Re: [wpmac] Free Word?

  • Tom Wyrick
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2009
      Well, that's no more "giving Word away" than they "gave WordPerfect away" when a number of Toshiba laptops came with copies of WordPerfect Office pre-loaded on them.

      The "distribution with a new machine only" label on a Microsoft CD or DVD simply means it's an "OEM" version of the software.  Microsoft made agreements with system builders to sell them their software at far lower than retail pricing, so they could inexpensively include it with the new machines they were selling people.  These "OEM" versions of the products carried certain usage restrictions though, including Microsoft limiting them to only being legal for use with the specific computer they came bundled with.

      I'm not denying that this tactic didn't really help Microsoft boost their market-share for some of their products ... but you paid *something* for the software.  The cost was just hidden in the price of the Compaq computer.  Microsoft was one of the early adopters of this practice, which was soon copied by many of the "major players".  I remember purchasing several PCs that included IBM's "SmartSuite" of software (AMI Pro word processor and such) under the same arrangement.

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2009
        walther2232 <gnhone@...>
        Date: December 1, 2009 3:17:03 AM PST
        To: wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com

        Yes, Microsoft did "give" Word away.
        Specifically, to anyone who bought certain models of Compaq machines, and less than a decade ago. My copy is Word 2002 and the CD states "for distribution with a new machine only".
        Never did install it. I use Word 2000 which came under a University licence, and then because the University rules were MS only (the word 'only' should be in Caps, but I don't like shouting.
        BTW, I did find that WP6 for Windows will run on my wife's machine under XP Professional (so I can still have Reveal Codes under windows)
        Geoff

        Reply:

        The cost of MS Word was built into the price of the OEM computers so they weren't Free.

        Trying to get ahead of a DOJ suit, instead of preloading has they had been for years, Microsoft made the disks available but they could only be installed on that specific model & make of computer. It used to really anger me that when buying a new computer from a major OEM, office was already installed & the cost built in. For years, I couldn't get the OEMs to remove MS Office before shipping, even though I requested it, and recognized I was stuck paying for it as part of the computers price. Microsoft would threaten to cut off any OEM who wouldn't preload office.

        To reduce costs, OEM did not load the software including Windows & MS Office on each individual machine, they would use a program like Ghost, which made an imagine of one machine, and copy that image, and include a recovery disk, not full copies of the software. So if you had a problem, the disk would restore the machine to the original factory condition, wiping out all changes made, including date, updates, other software added on. . . . It helped lower the cost of each computer sold.

        They also used to make MS Works available for a no charge option, and earlier iterations had Word. They changed it later because many people didn't bother buying the overpriced bloatware known as MS Office, (pick your year) nor just buying Word when later versions were released.

        I'm running Microsoft XP in VMfusion on my Mac, and just finished typing up a witness list in Wordperfect X3, with no problem, and with reveal code, the best feature of WP for those of us with simple word processing skills.

        Reading some of the comments over the last few days with people trashing WP and talking up Word, made me wonder, why are they on this forum at all?

        WP has, for people in Law & Medical offices, been the premiere word processor. When you collaborate with multiple people from multiple offices, formatting is such an issue. Reveal codes saves me countless hours. As an indigent defense provider, there is never any time to waste & sharing work others have done so we don't have to reinvent the wheel on motions & memorandums, is the glue that holds us together.

        Chuck
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2009
          Hey, remember when this was a WordPerfect discussion group?
          Geoff

          Geoff Gilbert
          Professor of Law
          School of Law and Human Rights Centre
          University of Essex
          Wivenhoe Park
          Colchester
          CO4 3SQ

          Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
          Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
          Email: geoff (for those outside the University, add @ followed by essex.ac.uk)

          On 01/12/2009 18:56, em315 wrote:
          > Well, actually Compaq gave it away, having bought a license from Microsoft. Microsoft got paid for it. Of course, anyone who bought the Compaq machine also paid for it, but the cost was hidden in the price of the machine.
          >
          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "walther2232"<gnhone@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Yes, Microsoft did "give" Word away.
          >> Specifically, to anyone who bought certain models of Compaq machines, and less than a decade ago. My copy is Word 2002 and the CD states "for distribution with a new machine only".
          >> Never did install it. I use Word 2000 which came under a University licence, and then because the University rules were MS only (the word 'only' should be in Caps, but I don't like shouting.
          >> BTW, I did find that WP6 for Windows will run on my wife's machine under XP Professional (so I can still have Reveal Codes under windows)
          >> Geoff

          > .

        • geoffrey mendelson
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2009
            On Dec 1, 2009, at 9:06 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

            > Hey, remember when this was a WordPerfect discussion group?

            Keeping it on topic, WordPerfect had some predatory pricing too. They
            at various times offered "competitive" upgrades, which meant if you
            had a competing product, you could buy a complete copy (with
            upgradable license) for $25. You did not even have to hand in your
            competing product to do it.

            The other one they did is to extend commercial licenses to home users.
            If you had a regular licensed product at work (or your place of
            business), you could legally "take home" a copy and use it there.

            Microsoft adopted both polices to keep up. AFAIK they have since
            dropped both, but the "Student and Home Edition" of Office includes
            the right to install it on three systems in your home.

            Since we are trying to discuss both WordPerfect on the Mac and current
            Corel strategy, has anyone tried to install the latest WordPerfect for
            Windows using Crossover?

            Geoff.

            Though on this list I should probably sign it:

            Geoff (no relation to any other Geoff or Mendelson on the list.)

            :-)

            --
            geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
            Jerusalem Israel geoffreymendelson@...
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 2009
              Does anyone use Crossover? What do you think?

              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson@...> wrote:

              > Since we are trying to discuss both WordPerfect on the Mac and current
              Corel strategy, has anyone tried to install the latest WordPerfect for
              Windows using Crossover?
            • Randy B. Singer
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 2, 2009
                On Dec 2, 2009, at 6:23 AM, tbgibson wrote:

                > Does anyone use Crossover? What do you think?

                I tried it, and was surprised and pleased that it worked at all, but
                that quickly turned into disappointment when I found that not a
                single application that I tried was 100% functional.

                The main reason that I tried Crossover was that I needed to access a
                Web site that required Internet Explorer to interact with. IE is one
                of the very few applications rated as being fully functional in
                Crossover. However, while Crossover allowed me to access the Web
                site in question (where no Macintosh browser had), it still didn't
                allow me to interact with the site in a fully functional way. IE
                running under Windows/Parallels worked perfectly.

                I haven't tried WordPerfect/Win under Crossover. It is another one
                of those few programs that are supposed to be fully functional under
                Crossover. Since there is a free downloadable demo of WP/Win, and a
                free demo of Crossover, you could try the two out together at no
                cost. I'd advise a thorough test of the combination before deciding
                to purchase anything. For instance, be sure that you can print.

                Crossover comes up all the time on other Mac discussion lists that I
                am on. I can't recall anyone who has tried Crossover who has found
                it to be what they were hoping for.

                You might want to check out Sun's VirtualBox, which is free, as an
                alternative:
                http://www.virtualbox.org/
                However, VirtualBox still requires that you purchase a copy of Windows.

                Randy B. Singer

                Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
                http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
              • J Busch
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 3, 2009
                  I have been unable to install the latest version of WP with Crossover v8, something to do with the installer. v12 WP installs with limited sucess, but printing is problematic. I found virtual box to be a better solution, using an old XP license from a laptop that died years ago.

                  Jonathan
                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Dec 2, 2009, at 15:23, "tbgibson" <tbgibson@...> wrote:

                  Does anyone use Crossover? What do you think?

                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson@...> wrote:

                  > Since we are trying to discuss both WordPerfect on the Mac and current
                  Corel strategy, has anyone tried to install the latest WordPerfect for
                  Windows using Crossover?

                • John Kaufmann
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 4, 2009
                    In a message dated 2009.12.03 14:47 -0500, J Busch wrote:

                    > ... I found virtual box to be a better solution [than Crossover], using an old XP license from a laptop that died years ago.

                    Jonathan, sorry to ask a primitive question. but how does that work?
                    You have an install CD from the earlier machine, and it works generically?

                    John K.
                  • J Busch
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 5, 2009
                      No problem, my computer came with a Windows Install disk with product key. I installed XP via this CD. Note, I had to install SP3 since my copy was so outdated. Also, the computers today usually only come with an XP restore disc or partition, these won't work.
                      You could use VMwares converter to create a disk image copy directly from you PC computer that is readable by virtualbox. This has been hit or miss as any issue you have on the PC will follow to virtualbox and driver issues may keep it from booting. The final option is to pickup an XP install disc off of Ebay.
                      Cheers,
                      Jonathan

                      Sent from my iPhone