Re: [wpmac] Running WordPerfect on Mac

  • Don Bredes
    Message 1 of 47 , Oct 3, 2009
      All--

      Let me second the MacLink Plus recommendation.

      I am a novelist and college prof who has been working for years and
      years in WordPerfect 3.5e and who has just last month upgraded from a
      Mac G4 to an iMac with Snow Leopard (and Pages). On my G4, I have the
      manuscripts of three novels (500+ pages each) as well as hundreds of
      documents in WP that I use in my college courses.

      I was loath to let go of WordPerfect, which is why I had stuck with my
      G4 for so long. After contemplating the Sheepshaver route long and
      hard, I have decided to bite the bullet let WP go. A hard decision,
      but with the help of the translators MacLink Plus (DataViz) provides,
      I have managed, with a big sigh, to make the transition. Loss of
      formatting hasn't such a big deal for me, but what I really miss
      (among many other features), esp. in very long docs, is the Bookmarks
      function.

      Yet Pages works all right, and, so far, I like it better than Word for
      Mac, which I also have. Good luck. I sure wish WP would rise from
      the digital ashes. Is they any hope/prospect of that?

      Don Bredes

    • Dr. Harry Corsover
      Message 47 of 47 , Oct 4, 2009
        On Oct 4, 2009, at 1:56 PM, Bob Stern wrote:

        >> Dr. Harry Corsover wrote:
        >>
        >> I haven't even been able to get Print to PostScript (from which I
        >> could create a PDF) to work in Classic.
        >

        > Have you tried installing the AdobePS Postscript printer driver in
        > Classic? It prints to a .ps postscript file. (Distiller in Classic,
        > or Preview in OS X, can convert a .ps file to PDF.)

        Yes. I mis-"spoke" above. The postscript file is created fine (using
        Print to File), but I've tried this multiple times, and I've never
        before been able to create as PDF from that file (Distiller 5.x just
        doesn't work as it used to, and when I double clicked on the .ps file
        in the Finder, I got something showing the progress as supposedly
        created a PDF file, but then I could not find any such file. I also
        just noticed that I no longer have an Adobe Acrobat folder in my
        Applications (OS 9) folder, but only one in OS X Applications. I
        don't know if that makes a difference here.

        Today I stumbled on a solution, although I still have no idea why it
        works:

        If I first quit ("stop") Classic and then double click on a
        postscript file, it opens Preview and converts to PDF without a
        problem. If Classic is still running, this doesn't work.

        In any case, thanks for your comments and suggestions. I can now
        create PDFs from those old RSG files, and even from some old things I
        scanned in using PaperPort in OS 9 or earlier.

        Strange ...

        Regards,

        Harry Corsover

        --
        Harry D. Corsover, Ph.D., Licensed Psychologist
        Linda G. Azzi, R.N., B.S. <www.corsazzi.com>