Re: [wpmac] Re: Abiword

  • geoffrey mendelson
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2009
      On Oct 5, 2009, at 1:58 PM, em315 wrote:

      > Old versions of AbiWord are available here (found in two seconds
      > through a Google search for the words: abiword mac old versions)
      >
      > http://mac.oldversion.com/AbiWord.html

      They are old versions, but not OLD ENOUGH. I found them too. :-(

      It looks like when a public domain filter came out, they dropped the
      code in AbiWord to do it, and used the filter instead (around 2.20,
      you can find it on the filter website which I posted a link to
      earlier). However it looks like someone put the effort into making the
      conversion for reading files, but no one has put the effort into going
      the other way.

      Geoff.

      --
      geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
      Jerusalem Israel geoffreymendelson@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2009
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson@...> wrote:

        > > Old versions of AbiWord are available here (found in two seconds
        > > through a Google search for the words: abiword mac old versions)
        > >
        > > http://mac.oldversion.com/AbiWord.html
        >
        > They are old versions, but not OLD ENOUGH. I found them too. :-(
        >
        > It looks like when a public domain filter came out, they dropped the
        > code in AbiWord to do it, and used the filter instead (around 2.20,
        > you can find it on the filter website which I posted a link to
        > earlier). However it looks like someone put the effort into making the
        > conversion for reading files, but no one has put the effort into going
        > the other way.

        I found the Windows version of AbiWord 1.0.3. It imports WP files, but it doesn't export in WP format. That may or may not tell anything about the Mac version.