Re: [wpmac] Corel Bought Out

  • Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 1, 2009
      back in the day when WordPerfect was popular I used Lotus 1-2-3 not
      excel. Then I used MS-works for Mac which was a direct ripoff port of
      AppleWorks for Apple II. But apple didn't port fast enough instead they
      came out with MacWrite Pro. I used WordPerfect/Lotus 1-2-3, Then
      Ms-Works, then I bought Word and Excel because I wasn't interested the
      rest off the office program. I finally relented, bought Office 2001, I
      still don't use PowerPoint to this date.

      Tom Wyrick wrote:

> [...]
      > of law firms that absolutely HAD to have WordPerfect, because the legal
      > assistants all relied on complex macros designed by former employees of
      > the firms. Many of their often typed form-letters, they could generate
      > with practically a single Function key combo - including such things as
      > printing the address on the envelope automatically, as long as it was
      > loaded in the printer behind the piece of paper for the letter itself,
      > all in one shot.
      >
      > Theoretically, the same or similar functionality could probably be
      > crafted into a Word template and macros ... but who wants to change
      > products (spending money on another software license in the process),
      > and THEN have to manually re-code and test all of that?
      >
      > But those users amount to a "niche" compared to all the students, year
      > after year, who learn how to use a word processor for the first time
      > (and almost always learn MS Word), plus all the business users who don't
      > do enough "fancy stuff" to really care which word processor they use, as
      > long as it lets them type and print. And again, they usually wind up
      > with MS Word because it's offered, pre-loaded, as an option on so many
      > new PCs.
      >
      > You have to remember too, people are typically buying an "office suite",
      > not just a word processor. Office looks even more attractive when that's
      > the case, because MS Excel is the de-facto best choice of a spreadsheet
      > package on the market for Windows. Corel did try to sell "Wordperfect
      > Office", but with no Excel spreadsheet - they just weren't enough of a
      > contender.
      >
      > On Nov 30, 2009, at 12:29 PM, John W wrote:
      >
      > > People tend to forget or ignore just how different Word and
      > WordPerfect were, way back then. WordPerfect had the market share, but
      > there wasn't any real competition until Word came along.
      > >
      > > Does anyone else remember how obscure the WordPerfect keyboard
      > commands were? I don't remember the WP keystrokes to save a document or
      > to exit WP - I think it was some combination involving the F-keys. (WP
      > never bothered with mnemonics.) And I think for many commands you had to
      > use those keystrokes. Understand that this was really early in the
      > graphical interface days; most secretaries and typists really weren't
      > comfortable using a mouse.
      > >
      > > I remember having to shut off and restart the computer because I
      > couldn't figure out how to exit WordPerfect.
      > >
      > > Word was like a blast of fresh air. (I know it's painful to hear
      > this, but you had to be there.)
      > > The menu structure seemed logical and the keyboard shortcuts made
      > sense. It shortened my learning curve dramatically, and I never did
      > learn how to use the early version of WP.
      > >
      > > I'm not trying to sanitize history, but Microsoft's challenge to
      > compare the two was evil genius at its best. Word was a better product
      > by far, and WordPerfect didn't do anythiing about that until it was too

      Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
      616 Liberty Street Martinsville, Va 24112-1809
      Phone: 276-632-5045 Cell: 276-732-7781 Fax: 276-632-0868
      http://www.phillipmjones.net http://www.vpea.org
      mailto:pjones1@...
    • Rick Albright
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 1, 2009
        Ah, memories. "Back in the day," as my students always like to write
        in their papers, I remember when Lotus 1-2-3 was *the* spreadsheet
        program. I first ran it on an IBM 3270-PC, and that was even pre-hard
        drive. Two 5.25 inch floppy drives. I think the Lotus disk was
        bootable with DOS 1.1 (later 2.0) on one drive, and the data disk was
        in the other. Or maybe one disk was DOS, one was the Lotus program
        disk and you popped it out and inserted the data disk (occasionally
        having to reinsert the program disk). Long before Excel.

        We (the federal gummint) also ran WordPerfect--after we got rid of
        our IBM 5520 word processors with the big (I think they were 7")
        floppy drives. Only secretaries did word processing then, but we
        eventually got WordPerfect (yes, I'm mindful that this is a WP list)--
        I think it was 4-point-something. I well remember 5.1 with all the PF
        keys, then the various Windows versions, and by then I had a Mac
        laptop with a docking station and WP Mac 2.1 on the road, and Windows
        in the office.

        My office was very slow to give up WordPerfect and move to Word
        because so many of our program specifications and other documentation
        relied heavily on tables, and the tables in WordPerfect were superior
        to Word's.

        I remember MS-Works on my first Mac, too. Not only was it a ripoff of
        Appleworks, but I even had the "Works to Works Transporter" that
        converted AppleWorks files to MS-Works. (And before that there was
        Microsoft Multi-plan for the Commodore 64, not a direct MS product,
        but licensed to one of the C64 game companies. The coolest thing
        about Multiplan was being able to reference cells on another
        spreadsheet file and watch that Commodore diskette drive churn to go
        get the data off the disk.)

        Okay, enough of memory lane for me. Back to WordPerfect.

        Rick Albright

        On Dec 1, 2009, at 12:46 PM, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

> [...]
        >> couldn't figure out how to exit WordPerfect.
        >>>
        >>> Word was like a blast of fresh air. (I know it's painful to hear
        >> this, but you had to be there.)
        >>> The menu structure seemed logical and the keyboard shortcuts made
        >> sense. It shortened my learning curve dramatically, and I never did
        >> learn how to use the early version of WP.
        >>>
        >>> I'm not trying to sanitize history, but Microsoft's challenge to
        >> compare the two was evil genius at its best. Word was a better
        >> product
        >> by far, and WordPerfect didn't do anythiing about that until it
        >> was too
        >> late, so they brought the lawyers in.
        >>> __._

        > --
        > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
        > 616 Liberty Street Martinsville, Va 24112-1809
        > Phone: 276-632-5045 Cell: 276-732-7781 Fax: 276-632-0868

        “No dark sarcasm in the classroom”
        --Roger Waters, “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2”
        from Pink Floyd, The Wall
        Rick Albright
        logres@...