System install problem

  • jv414@att.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 23, 2009
      When trying to install system software after configuring SS (i.e., setting the prefs), I get the message from within SS: "This startup disk will not work on this Macintosh model. Use the latest installer to update this disk for this model."

      I get this same message using generic install disks for System 7.5, 7.5.3, 7.6.1, OS 8 and 8.1.

      I'm using "Mac OS ROM" I dl'd from somewhere associated with SS, and I followed the latest directions for the October build to set prefs and create the virtual disk and shared folder.

      Any idea what's happening?

      I'm on a 2.93 GHz Intel MacBook Pro with 4 gigs of RAM and 10.5.8.

      **Actually, using TomeViewer, I can't find a ROM file in the install files on the install disks (except for "Apple CD-ROM"). Where is it? What's it called?
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 23, 2009
        The SheepShaver experts hang out at

        http://www.emaculation.com/forum/index.php

        You'll get much better answers there.

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jv414@..." <jvoelzow@...> wrote:

        > When trying to install system software after configuring SS (i.e., setting the prefs), I get the message from within SS: "This startup disk will not work on this Macintosh model. Use the latest installer to update this disk for this model."
      • geoffrey mendelson
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 23, 2009
          On Nov 23, 2009, at 8:44 PM, jv414@... wrote:

          > **Actually, using TomeViewer, I can't find a ROM file in the install
          > files on the install disks (except for "Apple CD-ROM"). Where is it?
          > What's it called?

          You won't. Originaly the ROM file could only be obtained by reading
          the ROMs from a real computer. By the time MacOS 9 came out the ROMs
          were so far out of date that Apple stopped using them for anything
          except booting. They included a replacement ROM image on the
          installation disks and loaded it at boot time.

          If you want to find one, look on a MacOS 9 CD, which due to
          Sheepshaver limitations should be 9.0, 9.01 or 9.04.

          Geoff.

          --
          geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
          Jerusalem Israel geoffreymendelson@...