Abiword

  • chuckewe
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2009
      Does anyone have a copy of Abiword from before exporting to WPD was disabled?

      Does anyone know why it was disabled?

      Are there chances of any of the mac commercial, shareware or freeware programs that currently open WPD to export to WPD?
    • geoffrey mendelson
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2009
        On Oct 5, 2009, at 12:05 AM, chuckewe wrote:

        > Does anyone have a copy of Abiword from before exporting to WPD was
        > disabled?
        >
        > Does anyone know why it was disabled?
        >
        > Are there chances of any of the mac commercial, shareware or
        > freeware programs that currently open WPD to export to WPD?

        This may have something to do with it:

        http://libwpd.sourceforge.net/

        Geoff.
        --
        geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
        Jerusalem Israel geoffreymendelson@...
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2009
          Old versions of AbiWord are available here (found in two seconds through a Google search for the words: abiword mac old versions)

          http://mac.oldversion.com/AbiWord.html

          Are you certain that an old version allowed you to export to WPD? I tried one of the early versions on the site, and couldn't find an option to export to WPD. If you find one that does the job, it would be a great help if you could let us know.

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2009
            On Oct 5, 2009, at 1:58 PM, em315 wrote:

            > Old versions of AbiWord are available here (found in two seconds
            > through a Google search for the words: abiword mac old versions)
            >
            > http://mac.oldversion.com/AbiWord.html

            They are old versions, but not OLD ENOUGH. I found them too. :-(

            It looks like when a public domain filter came out, they dropped the
            code in AbiWord to do it, and used the filter instead (around 2.20,
            you can find it on the filter website which I posted a link to
            earlier). However it looks like someone put the effort into making the
            conversion for reading files, but no one has put the effort into going
            the other way.

            Geoff.

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 5, 2009
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson@...> wrote:

              > > Old versions of AbiWord are available here (found in two seconds
              > > through a Google search for the words: abiword mac old versions)
              > >
              > > http://mac.oldversion.com/AbiWord.html
              >
              > They are old versions, but not OLD ENOUGH. I found them too. :-(
              >
              > It looks like when a public domain filter came out, they dropped the
              > code in AbiWord to do it, and used the filter instead (around 2.20,
              > you can find it on the filter website which I posted a link to
              > earlier). However it looks like someone put the effort into making the
              > conversion for reading files, but no one has put the effort into going
              > the other way.

              I found the Windows version of AbiWord 1.0.3. It imports WP files, but it doesn't export in WP format. That may or may not tell anything about the Mac version.