Re: [wpmac] Re: Trouble getting started with SheepShaver

  • David Schmalz
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 7, 2009
      Ricki,

      I have Sheepshaver running WordPerfect adequately well but it did
      take quite a bit of tinkering. I think I have about five different
      virtual disks from all of the times I tried various sound control
      panels and different versions of OS9. For me, trying to get it to
      work is kind of FUN (I'm afraid I'm just too much of a geek), but if
      it is a chore to you, your other options are much easier to set up
      and very stable.

      If you have an Intel Mac, you can either use Word for Mac or use
      WordPefect for Windows with Parallels or a similar product called
      VMWare Fusion.

      I use Word for Mac, and it's OK. (I certainly prefer it to Word for
      Windows since they changed the familiar drop down menus to the
      "ribbon" where I can’t find anything when I need it). I also have
      Parallels and WordPerfect for Windows running on my Macbook, and
      while there is nothing wrong with it, I find that I almost always
      never use it. Parallels was very easy to set up.

      Of course, you have to buy those products, but there are also a
      couple of other options that won’t cost you anything. One option is
      to use Open Office, which works quite well in my opinion. It has the
      same general features as Word or WordPerfect and can open and save
      files in various formats, and it is a regular Mac program so it
      doesn’t need Parallels.

      Another thing to look at is VirtualBox, which does the same things as
      Parallels (or Fusion) with a few less features, but it is also free.
      You could run WordPerfect for Windows under that.

      If you have a Power PC Mac, you can use Virtual PC and run
      WordPerfect for Windows. On my 933 mHz Mac Quicksilver using
      Microsoft Virtual PC version 7 and Windows XP, it isn’t real snappy,
      but it runs WordPerfect just fine. I found a copy on eBay with
      Windows XP Home, and Windows activated without any problem. Even the
      older Virtual PC version 5.04 with Windows 98 ran WordPerfect well
      for me.

      David
    • Daniell L. Mattern
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 11, 2009
        Update on my first attempts at SheepShaver:

        I was originally working with the 10/18/2009 build and the SS-WP 1.1
        installation instructions. When I read that that build had trouble
        launching (mine bounced once in the Dock and quit), I downloaded the
        10/25/2009 build and worked with that. I already had a
        SheepShaverPrefs file created with the locations of my Mac OS ROM and
        volume.dmg files entered, so I left those files in my SheepShaver
        folder. The emaculation.com instructions suggested that the various
        files could be anywhere, so I put the 11/25/2009 build in its own
        folder. This opened a SheepShaver window and menu bar and then froze.
        What I discovered (through an emaculation hint) was that if the
        SheepShaver program and the Mac OS ROM and volume.dmg files were IN
        THE SAME FOLDER, SheepShaver then launched. What a pleasure to see
        the OS 7 window open on the shiny new iMac screen!

        There is, however, one additional issue. DiskFirstAid runs from
        SheepShaver and finds an error in the SheepShaver volume (Invalid
        BTree Header, 0, 0) which it urges me to repair with OSX Disk
        Utility. Disk Utility does not find anything to repair. Disk First
        Aid (back in SheepShaver) says it repairs the problem successfully,
        but the problem is still there upon Verifying. Practically, this may
        not be a problem. WordPerfect launches very quickly, as does another
        Classic program I use; a third program crashed once but has worked
        since. If anyone has advice about whether (and how) I need to fix the
        BTree, I'd appreciate it.

        John R's upcoming automatic installer for SheepShaver may help keep
        others from making my folder-location mistake. Perhaps it will also
        help my BTree problem. To try the new installation, will I need to
        delete any of my current SheepShaver files to keep them from
        conflicting?

        Thanks.

        -- Dan
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 12, 2009
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Daniell L. Mattern" <mattern@...> wrote:

          > DiskFirstAid runs from
          > SheepShaver and finds an error in the SheepShaver volume (Invalid
          > BTree Header, 0, 0) which it urges me to repair with OSX Disk
          > Utility. Disk Utility does not find anything to repair. Disk First
          > Aid (back in SheepShaver) says it repairs the problem successfully,
          > but the problem is still there upon Verifying.

          Try using Disk First Aid to repair, twice in a row.

          John R.
        • Dave Schlicher
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 12, 2009
            I have a similar problem (Invalid sibling link, 4, 23), but Disk First Aid keeps saying it's unable to repair it.

            Dave Schlicher

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 12, 2009
              After you quit SheepShaver and open its volume in OSX, what does
              Disk Utility say?

              John R.

              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Dave Schlicher <daveschlicher@...> wrote:

              > I have a similar problem (Invalid sibling link, 4, 23), but Disk First Aid keeps saying it's unable to repair it.
              >
              > Dave Schlicher
              >

              > On Nov 12, 2009, at 6:22 AM, John R wrote:
              >

              > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Daniell L. Mattern" <mattern@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > DiskFirstAid runs from
              > > > SheepShaver and finds an error in the SheepShaver volume (Invalid
              > > > BTree Header, 0, 0) which it urges me to repair with OSX Disk
              > > > Utility. Disk Utility does not find anything to repair. Disk First
              > > > Aid (back in SheepShaver) says it repairs the problem successfully,
              > > > but the problem is still there upon Verifying.
              > >
              > > Try using Disk First Aid to repair, twice in a row.
              > >
              > > John R.

            • Dave Schlicher
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 12, 2009
                John,

                First off, thanks for your help.

                When Mac OS X 10.6.2's Disk Utility tries to repair the disk it says:

                Verify and Repair volume “SheepShaver”
                Checking non-journaled HFS Plus Volume.
                Checking extents overflow file.
                Checking catalog file.
                Invalid sibling link
                Rebuilding catalog B-tree.
                The volume SheepShaver could not be repaired.
                Volume repair complete.
                Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.
                Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.

                BTW, I should add that this disk has never passed the startup check by Disk First Aid.

                Any ideas would be much appreciated.
                Thanks,
                Dave Schlicher

                On Nov 12, 2009, at 3:21 PM, John R wrote:

                > After you quit SheepShaver and open its volume in OSX, what does
                > Disk Utility say?
                >
                > John R.
                >
                > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Dave Schlicher <daveschlicher@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I have a similar problem (Invalid sibling link, 4, 23), but Disk First Aid keeps saying it's unable to repair it.
                > >
                > > Dave Schlicher

                > > > Try using Disk First Aid to repair, twice in a row.
                > > >
                > > > John R.

              • Daniell L. Mattern
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 13, 2009
                  For me, Disk Utility says:
                  "The volume SheepShaver appears to be OK."
                  Using Disk First Aid twice (or three times) in a row didn't help.

                  -- Dan

                  >After you quit SheepShaver and open its volume in OSX, what does
                  >Disk Utility say?
                  >
                  >John R.
                  >
                  >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Dave Schlicher
                  ><daveschlicher@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> I have a similar problem (Invalid sibling link, 4, 23), but Disk
                  >>First Aid keeps saying it's unable to repair it.
                  >>
                  >> Dave Schlicher
                  >>

                  > > On Nov 12, 2009, at 6:22 AM, John R wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Daniell L. Mattern"

                  >> > Try using Disk First Aid to repair, twice in a row.
                  >> >
                  > > > John R.

                • Steve Kane
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 13, 2009
                    On Nov 13, 2009, at 10:12 AM, Daniell L. Mattern wrote:

                    > For me, Disk Utility says:
                    > "The volume SheepShaver appears to be OK."
                    > Using Disk First Aid twice (or three times) in a row didn't help.

                    This happened on my system after I had opened the Sheepshaver
                    volume.dmg in Mac OS X.

                    I quit Sheepshaver, dragged a new copy of the Sheepshaver.dmg from the
                    install folder in the Sheepshaver folder, restarted Sheepshaver and
                    Disk Utility now reports no errors.

                    As long as I don't ever open the Sheepshaver.dmg in Mac OS X the
                    problem does not return. If I open the Sheepshaver.dmg in Mac OS X the
                    problem comes back.

                    Am I not supposed to open the Sheepshaver.dmg in Mac OS X?
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 14, 2009
                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane-l@...> wrote:

                      > Am I not supposed to open the Sheepshaver.dmg in Mac OS X?

                      There should be no problem at all with that. It's the most efficient way
                      to copy files to and from the SS volume.

                      John R.
                    • Alexander Wold
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 14, 2009
                        I, too, have an error noted when disk doctor works, showing 0, 0 block
                        problem. Have for years, on several computers. It has never caused a
                        problem.

                        Alexander Wold
                        Albuquerque, NM