Re: [wpmac] Open Office No No

  • John Rehwinkel
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 7, 2009
      > I went to open office site and they wanted be to pay to join open
      > Office
      > community three times Finally I found a link to just the download
      > section. Come to find out on my PPC I need to install X11 in order to
      > run it.

      Yes, OpenOffice was developed to run under X11 on Unix machines. X11
      is available on your install CDs, Apple did a really nice job with it,
      it lets you run X11 apps with as Mac-like appearance as practical.

      However, you can search for NeoOffice/J, which is an Aqua port of
      OpenOffice that runs on Macs without needing X11, and the UI is a
      little more what you're used to.

      – John, from the other side of Snicker's Gap from you.
    • Randall C. Wilson
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 7, 2009
        Go to the Neo Office Web site http://www.neooffice.org/. Yes, the
        site is not elegantly arranged, but you can quickly find the download
        through a series of 3 clicks.

        You don't need X-windows installed to run the NeoOffice port of Open Office.

        It doesn't hurt to support these guys. I send them a few bucks about
        every 18 months. I don't actually use Neo Office for anything but
        translation and opening odd files.

        --
        /S/ Randall

        mailto:rwilson@...

        Alternate: mailto:gryndal@...

      • Frank Mitchell
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 7, 2009
          Hello Randall,

          Can you open Word Perfect 3.5e files with NeoOffice 3?

          It says it can on the web site by downloading and installing the plugin
          <libwpd>

          But my WP files are still grayed out when I try to open them.

          Thanks,
          Frank

          >Go to the Neo Office Web site http://www.neooffice.org/. Yes, the
          >site is not elegantly arranged, but you can quickly find the download
          >through a series of 3 clicks.
          >
          >You don't need X-windows installed to run the NeoOffice port of Open Office.
          >
          >It doesn't hurt to support these guys. I send them a few bucks about
          >every 18 months. I don't actually use Neo Office for anything but
          >translation and opening odd files.

          -- Frank Mitchell, Scottsdale, Arizona
        • Xelaenil

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 8, 2009
              Hello Xelaenil

              >OpenOffice 3.0 stopped using the X11 environment and now it runs
              >natively on macs.

              Provided the Mac has an Intel processor, I believe.

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 8, 2009
                Hello Randall,

                Never mind! I just found that I can open my old WP files in NeoOffice by
                using Get Info > Open With.

                Frank

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 8, 2009
                  I think that is correct. :)