Re: [wpmac] Re: Trouble getting started with SheepShaver

  • Dave Schlicher
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 12, 2009
      I have a similar problem (Invalid sibling link, 4, 23), but Disk First Aid keeps saying it's unable to repair it.

      Dave Schlicher

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 12, 2009
        After you quit SheepShaver and open its volume in OSX, what does
        Disk Utility say?

        John R.

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Dave Schlicher <daveschlicher@...> wrote:

        > I have a similar problem (Invalid sibling link, 4, 23), but Disk First Aid keeps saying it's unable to repair it.
        >
        > Dave Schlicher
        >

        > On Nov 12, 2009, at 6:22 AM, John R wrote:
        >

        > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Daniell L. Mattern" <mattern@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > DiskFirstAid runs from
        > > > SheepShaver and finds an error in the SheepShaver volume (Invalid
        > > > BTree Header, 0, 0) which it urges me to repair with OSX Disk
        > > > Utility. Disk Utility does not find anything to repair. Disk First
        > > > Aid (back in SheepShaver) says it repairs the problem successfully,
        > > > but the problem is still there upon Verifying.
        > >
        > > Try using Disk First Aid to repair, twice in a row.
        > >
        > > John R.

      • Dave Schlicher
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 12, 2009
          John,

          First off, thanks for your help.

          When Mac OS X 10.6.2's Disk Utility tries to repair the disk it says:

          Verify and Repair volume “SheepShaver”
          Checking non-journaled HFS Plus Volume.
          Checking extents overflow file.
          Checking catalog file.
          Invalid sibling link
          Rebuilding catalog B-tree.
          The volume SheepShaver could not be repaired.
          Volume repair complete.
          Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.
          Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.

          BTW, I should add that this disk has never passed the startup check by Disk First Aid.

          Any ideas would be much appreciated.
          Thanks,
          Dave Schlicher

          On Nov 12, 2009, at 3:21 PM, John R wrote:

          > After you quit SheepShaver and open its volume in OSX, what does
          > Disk Utility say?
          >
          > John R.
          >
          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Dave Schlicher <daveschlicher@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have a similar problem (Invalid sibling link, 4, 23), but Disk First Aid keeps saying it's unable to repair it.
          > >
          > > Dave Schlicher

          > > > Try using Disk First Aid to repair, twice in a row.
          > > >
          > > > John R.

        • Daniell L. Mattern
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 13, 2009
            For me, Disk Utility says:
            "The volume SheepShaver appears to be OK."
            Using Disk First Aid twice (or three times) in a row didn't help.

            -- Dan

            >After you quit SheepShaver and open its volume in OSX, what does
            >Disk Utility say?
            >
            >John R.
            >
            >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Dave Schlicher
            ><daveschlicher@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> I have a similar problem (Invalid sibling link, 4, 23), but Disk
            >>First Aid keeps saying it's unable to repair it.
            >>
            >> Dave Schlicher
            >>

            > > On Nov 12, 2009, at 6:22 AM, John R wrote:
            > >
            > > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Daniell L. Mattern"

            >> > Try using Disk First Aid to repair, twice in a row.
            >> >
            > > > John R.

          • Steve Kane
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 13, 2009
              On Nov 13, 2009, at 10:12 AM, Daniell L. Mattern wrote:

              > For me, Disk Utility says:
              > "The volume SheepShaver appears to be OK."
              > Using Disk First Aid twice (or three times) in a row didn't help.

              This happened on my system after I had opened the Sheepshaver
              volume.dmg in Mac OS X.

              I quit Sheepshaver, dragged a new copy of the Sheepshaver.dmg from the
              install folder in the Sheepshaver folder, restarted Sheepshaver and
              Disk Utility now reports no errors.

              As long as I don't ever open the Sheepshaver.dmg in Mac OS X the
              problem does not return. If I open the Sheepshaver.dmg in Mac OS X the
              problem comes back.

              Am I not supposed to open the Sheepshaver.dmg in Mac OS X?
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 14, 2009
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane-l@...> wrote:

                > Am I not supposed to open the Sheepshaver.dmg in Mac OS X?

                There should be no problem at all with that. It's the most efficient way
                to copy files to and from the SS volume.

                John R.
              • Alexander Wold
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 14, 2009
                  I, too, have an error noted when disk doctor works, showing 0, 0 block
                  problem. Have for years, on several computers. It has never caused a
                  problem.

                  Alexander Wold
                  Albuquerque, NM