with the installer. v12 WP installs with limited sucess, but printing is problematic. I found virtual box to be a better solution, using an old XP license from a laptop that died years ago.

        Jonathan
        Sent from my iPhone

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson@...> wrote:

        > Since we are trying to discuss both WordPerfect on the Mac and current
        Corel strategy, has anyone tried to install the latest WordPerfect for
        Windows using Crossover?

      • John Kaufmann
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 4, 2009
          In a message dated 2009.12.03 14:47 -0500, J Busch wrote:

          > ... I found virtual box to be a better solution [than Crossover], using an old XP license from a laptop that died years ago.

          Jonathan, sorry to ask a primitive question. but how does that work?
          You have an install CD from the earlier machine, and it works generically?

          John K.
        • J Busch
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 5, 2009
            No problem, my computer came with a Windows Install disk with product key. I installed XP via this CD. Note, I had to install SP3 since my copy was so outdated. Also, the computers today usually only come with an XP restore disc or partition, these won't work.
            You could use VMwares converter to create a disk image copy directly from you PC computer that is readable by virtualbox. This has been hit or miss as any issue you have on the PC will follow to virtualbox and driver issues may keep it from booting. The final option is to pickup an XP install disc off of Ebay.
            Cheers,
            Jonathan

            Sent from my iPhone