Re: [wpmac] Open Office No No

  • Randall C. Wilson
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 7, 2009
      Go to the Neo Office Web site http://www.neooffice.org/. Yes, the
      site is not elegantly arranged, but you can quickly find the download
      through a series of 3 clicks.

      You don't need X-windows installed to run the NeoOffice port of Open Office.

      It doesn't hurt to support these guys. I send them a few bucks about
      every 18 months. I don't actually use Neo Office for anything but
      translation and opening odd files.

      --
      /S/ Randall

      mailto:rwilson@...

      Alternate: mailto:gryndal@...

    • Frank Mitchell
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 7, 2009
        Hello Randall,

        Can you open Word Perfect 3.5e files with NeoOffice 3?

        It says it can on the web site by downloading and installing the plugin
        <libwpd>

        But my WP files are still grayed out when I try to open them.

        Thanks,
        Frank

        >Go to the Neo Office Web site http://www.neooffice.org/. Yes, the
        >site is not elegantly arranged, but you can quickly find the download
        >through a series of 3 clicks.
        >
        >You don't need X-windows installed to run the NeoOffice port of Open Office.
        >
        >It doesn't hurt to support these guys. I send them a few bucks about
        >every 18 months. I don't actually use Neo Office for anything but
        >translation and opening odd files.

        -- Frank Mitchell, Scottsdale, Arizona
      • Xelaenil
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 8, 2009
          OpenOffice 3.0 stopped using the X11 environment and now it runs natively on macs. If you type www.openoffice.org and select the option I WANT TO DOWNLOAD OPENOFFICE.ORG the link gives you the latest 3.1.1 download. And that runs natively on macs. I have not tried opening worsperfect files on it yet. But everything else works, including word 2007 documents

          ********Sent from my iPhone********

          On Oct 7, 2009, at 9:43 AM, John Rehwinkel <jrehwin@...> wrote:

          I went to open office site and they wanted be to pay to join open
          Office
          community three times Finally I found a link to just the download
          section. Come to find out on my PPC I need to install X11 in order to
          run it.

          Yes, OpenOffice was developed to run under X11 on Unix machines. X11
          is available on your install CDs, Apple did a really nice job with it,
          it lets you run X11 apps with as Mac-like appearance as practical.

          However, you can search for NeoOffice/J, which is an Aqua port of
          OpenOffice that runs on Macs without needing X11, and the UI is a
          little more what you're used to.

          – John, from the other side of Snicker's Gap from you.

        • Frank Mitchell
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 8, 2009
            Hello Xelaenil

            >OpenOffice 3.0 stopped using the X11 environment and now it runs
            >natively on macs.

            Provided the Mac has an Intel processor, I believe.

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 8, 2009
              Hello Randall,

              Never mind! I just found that I can open my old WP files in NeoOffice by
              using Get Info > Open With.

              Frank

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 8, 2009
                I think that is correct. :)