Re: [wpmac] Running WordPerfect on Mac

  • singet@aol.com
    Message 1 of 47 , Oct 3, 2009
      In a message dated 10/3/09 7:54:24 PM, chad78@... writes:

      > But, when people talk about "Classic" in the world of Macs, they are
      > referring to OS 9.

      Got it...when I got my previous laptop, the hard drive of which just up and
      died suddenly, at first there were too many things I could not run until I
      took it back to the Apple Store and they said, "Oh all you need is 'classic'
      and you can run all that stuff. My oldest laptop is also, 'classic,' and
      there aer things on it that I would like to be able to transfer as well. I'm
      wondering if there is any way short of paying Apple over $500 to get some
      unsaved data off my 'dead' laptop. I've been told there are various ways to do
      this without shipping a computer to Apple. It's not that I expect everything
      for free, it's just that I think some of this stuff is outrageous.

      Thanks,

      Susan

    • Dr. Harry Corsover
      Message 47 of 47 , Oct 4, 2009
        On Oct 4, 2009, at 1:56 PM, Bob Stern wrote:

        >> Dr. Harry Corsover wrote:
        >>
        >> I haven't even been able to get Print to PostScript (from which I
        >> could create a PDF) to work in Classic.
        >

        > Have you tried installing the AdobePS Postscript printer driver in
        > Classic? It prints to a .ps postscript file. (Distiller in Classic,
        > or Preview in OS X, can convert a .ps file to PDF.)

        Yes. I mis-"spoke" above. The postscript file is created fine (using
        Print to File), but I've tried this multiple times, and I've never
        before been able to create as PDF from that file (Distiller 5.x just
        doesn't work as it used to, and when I double clicked on the .ps file
        in the Finder, I got something showing the progress as supposedly
        created a PDF file, but then I could not find any such file. I also
        just noticed that I no longer have an Adobe Acrobat folder in my
        Applications (OS 9) folder, but only one in OS X Applications. I
        don't know if that makes a difference here.

        Today I stumbled on a solution, although I still have no idea why it
        works:

        If I first quit ("stop") Classic and then double click on a
        postscript file, it opens Preview and converts to PDF without a
        problem. If Classic is still running, this doesn't work.

        In any case, thanks for your comments and suggestions. I can now
        create PDFs from those old RSG files, and even from some old things I
        scanned in using PaperPort in OS 9 or earlier.

        Strange ...

        Regards,

        Harry Corsover

        --
        Harry D. Corsover, Ph.D., Licensed Psychologist
        Linda G. Azzi, R.N., B.S. <www.corsazzi.com>