Re: [wpmac] Running WordPerfect on Mac

  • Chad Smith
    Message 1 of 47 , Oct 3, 2009
      It's a bit complicated. When OS X first came out, on G3, G4, G5 PPC
      Processors, they included a compatiblity mode called Classic. It was OS 9
      running on top of OS X. However, Classic does not work on Intel processors
      (Core Duo, Core 2 Duo, Core Quad, etc.) - nor does Classic work on any OS
      after Tiger. (Leopard, Snow Leopard).

      So, technically, no, OS 9 running on top of OS X on an Intel CPU is not
      classic. That's why you have to have something like SheepShaver in order to
      run it.

      But, when people talk about "Classic" in the world of Macs, they are
      referring to OS 9.

      - Chad Smith
      http://www.chadwsmith.com/

      On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 4:12 PM, <singet@...> wrote:

      > In a message dated 10/3/09 1:58:53 AM, chad78@...<chad78%40gmail.com>writes:
      >
      > > OS 9 on a newer (Intel) Mac on top of OS X. Then, within OS 9,
      > >

      > Is this what they consider "classic?"

    • Dr. Harry Corsover
      Message 47 of 47 , Oct 4, 2009
        On Oct 4, 2009, at 1:56 PM, Bob Stern wrote:

        >> Dr. Harry Corsover wrote:
        >>
        >> I haven't even been able to get Print to PostScript (from which I
        >> could create a PDF) to work in Classic.
        >

        > Have you tried installing the AdobePS Postscript printer driver in
        > Classic? It prints to a .ps postscript file. (Distiller in Classic,
        > or Preview in OS X, can convert a .ps file to PDF.)

        Yes. I mis-"spoke" above. The postscript file is created fine (using
        Print to File), but I've tried this multiple times, and I've never
        before been able to create as PDF from that file (Distiller 5.x just
        doesn't work as it used to, and when I double clicked on the .ps file
        in the Finder, I got something showing the progress as supposedly
        created a PDF file, but then I could not find any such file. I also
        just noticed that I no longer have an Adobe Acrobat folder in my
        Applications (OS 9) folder, but only one in OS X Applications. I
        don't know if that makes a difference here.

        Today I stumbled on a solution, although I still have no idea why it
        works:

        If I first quit ("stop") Classic and then double click on a
        postscript file, it opens Preview and converts to PDF without a
        problem. If Classic is still running, this doesn't work.

        In any case, thanks for your comments and suggestions. I can now
        create PDFs from those old RSG files, and even from some old things I
        scanned in using PaperPort in OS 9 or earlier.

        Strange ...

        Regards,

        Harry Corsover

        --
        Harry D. Corsover, Ph.D., Licensed Psychologist
        Linda G. Azzi, R.N., B.S. <www.corsazzi.com>