[wpmac] Re: Trouble getting started with SheepShaver

  • Daniell L. Mattern
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 11 7:42 PM
      Update on my first attempts at SheepShaver:

      I was originally working with the 10/18/2009 build and the SS-WP 1.1
      installation instructions. When I read that that build had trouble
      launching (mine bounced once in the Dock and quit), I downloaded the
      10/25/2009 build and worked with that. I already had a
      SheepShaverPrefs file created with the locations of my Mac OS ROM and
      volume.dmg files entered, so I left those files in my SheepShaver
      folder. The emaculation.com instructions suggested that the various
      files could be anywhere, so I put the 11/25/2009 build in its own
      folder. This opened a SheepShaver window and menu bar and then froze.
      What I discovered (through an emaculation hint) was that if the
      SheepShaver program and the Mac OS ROM and volume.dmg files were IN
      THE SAME FOLDER, SheepShaver then launched. What a pleasure to see
      the OS 7 window open on the shiny new iMac screen!

      There is, however, one additional issue. DiskFirstAid runs from
      SheepShaver and finds an error in the SheepShaver volume (Invalid
      BTree Header, 0, 0) which it urges me to repair with OSX Disk
      Utility. Disk Utility does not find anything to repair. Disk First
      Aid (back in SheepShaver) says it repairs the problem successfully,
      but the problem is still there upon Verifying. Practically, this may
      not be a problem. WordPerfect launches very quickly, as does another
      Classic program I use; a third program crashed once but has worked
      since. If anyone has advice about whether (and how) I need to fix the
      BTree, I'd appreciate it.

      John R's upcoming automatic installer for SheepShaver may help keep
      others from making my folder-location mistake. Perhaps it will also
      help my BTree problem. To try the new installation, will I need to
      delete any of my current SheepShaver files to keep them from
      conflicting?

      Thanks.

      -- Dan
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 12 8:22 AM
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Daniell L. Mattern" <mattern@...> wrote:

        > DiskFirstAid runs from
        > SheepShaver and finds an error in the SheepShaver volume (Invalid
        > BTree Header, 0, 0) which it urges me to repair with OSX Disk
        > Utility. Disk Utility does not find anything to repair. Disk First
        > Aid (back in SheepShaver) says it repairs the problem successfully,
        > but the problem is still there upon Verifying.

        Try using Disk First Aid to repair, twice in a row.

        John R.
      • Dave Schlicher
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 12 8:44 AM
          I have a similar problem (Invalid sibling link, 4, 23), but Disk First Aid keeps saying it's unable to repair it.

          Dave Schlicher

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 12 5:21 PM
            After you quit SheepShaver and open its volume in OSX, what does
            Disk Utility say?

            John R.

            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Dave Schlicher <daveschlicher@...> wrote:

            > I have a similar problem (Invalid sibling link, 4, 23), but Disk First Aid keeps saying it's unable to repair it.
            >
            > Dave Schlicher
            >

            > On Nov 12, 2009, at 6:22 AM, John R wrote:
            >

            > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Daniell L. Mattern" <mattern@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > DiskFirstAid runs from
            > > > SheepShaver and finds an error in the SheepShaver volume (Invalid
            > > > BTree Header, 0, 0) which it urges me to repair with OSX Disk
            > > > Utility. Disk Utility does not find anything to repair. Disk First
            > > > Aid (back in SheepShaver) says it repairs the problem successfully,
            > > > but the problem is still there upon Verifying.
            > >
            > > Try using Disk First Aid to repair, twice in a row.
            > >
            > > John R.

          • Dave Schlicher
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 12 5:50 PM
              John,

              First off, thanks for your help.

              When Mac OS X 10.6.2's Disk Utility tries to repair the disk it says:

              Verify and Repair volume “SheepShaver”
              Checking non-journaled HFS Plus Volume.
              Checking extents overflow file.
              Checking catalog file.
              Invalid sibling link
              Rebuilding catalog B-tree.
              The volume SheepShaver could not be repaired.
              Volume repair complete.
              Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.
              Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.

              BTW, I should add that this disk has never passed the startup check by Disk First Aid.

              Any ideas would be much appreciated.
              Thanks,
              Dave Schlicher

              On Nov 12, 2009, at 3:21 PM, John R wrote:

              > After you quit SheepShaver and open its volume in OSX, what does
              > Disk Utility say?
              >
              > John R.
              >
              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Dave Schlicher <daveschlicher@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have a similar problem (Invalid sibling link, 4, 23), but Disk First Aid keeps saying it's unable to repair it.
              > >
              > > Dave Schlicher

              > > > Try using Disk First Aid to repair, twice in a row.
              > > >
              > > > John R.

            • Daniell L. Mattern
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 13 8:12 AM
                For me, Disk Utility says:
                "The volume SheepShaver appears to be OK."
                Using Disk First Aid twice (or three times) in a row didn't help.

                -- Dan

                >After you quit SheepShaver and open its volume in OSX, what does
                >Disk Utility say?
                >
                >John R.
                >
                >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Dave Schlicher
                ><daveschlicher@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> I have a similar problem (Invalid sibling link, 4, 23), but Disk
                >>First Aid keeps saying it's unable to repair it.
                >>
                >> Dave Schlicher
                >>

                > > On Nov 12, 2009, at 6:22 AM, John R wrote:
                > >
                > > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Daniell L. Mattern"

                >> > Try using Disk First Aid to repair, twice in a row.
                >> >
                > > > John R.

              • Steve Kane
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 13 6:30 PM
                  On Nov 13, 2009, at 10:12 AM, Daniell L. Mattern wrote:

                  > For me, Disk Utility says:
                  > "The volume SheepShaver appears to be OK."
                  > Using Disk First Aid twice (or three times) in a row didn't help.

                  This happened on my system after I had opened the Sheepshaver
                  volume.dmg in Mac OS X.

                  I quit Sheepshaver, dragged a new copy of the Sheepshaver.dmg from the
                  install folder in the Sheepshaver folder, restarted Sheepshaver and
                  Disk Utility now reports no errors.

                  As long as I don't ever open the Sheepshaver.dmg in Mac OS X the
                  problem does not return. If I open the Sheepshaver.dmg in Mac OS X the
                  problem comes back.

                  Am I not supposed to open the Sheepshaver.dmg in Mac OS X?
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 14 9:32 AM
                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane-l@...> wrote:

                    > Am I not supposed to open the Sheepshaver.dmg in Mac OS X?

                    There should be no problem at all with that. It's the most efficient way
                    to copy files to and from the SS volume.

                    John R.
                  • Alexander Wold
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 14 12:26 PM
                      I, too, have an error noted when disk doctor works, showing 0, 0 block
                      problem. Have for years, on several computers. It has never caused a
                      problem.

                      Alexander Wold
                      Albuquerque, NM