Re: [wpmac] Corel Bought Out

  • Daryl Chinn
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 30, 2009
      Probably the California State University system of 19 campuses (there are more now) paid a site license fee.  I say probably, because she doesn't really know, but it seems a reasonable conclusion.  We got the disks, not just a download, and yes, she too had to sign her life away and future grandchildren, etc., etc.  But the point is, the end-users didn't feel anything except a pin-prick of cost, and does anyone or anything complain (or stop you) from Gatesville or anywhere else if you compose a Christmas letter instead of doing work-related stuff?.  I've discovered you can load it onto more than one machine;  however, in this wireless or connected age, MS will tell you that you can't RUN the same program with the same serial number concurrently on more than one connected machine in a network.
      Everyone does it, really (not to excuse or encourage, and I don't mind);  my refurbished Mac came with iLife disks and some printing programs thrown in, even though I didn't expect it or see it on the invoice. To my surprise, I also had a pre-installed then-current version of (Intuit) Quickbooks when I turned on the machine—and it didn't expire.  The marketing and licensing world is pretty labyrinthine.

      Daryl Ngee ChinnPoet and Teaching Artist
      --- On Mon, 11/30/09, Gregory Sigman <sigman@...> wrote:
      Are you sure the University hadn't paid for a site license? I purchased Office 2008 for $20 through my employer, but that was only because they had already paid for the license. I just had to pay a media & duplication fee. And sign a document swearing on the grave of my grandmother to never ever make a copy of the media or even use it for non-work-related activities.

      Gregory Sigman

      sigman@ohio. edu

      Senior Library Associate

      Ohio University Music/Dance Library

    • Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 1, 2009
        back in the day when WordPerfect was popular I used Lotus 1-2-3 not
        excel. Then I used MS-works for Mac which was a direct ripoff port of
        AppleWorks for Apple II. But apple didn't port fast enough instead they
        came out with MacWrite Pro. I used WordPerfect/Lotus 1-2-3, Then
        Ms-Works, then I bought Word and Excel because I wasn't interested the
        rest off the office program. I finally relented, bought Office 2001, I
        still don't use PowerPoint to this date.

        Tom Wyrick wrote:

> [...]
        > of law firms that absolutely HAD to have WordPerfect, because the legal
        > assistants all relied on complex macros designed by former employees of
        > the firms. Many of their often typed form-letters, they could generate
        > with practically a single Function key combo - including such things as
        > printing the address on the envelope automatically, as long as it was
        > loaded in the printer behind the piece of paper for the letter itself,
        > all in one shot.
        >
        > Theoretically, the same or similar functionality could probably be
        > crafted into a Word template and macros ... but who wants to change
        > products (spending money on another software license in the process),
        > and THEN have to manually re-code and test all of that?
        >
        > But those users amount to a "niche" compared to all the students, year
        > after year, who learn how to use a word processor for the first time
        > (and almost always learn MS Word), plus all the business users who don't
        > do enough "fancy stuff" to really care which word processor they use, as
        > long as it lets them type and print. And again, they usually wind up
        > with MS Word because it's offered, pre-loaded, as an option on so many
        > new PCs.
        >
        > You have to remember too, people are typically buying an "office suite",
        > not just a word processor. Office looks even more attractive when that's
        > the case, because MS Excel is the de-facto best choice of a spreadsheet
        > package on the market for Windows. Corel did try to sell "Wordperfect
        > Office", but with no Excel spreadsheet - they just weren't enough of a
        > contender.
        >
        > On Nov 30, 2009, at 12:29 PM, John W wrote:
        >
        > > People tend to forget or ignore just how different Word and
        > WordPerfect were, way back then. WordPerfect had the market share, but
        > there wasn't any real competition until Word came along.
        > >
        > > Does anyone else remember how obscure the WordPerfect keyboard
        > commands were? I don't remember the WP keystrokes to save a document or
        > to exit WP - I think it was some combination involving the F-keys. (WP
        > never bothered with mnemonics.) And I think for many commands you had to
        > use those keystrokes. Understand that this was really early in the
        > graphical interface days; most secretaries and typists really weren't
        > comfortable using a mouse.
        > >
        > > I remember having to shut off and restart the computer because I
        > couldn't figure out how to exit WordPerfect.
        > >
        > > Word was like a blast of fresh air. (I know it's painful to hear
        > this, but you had to be there.)
        > > The menu structure seemed logical and the keyboard shortcuts made
        > sense. It shortened my learning curve dramatically, and I never did
        > learn how to use the early version of WP.
        > >
        > > I'm not trying to sanitize history, but Microsoft's challenge to
        > compare the two was evil genius at its best. Word was a better product
        > by far, and WordPerfect didn't do anythiing about that until it was too

        Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
        616 Liberty Street Martinsville, Va 24112-1809
        Phone: 276-632-5045 Cell: 276-732-7781 Fax: 276-632-0868
        http://www.phillipmjones.net http://www.vpea.org
        mailto:pjones1@...
      • Rick Albright
        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 1, 2009
          Ah, memories. "Back in the day," as my students always like to write
          in their papers, I remember when Lotus 1-2-3 was *the* spreadsheet
          program. I first ran it on an IBM 3270-PC, and that was even pre-hard
          drive. Two 5.25 inch floppy drives. I think the Lotus disk was
          bootable with DOS 1.1 (later 2.0) on one drive, and the data disk was
          in the other. Or maybe one disk was DOS, one was the Lotus program
          disk and you popped it out and inserted the data disk (occasionally
          having to reinsert the program disk). Long before Excel.

          We (the federal gummint) also ran WordPerfect--after we got rid of
          our IBM 5520 word processors with the big (I think they were 7")
          floppy drives. Only secretaries did word processing then, but we
          eventually got WordPerfect (yes, I'm mindful that this is a WP list)--
          I think it was 4-point-something. I well remember 5.1 with all the PF
          keys, then the various Windows versions, and by then I had a Mac
          laptop with a docking station and WP Mac 2.1 on the road, and Windows
          in the office.

          My office was very slow to give up WordPerfect and move to Word
          because so many of our program specifications and other documentation
          relied heavily on tables, and the tables in WordPerfect were superior
          to Word's.

          I remember MS-Works on my first Mac, too. Not only was it a ripoff of
          Appleworks, but I even had the "Works to Works Transporter" that
          converted AppleWorks files to MS-Works. (And before that there was
          Microsoft Multi-plan for the Commodore 64, not a direct MS product,
          but licensed to one of the C64 game companies. The coolest thing
          about Multiplan was being able to reference cells on another
          spreadsheet file and watch that Commodore diskette drive churn to go
          get the data off the disk.)

          Okay, enough of memory lane for me. Back to WordPerfect.

          Rick Albright

          On Dec 1, 2009, at 12:46 PM, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

> [...]
          >> couldn't figure out how to exit WordPerfect.
          >>>
          >>> Word was like a blast of fresh air. (I know it's painful to hear
          >> this, but you had to be there.)
          >>> The menu structure seemed logical and the keyboard shortcuts made
          >> sense. It shortened my learning curve dramatically, and I never did
          >> learn how to use the early version of WP.
          >>>
          >>> I'm not trying to sanitize history, but Microsoft's challenge to
          >> compare the two was evil genius at its best. Word was a better
          >> product
          >> by far, and WordPerfect didn't do anythiing about that until it
          >> was too
          >> late, so they brought the lawyers in.
          >>> __._

          > --
          > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
          > 616 Liberty Street Martinsville, Va 24112-1809
          > Phone: 276-632-5045 Cell: 276-732-7781 Fax: 276-632-0868

          “No dark sarcasm in the classroom”
          --Roger Waters, “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2”
          from Pink Floyd, The Wall
          Rick Albright
          logres@...