Re: [wpmac] Corel Bought Out

  • Rick Albright
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 1, 2009
      Ah, memories. "Back in the day," as my students always like to write
      in their papers, I remember when Lotus 1-2-3 was *the* spreadsheet
      program. I first ran it on an IBM 3270-PC, and that was even pre-hard
      drive. Two 5.25 inch floppy drives. I think the Lotus disk was
      bootable with DOS 1.1 (later 2.0) on one drive, and the data disk was
      in the other. Or maybe one disk was DOS, one was the Lotus program
      disk and you popped it out and inserted the data disk (occasionally
      having to reinsert the program disk). Long before Excel.

      We (the federal gummint) also ran WordPerfect--after we got rid of
      our IBM 5520 word processors with the big (I think they were 7")
      floppy drives. Only secretaries did word processing then, but we
      eventually got WordPerfect (yes, I'm mindful that this is a WP list)--
      I think it was 4-point-something. I well remember 5.1 with all the PF
      keys, then the various Windows versions, and by then I had a Mac
      laptop with a docking station and WP Mac 2.1 on the road, and Windows
      in the office.

      My office was very slow to give up WordPerfect and move to Word
      because so many of our program specifications and other documentation
      relied heavily on tables, and the tables in WordPerfect were superior
      to Word's.

      I remember MS-Works on my first Mac, too. Not only was it a ripoff of
      Appleworks, but I even had the "Works to Works Transporter" that
      converted AppleWorks files to MS-Works. (And before that there was
      Microsoft Multi-plan for the Commodore 64, not a direct MS product,
      but licensed to one of the C64 game companies. The coolest thing
      about Multiplan was being able to reference cells on another
      spreadsheet file and watch that Commodore diskette drive churn to go
      get the data off the disk.)

      Okay, enough of memory lane for me. Back to WordPerfect.

      Rick Albright

      On Dec 1, 2009, at 12:46 PM, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

      > back in the day when WordPerfect was popular I used Lotus 1-2-3 not
      > excel. Then I used MS-works for Mac which was a direct ripoff port of
      > AppleWorks for Apple II. But apple didn't port fast enough instead
      > they
      > came out with MacWrite Pro. I used WordPerfect/Lotus 1-2-3, Then
      > Ms-Works, then I bought Word and Excel because I wasn't interested the
      > rest off the office program. I finally relented, bought Office 2001, I
      > still don't use PowerPoint to this date.
      >
      > Tom Wyrick wrote:
      >>

      >> In my opinion, the relative "friendliness" of MS Word is what really
      >> made it take off and kill off WordPerfect, over time. By the same
      >> token,
      >> it's *also* what motivates some people to swear by WordPerfect to
      >> this
      >> day. For example, I remember doing on-site computer service for a
      >> couple
      >> of law firms that absolutely HAD to have WordPerfect, because the
      >> legal
      >> assistants all relied on complex macros designed by former
      >> employees of
      >> the firms. Many of their often typed form-letters, they could
      >> generate
      >> with practically a single Function key combo - including such
      >> things as
      >> printing the address on the envelope automatically, as long as it was
      >> loaded in the printer behind the piece of paper for the letter
      >> itself,
      >> all in one shot.
      >>
      >> Theoretically, the same or similar functionality could probably be
      >> crafted into a Word template and macros ... but who wants to change
      >> products (spending money on another software license in the process),
      >> and THEN have to manually re-code and test all of that?
      >>
      >> But those users amount to a "niche" compared to all the students,
      >> year
      >> after year, who learn how to use a word processor for the first time
      >> (and almost always learn MS Word), plus all the business users who
      >> don't
      >> do enough "fancy stuff" to really care which word processor they
      >> use, as
      >> long as it lets them type and print. And again, they usually wind up
      >> with MS Word because it's offered, pre-loaded, as an option on so
      >> many
      >> new PCs.
      >>
      >> You have to remember too, people are typically buying an "office
      >> suite",
      >> not just a word processor. Office looks even more attractive when
      >> that's
      >> the case, because MS Excel is the de-facto best choice of a
      >> spreadsheet
      >> package on the market for Windows. Corel did try to sell "Wordperfect
      >> Office", but with no Excel spreadsheet - they just weren't enough
      >> of a
      >> contender.
      >>
      >> On Nov 30, 2009, at 12:29 PM, John W wrote:

> [...]

      “No dark sarcasm in the classroom”
      --Roger Waters, “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2”
      from Pink Floyd, The Wall
      Rick Albright
      logres@...