Re: [wpmac] Corel Bought Out

  • geoffrey mendelson
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 28, 2009
      On Nov 28, 2009, at 8:55 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

      > Corel, of course, is the developer of WordPerfect.

      Only sort of. Word Perfect was developed by Satellite Software Inc, of
      Orem Utah. When Word Perfect became their most famous product (does
      anyone remember any others?, I only remember Data Perfect), they
      changed the name of the company to WordPerfect, Inc.

      When some suit figured that since over 50% of their expenses were the
      toll free support numbers (this is before outsourcing), they decided
      to start charging for support. Sales plummeted and eventually they
      sold off their holdings. Corel bought them.

      WordPerfect had versions for many systems, including Windows, Mac,
      UNIX (several flavors) and Linux. Eventually they dropped most of
      them, and gave them away for a while. The most notable were the Linux
      and the Mac Versions. They no longer give them away, but do not stop
      anyone else from distributing the Mac version.

      They were actively supporting a Windows version.

      Geoff.

      --
      geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
      Jerusalem Israel geoffreymendelson@...
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 28, 2009
        Does this offer any hopes that they might develop or sell to someone
        willing to develop an updated WordPerfect for Mac? One can dream!

        Cydne
        --
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
        moments that take our breath away.

        On Nov 28, 2009, at 12:55 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

        > Corel Holdings scoops up cash-strapped Corel Corp
        > <http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/11/26/
        > corel_holdings_buys_corel_corp/>
        > Corel was bought out by its majority investor, Vector Capital.
        >
        > Corel, of course, is the developer of WordPerfect.

        > Randy B. Singer
        > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
        >
        > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
        > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      • Randy B. Singer
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 29, 2009
          On Nov 28, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Cydne wrote:

          > Does this offer any hopes that they might develop or sell to someone
          > willing to develop an updated WordPerfect for Mac? One can dream!

          There hasn't been any hint of this in the news.

          I would assume that there will be very little in the way of new
          development for a while until the company can get back into the
          black. Keep in mind that for a while now Corel has been
          concentrating on graphics programs, rather than on WordPerfect. For
          instance, Corel now owns Painter, which is the premier natural media
          art program for both Windows and the Macintosh.

          One can hope that somewhere down the line the new ownership can be
          convinced of the business case for returning WordPerfect to the
          Macintosh. Especially given how the Macintosh now dominates sales of
          personal computers for the home-user market. However, I'm not sure
          that most of us will live long enough to see Corel's corporate memory
          fade for how Apple pulled the rug out from under them and
          discontinued OpenDoc after Corel invested a ton of money into
          developing an OpenDoc version of WordPerfect. There may not be a new
          version of WordPerfect for the Macintosh until there is no longer any
          memory of Corel's previous relationship with Apple.

          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 29, 2009
            It didn't help that Microsoft was flooding the market with free
            versions of Word, either.

            On Nov 28, 2009, at 2:03 PM, geoffrey mendelson wrote:

            > When some suit figured that since over 50% of their expenses were the
            > toll free support numbers (this is before outsourcing), they decided
            > to start charging for support. Sales plummeted and eventually they
            > sold off their holdings. Corel bought them.

          • Chad Smith
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 29, 2009
              What are you talking about? When did Microsoft ever give away Word for free?

              Last I checked it was still over $100 as a stand alone.

              I know it's pirateable. But that's not the same as MS giving it away.

              Works is very different than Office - and doesn't come with Word
              anymore and haven't for quite some time.

              -Chad W Smith
              http://www.chadwsmith.com

              --
              - Chad W Smith
              http://www.chadwsmith.com/
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 30, 2009
                Randy:

                What do you mean by "the premier natural media art program"?

                "Art" programs (generally) 'fall into' one of three categories:
                Painting, Drawing, or Illustration.

                Scanning and/or Digital Picture "retouching", BTW, are 'pixel editing' (paint) applications that happen to involve 'true color' depths.

                Just curious.

                Sincerely,

                Thomas Clayton

                > On Nov 28, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Cydne wrote:
                >
                > > Does this offer any hopes that they might develop or
                > sell to someone
                > > willing to develop an updated WordPerfect for Mac? One
                > can dream!

                > There hasn't been any hint of this in the news.

                ... <snip> ...

                > black. Keep in mind that for a while now Corel has
                > been
                > concentrating on graphics programs, rather than on
                > WordPerfect. For
                > instance, Corel now owns Painter, which is the premier
                > natural media
                > art program for both Windows and the Macintosh.

                ... <snip> ...

                > Randy B. Singer
                > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th
                > editions)
                >
                > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
                > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
              • Doug Auwarter
                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 30, 2009
                  At the beginning. It may have been the first time they did something
                  like that, and the practice ultimately got them in all kinds of hot
                  water. I don't remember the details - I'm not a very enthusiastic
                  Microsoft historian, but they did it several times to different
                  software companies before various governments decided to put a stop
                  to it.
                  Best,
                  Doug

                  On Nov 30, 2009, at 12:52 AM, Chad Smith wrote:

                  > What are you talking about? When did Microsoft ever give away Word
                  > for free?

                • Tom Wyrick
                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 30, 2009
                    I think he means Painter is the most popular software package that allows painting on the computer using tools that simulate traditional art products (chalk, watercolor paints, crayons, pencils, etc.).

                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 30, 2009
                      I've been following the word-processing market closely since 1985, and this is the first time I've ever heard of that episode, so I'd be very interested to learn any more details.

                      There was certainly an episode in the '80s when Microsoft was giving away copies of Excel (not Word) but it's news to me that any government got upset. Perhaps you're thinking of the bundling of Internet Explorer with Windows?

                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Doug Auwarter <dauwarter@...> wrote:

                      > At the beginning. It may have been the first time they did something
                      > like that, and the practice ultimately got them in all kinds of hot
                      > water. I don't remember the details - I'm not a very enthusiastic
                      > Microsoft historian, but they did it several times to different
                      > software companies before various governments decided to put a stop
                      > to it.
                      > Best,
                      > Doug
                      >
                      > On Nov 30, 2009, at 12:52 AM, Chad Smith wrote:
                      >
                      > > What are you talking about? When did Microsoft ever give away Word
                      > > for free?

                    • Kevin Jaques, B.A., LL.B.
                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 30, 2009
                        I thought openDoc was brilliant! But I wasn't aware that anybody
                        developed for it. No doubt they would be mad. But surely somewhere on
                        an Apple Back Burner is the notion of bringing openDoc into OS X. That
                        would be awesome. If they did, and sent a nice apology, then we could
                        hope.

                        > Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@... randybrucesinger
                        > Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:29 am (PST)
                        >
                        > On Nov 28, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Cydne wrote:
                        >
                        > > Does this offer any hopes that they might develop or sell to someone
                        > > willing to develop an updated WordPerfect for Mac? One can dream!
                        >
                        > ...However, I'm not sure
                        > that most of us will live long enough to see Corel's corporate memory
                        > fade for how Apple pulled the rug out from under them and
                        > discontinued OpenDoc after Corel invested a ton of mone....
                        --
                        Sincerely

                        Kevin Jaques, B.A., LL.B.
                        of the
                        Jaques Law Office

                        2912 Rae Street
                        Regina, Saskatchewan
                        Canada, S4S 1R5

                        T: 306-359-3041
                        F: 306-525-4173

                        visit our web site at http://www.hierlaw.com
                      • geoffrey mendelson
                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 30, 2009
                          On Nov 30, 2009, at 5:54 PM, em315 wrote:

                          > I've been following the word-processing market closely since 1985,
                          > and this is the first time I've ever heard of that episode, so I'd
                          > be very interested to learn any more details.
                          >
                          > There was certainly an episode in the '80s when Microsoft was giving
                          > away copies of Excel (not Word) but it's news to me that any
                          > government got upset. Perhaps you're thinking of the bundling of
                          > Internet Explorer with Windows?

                          The only time I ever heard of it was when someone I knew found a
                          Microsoft Mouse, new in the box, in a junk bin at a computer store for
                          $25, marked down from over $100. Included with it was version 1.0 of
                          Word for the PC. It just so happened that it was at the time where
                          Microsoft had just released a new version of Word (Word for Windows
                          4?) and anyone who had bought an older version in the last 30 days
                          could get the latest one for free. They sent in the
                          paperwork and got it.

                          Note that when they came out, WordPerfect for Windows 5.1 and later
                          5.2, were so badly done that no one would in their right mind use them.

                          Geoff.
                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 30, 2009
                            Here's an entry from Wikipedia (not that it's an uncompromised
                            authority):

                            While WordPerfect retained a majority of the retail shelf sales of
                            word processors, Microsoft gained market share by including Word for
                            Windows in its Windows product on new PCs. Microsoft gave discounts
                            for Windows to OEMs who included Word on their PCs. When new PC
                            buyers found Word installed on their new PC, Word began to dominate
                            market share of desktop word processing. Among the remaining avid
                            users of WordPerfect are many law firms and academics who favor the
                            WordPerfect features such as macros and reveal codes. Corel now
                            caters to these markets, with, for example, a major sale to the
                            United States Department of Justice in 2005 [2]. In November 2004,
                            Novell filed an antitrust lawsuit against Microsoft for alleged anti-
                            competitive behavior (viz, tying Word to sales of Windows) that
                            Novell claims led to loss of WordPerfect market share [3].

                            I do know that at that time, some people received coupons to get a
                            free copy, and that it was also included for free with an issue of PC
                            magazine. This was at the same time that Microsoft was attempting to
                            buy software developers that it wanted and if attempts were stalling,
                            they'd threaten to put out a similar product and sell it for next to
                            nothing or give it away for free.

                            I'm not Microsoft bashing; I use their products myself. But there
                            were certainly some dark days in the company's past that I'm sure
                            they regret.

                            Best,
                            Doug

                            On Nov 30, 2009, at 9:54 AM, em315 wrote:

                            > I've been following the word-processing market closely since 1985,
                            > and this is the first time I've ever heard of that episode, so I'd
                            > be very interested to learn any more details.
                            >
                            > There was certainly an episode in the '80s when Microsoft was
                            > giving away copies of Excel (not Word) but it's news to me that any
                            > government got upset. Perhaps you're thinking of the bundling of
                            > Internet Explorer with Windows?
                            >
                            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Doug Auwarter
                            > <dauwarter@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > At the beginning. It may have been the first time they did something
                            > > like that, and the practice ultimately got them in all kinds of hot
                            > > water. I don't remember the details - I'm not a very enthusiastic
                            > > Microsoft historian, but they did it several times to different
                            > > software companies before various governments decided to put a stop
                            > > to it.
                            > > Best,
                            > > Doug
                            > >
                            > > On Nov 30, 2009, at 12:52 AM, Chad Smith wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > What are you talking about? When did Microsoft ever give away Word
                            > > > for free?

                          • Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.
                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 30, 2009
                              I just tried Painter Demo and was able to cure Cat eye in a recent
                              digital Picture of my cat. A lot of programs have Red eye for people.
                              But it you ever take a picture of a cat they have green or actually opal
                              (greenish blue Eye) most software is useless for cats.

                              Tom Wyrick wrote:

                              > I think he means Painter is the most popular software package that
                              > allows painting on the computer using tools that simulate traditional
                              > art products (chalk, watercolor paints, crayons, pencils, etc.).
                              >
                              > On Nov 30, 2009, at 3:49 AM, topcatdrc wrote:
                              >
                              > > Randy:
                              > >
                              > > What do you mean by "the premier natural media art program"?
                              > >
                              > > "Art" programs (generally) 'fall into' one of three categories:
                              > > Painting, Drawing, or Illustration.
                              > >
                              > > Scanning and/or Digital Picture "retouching", BTW, are 'pixel
                              > editing' (paint) applications that happen to involve 'true color' depths.
                              > >
                              > > Just curious.
                              > >
                              > > Sincerely,
                              > >
                              > > Thomas Clayton

                              Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
                              616 Liberty Street Martinsville, Va 24112-1809
                              Phone: 276-632-5045 Cell: 276-732-7781 Fax: 276-632-0868
                              http://www.phillipmjones.net http://www.vpea.org
                              mailto:pjones1@...
                            • Angela Kessler
                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 30, 2009
                                I remember when Microsoft was giving Word away, but I can't produce any documentation, just my memory. And for the record, I didn't think there was anything wrong with WP 5.1/5.2 for Windows; it was certainly a lot better than Word ever has been, IMHO.

                                Jerusalem Israel geoffreymendelson@ gmail.com

                                Message 15 of 29 , Nov 30, 2009
                                  I was already writing for PC Magazine in those days - the copy of Word that got given away was a demo that wouldn't save or print, so you couldn't use it for any work. I remember finding a French version in a French computer magazine too. I suppose it's possible to call that "giving away a copy of Word" but it was a copy that couldn't save or print, so there wasn't much that you could do with it.

                                • Daryl Chinn
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 30, 2009
                                    Both WordPerfect and Microsoft gave heavy discounts to educational users—students and faculty at colleges and K-12 users. At various times in my wife's 30-year teaching career at a California State University, you could buy a legit MS Suite for as little as $10.00.  This was available to the entire California State University community (over 100,000 students alone).  I remember we had to print the MS Word 5.1 manual because we didn't have a hard copy.

                                    As a person who worked in the schools, I received discounts, perhaps not as steep, from WordPerfect.
                                    Daryl

                                  • Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 30, 2009
                                      Knowing Bill Gates History as related to Apple, Gates didn't consider it
                                      Dark. Bill and the two Co-founders of Apple went to the same University
                                      and studied Computer Science. When Steve Wozniak, and Steve Jobs decided
                                      to go into partnership together. Gates wanted to get in as well. They
                                      turned him down flat. (Supposed he was a less than average on his
                                      knowledge of Computer Science.) He held a life long grudge and did
                                      anything and everything he could whether it was with full integrity or
                                      not to dominate the Market. and he did. At first using a carrot and
                                      stick approach with Computer manufacturers. (I will help you all as long
                                      as you use my software, if you don't I'll make it tough to sell your
                                      computers, purchasing software from developers for pennies on the
                                      thousands of dollars and so on). And his company does.

                                      I use MS Office myself because I have no choice. I use WP from time to
                                      time. It still handles Envelopes a lot better. TI trust MS only as much
                                      as I need some of their software. Are they honest Hxxx no.

                                    • John W
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Nov 30, 2009
                                        People tend to forget or ignore just how different Word and WordPerfect were, way back then. WordPerfect had the market share, but there wasn't any real competition until Word came along.

                                        Does anyone else remember how obscure the WordPerfect keyboard commands were? I don't remember the WP keystrokes to save a document or to exit WP - I think it was some combination involving the F-keys. (WP never bothered with mnemonics.)  And I think for many commands you had to use  those keystrokes. Understand that this was really early in the graphical interface days; most secretaries and typists really weren't comfortable using a mouse.

                                        I remember having to shut off and restart the computer because I couldn't figure out how to exit WordPerfect.

                                        Word was like a blast of fresh air. (I know it's painful to hear this, but you had to be there.)
                                        The menu structure seemed logical and  the keyboard shortcuts made sense. It shortened my learning curve dramatically, and I never did learn how to use the early version of WP.

                                        I'm not trying to sanitize history, but Microsoft's challenge to compare the two was evil genius at its best. Word was a better product by far, and WordPerfect didn't do anythiing about that until it was too late, so they brought the lawyers in.

                                      • Randy B. Singer
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Nov 30, 2009
                                          On Nov 30, 2009, at 1:49 AM, topcatdrc wrote:

                                          > Randy:
                                          >
                                          > What do you mean by "the premier natural media art program"?

                                          It is a program that approximates graphic art created on physical
                                          media in a traditional way.

                                          The program has almost 1,000 different brushes you can use. Noting
                                          else approaches it.

                                          See:
                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corel_Painter

                                          http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Product/
                                          1166553885783#tabview=tab0

                                          Randy B. Singer

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Nov 30, 2009
                                            http://www.mtmonthly.com/runmac/wp51keys.jpg

                                            On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 12:29 PM, John W <jetlagjohn1@...> wrote:

                                            > Does anyone else remember how obscure the WordPerfect keyboard commands
                                            > were? I don't remember the WP keystrokes to save a document or to exit WP -
                                            > I think it was some combination involving the F-keys. (WP never bothered
                                            > with mnemonics.) And I think for many commands you had to use those
                                            > keystrokes. Understand that this was really early in the graphical interface
                                            > days; most secretaries and typists really weren't comfortable using a mouse.

                                          • Gregory Sigman
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Nov 30, 2009
                                              On Nov 30, 2009, at 12:51 PM, Daryl Chinn wrote:

                                              > At various times in my wife's 30-year teaching career at a California State University, you could buy a legit MS Suite for as little as $10.00.

                                              Are you sure the University hadn't paid for a site license? I purchased Office 2008 for $20 through my employer, but that was only because they had already paid for the license. I just had to pay a media & duplication fee. And sign a document swearing on the grave of my grandmother to never ever make a copy of the media or even use it for non-work-related activities.

                                              Gregory Sigman
                                              sigman@...
                                              Senior Library Associate
                                              Ohio University Music/Dance Library
                                            • Tom Wyrick
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Nov 30, 2009
                                                In my opinion, the relative "friendliness" of MS Word is what really made it take off and kill off WordPerfect, over time. By the same token, it's *also* what motivates some people to swear by WordPerfect to this day. For example, I remember doing on-site computer service for a couple of law firms that absolutely HAD to have WordPerfect, because the legal assistants all relied on complex macros designed by former employees of the firms. Many of their often typed form-letters, they could generate with practically a single Function key combo - including such things as printing the address on the envelope automatically, as long as it was loaded in the printer behind the piece of paper for the letter itself, all in one shot.

                                                Theoretically, the same or similar functionality could probably be crafted into a Word template and macros ... but who wants to change products (spending money on another software license in the process), and THEN have to manually re-code and test all of that?

                                                But those users amount to a "niche" compared to all the students, year after year, who learn how to use a word processor for the first time (and almost always learn MS Word), plus all the business users who don't do enough "fancy stuff" to really care which word processor they use, as long as it lets them type and print. And again, they usually wind up with MS Word because it's offered, pre-loaded, as an option on so many new PCs.

                                                You have to remember too, people are typically buying an "office suite", not just a word processor. Office looks even more attractive when that's the case, because MS Excel is the de-facto best choice of a spreadsheet package on the market for Windows. Corel did try to sell "Wordperfect Office", but with no Excel spreadsheet - they just weren't enough of a contender.

                                                On Nov 30, 2009, at 12:29 PM, John W wrote:

                                                > People tend to forget or ignore just how different Word and WordPerfect were, way back then. WordPerfect had the market share, but there wasn't any real competition until Word came along.
                                                >
                                                > Does anyone else remember how obscure the WordPerfect keyboard commands were? I don't remember the WP keystrokes to save a document or to exit WP - I think it was some combination involving the F-keys. (WP never bothered with mnemonics.) And I think for many commands you had to use those keystrokes. Understand that this was really early in the graphical interface days; most secretaries and typists really weren't comfortable using a mouse.
                                                >
                                                > I remember having to shut off and restart the computer because I couldn't figure out how to exit WordPerfect.
                                                >
                                                > Word was like a blast of fresh air. (I know it's painful to hear this, but you had to be there.)
                                                > The menu structure seemed logical and the keyboard shortcuts made sense. It shortened my learning curve dramatically, and I never did learn how to use the early version of WP.
                                                >
                                                > I'm not trying to sanitize history, but Microsoft's challenge to compare the two was evil genius at its best. Word was a better product by far, and WordPerfect didn't do anythiing about that until it was too late, so they brought the lawyers in.
                                                > __._

                                              • David Derbes
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Nov 30, 2009
                                                  On Nov 30, 2009, at 12:04 PM, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

                                                  > Knowing Bill Gates History as related to Apple, Gates didn't
                                                  > consider it
                                                  > Dark. Bill and the two Co-founders of Apple went to the same
                                                  > University
                                                  > and studied Computer Science.

                                                  Not true.

                                                  Bill Gates was at Harvard, and dropped out his junior year. The Steves
                                                  were in
                                                  California.

                                                  I strongly recommend for histories of this time the following: "Fire
                                                  in the Valley" by
                                                  Freiburger and Swaine; "Hackers" by Levy, and "Accidental Empires" by
                                                  Cringely.

                                                  I do not remember the remainder of the story as described below.

                                                  David Derbes
                                                  U of Chicago Lab Schools

                                                • Cydne
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Nov 30, 2009
                                                    It wasn't that we weren't comfortable using a mouse; it was that using
                                                    only the keyboard was so much faster. Set up your macros and program
                                                    your f/keys to suit your needs and you could execute a command with
                                                    one keystroke while the mouse-user's hand was still reaching for the
                                                    beastie, LOL.

                                                    Cydne....Started using WordPerfect on the Amiga, migrated to the Mac
                                                    with it. Still hoping for an eventual Intel version.
                                                    --

                                                    On Nov 30, 2009, at 7:34 PM, Chad Smith wrote:

                                                    > On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 12:29 PM, John W <jetlagjohn1@...>
                                                    > wrote:
                                                    >
                                                    >> Does anyone else remember how obscure the WordPerfect keyboard
                                                    >> commands
                                                    >> were? I don't remember the WP keystrokes to save a document or to
                                                    >> exit WP -
                                                    >> I think it was some combination involving the F-keys. (WP never
                                                    >> bothered
                                                    >> with mnemonics.) And I think for many commands you had to use those
                                                    >> keystrokes. Understand that this was really early in the graphical
                                                    >> interface
                                                    >> days; most secretaries and typists really weren't comfortable using
                                                    >> a mouse.

                                                  • Daryl Chinn
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Nov 30, 2009
                                                      Probably the California State University system of 19 campuses (there are more now) paid a site license fee.  I say probably, because she doesn't really know, but it seems a reasonable conclusion.  We got the disks, not just a download, and yes, she too had to sign her life away and future grandchildren, etc., etc.  But the point is, the end-users didn't feel anything except a pin-prick of cost, and does anyone or anything complain (or stop you) from Gatesville or anywhere else if you compose a Christmas letter instead of doing work-related stuff?.  I've discovered you can load it onto more than one machine;  however, in this wireless or connected age, MS will tell you that you can't RUN the same program with the same serial number concurrently on more than one connected machine in a network.
                                                      Everyone does it, really (not to excuse or encourage, and I don't mind);  my refurbished Mac came with iLife disks and some printing programs thrown in, even though I didn't expect it or see it on the invoice. To my surprise, I also had a pre-installed then-current version of (Intuit) Quickbooks when I turned on the machine—and it didn't expire.  The marketing and licensing world is pretty labyrinthine.

                                                      Daryl Ngee ChinnPoet and Teaching Artist

                                                      sigman@ohio. edu

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Dec 1, 2009
                                                        back in the day when WordPerfect was popular I used Lotus 1-2-3 not
                                                        excel. Then I used MS-works for Mac which was a direct ripoff port of
                                                        AppleWorks for Apple II. But apple didn't port fast enough instead they
                                                        came out with MacWrite Pro. I used WordPerfect/Lotus 1-2-3, Then
                                                        Ms-Works, then I bought Word and Excel because I wasn't interested the
                                                        rest off the office program. I finally relented, bought Office 2001, I
                                                        still don't use PowerPoint to this date.

                                                        Tom Wyrick wrote:

> [...]
                                                        > comfortable using a mouse.
                                                        > >
                                                        > > I remember having to shut off and restart the computer because I
                                                        > couldn't figure out how to exit WordPerfect.
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Word was like a blast of fresh air. (I know it's painful to hear
                                                        > this, but you had to be there.)
                                                        > > The menu structure seemed logical and the keyboard shortcuts made
                                                        > sense. It shortened my learning curve dramatically, and I never did
                                                        > learn how to use the early version of WP.
                                                        > >
                                                        > > I'm not trying to sanitize history, but Microsoft's challenge to
                                                        > compare the two was evil genius at its best. Word was a better product
                                                        > by far, and WordPerfect didn't do anythiing about that until it was too
                                                        > late, so they brought the lawyers in.
                                                        > > __._

                                                        Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
                                                        616 Liberty Street Martinsville, Va 24112-1809
                                                        Phone: 276-632-5045 Cell: 276-732-7781 Fax: 276-632-0868
                                                      • Rick Albright
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Dec 1, 2009
                                                          Ah, memories. "Back in the day," as my students always like to write
                                                          in their papers, I remember when Lotus 1-2-3 was *the* spreadsheet
                                                          program. I first ran it on an IBM 3270-PC, and that was even pre-hard
                                                          drive. Two 5.25 inch floppy drives. I think the Lotus disk was
                                                          bootable with DOS 1.1 (later 2.0) on one drive, and the data disk was
                                                          in the other. Or maybe one disk was DOS, one was the Lotus program
                                                          disk and you popped it out and inserted the data disk (occasionally
                                                          having to reinsert the program disk). Long before Excel.

                                                          We (the federal gummint) also ran WordPerfect--after we got rid of
                                                          our IBM 5520 word processors with the big (I think they were 7")
                                                          floppy drives. Only secretaries did word processing then, but we
                                                          eventually got WordPerfect (yes, I'm mindful that this is a WP list)--
                                                          I think it was 4-point-something. I well remember 5.1 with all the PF
                                                          keys, then the various Windows versions, and by then I had a Mac
                                                          laptop with a docking station and WP Mac 2.1 on the road, and Windows
                                                          in the office.

                                                          My office was very slow to give up WordPerfect and move to Word
                                                          because so many of our program specifications and other documentation
                                                          relied heavily on tables, and the tables in WordPerfect were superior
                                                          to Word's.

                                                          I remember MS-Works on my first Mac, too. Not only was it a ripoff of
                                                          Appleworks, but I even had the "Works to Works Transporter" that
                                                          converted AppleWorks files to MS-Works. (And before that there was
                                                          Microsoft Multi-plan for the Commodore 64, not a direct MS product,
                                                          but licensed to one of the C64 game companies. The coolest thing
                                                          about Multiplan was being able to reference cells on another
                                                          spreadsheet file and watch that Commodore diskette drive churn to go
                                                          get the data off the disk.)

                                                          Okay, enough of memory lane for me. Back to WordPerfect.

                                                          Rick Albright

                                                          On Dec 1, 2009, at 12:46 PM, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

> [...]
                                                          >> couldn't figure out how to exit WordPerfect.
                                                          >>>
                                                          >>> Word was like a blast of fresh air. (I know it's painful to hear
                                                          >> this, but you had to be there.)
                                                          >>> The menu structure seemed logical and the keyboard shortcuts made
                                                          >> sense. It shortened my learning curve dramatically, and I never did
                                                          >> learn how to use the early version of WP.
                                                          >>>
                                                          >>> I'm not trying to sanitize history, but Microsoft's challenge to
                                                          >> compare the two was evil genius at its best. Word was a better
                                                          >> product
                                                          >> by far, and WordPerfect didn't do anythiing about that until it
                                                          >> was too
                                                          >> late, so they brought the lawyers in.
                                                          >>> __._

                                                          > --
                                                          > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
                                                          > 616 Liberty Street Martinsville, Va 24112-1809
                                                          > Phone: 276-632-5045 Cell: 276-732-7781 Fax: 276-632-0868

                                                          “No dark sarcasm in the classroom”
                                                          --Roger Waters, “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2”
                                                          from Pink Floyd, The Wall
                                                          Rick Albright
                                                          logres@...