Re: [wpmac] Running WordPerfect on Mac

  • Christopher George
    Message 1 of 47 , Oct 3, 2009
      Hear Hear, Add me to this thread.
      I have loaded SheepShaver ((note the 'h") and echo Jillian's comments
      on requiring an English answer in the simplest, sequential terms. All
      I seem to be able to do is to go to a virtual simulator of an old WP
      (I think 5.1?) which is nice but not what I want
      I worked, lastly, in WP 8.0 and have 10 years' similarly "heavy"
      expert opinions for Court with lots of paragraphs, sub-paragraphs,
      notes, tables of contents etc etc
      All I need is access to them - without having to go to Fusion WM and
      then WP which works but the moment you want to save a pdf or print
      something instantly crashes
      I have even considered (dreaded thought) somehow converting them all
      to Word but cannot find a programme that will actually do this
      securely without loss of some or all formatting
      So I join Jillian's request and add that I am so pleased with Mac
      that I will never go back
      Chris
      On 3 Oct 2009, at 01:56, jilliangm33 wrote:

      > Could someone tell me in English if there is a simple way to do
      > this? I am a writer of lengthy legal documents, a long-time devotee
      > of WP and a recent convert to Mac. I can use word but do not like it
      > much. Worse than that, my own library of documents (at least 10-15
      > years' worth of work) is stored in WP format and now I cannot access
      > it. As a Mac neophyte, I thought I could just buy WP for Mac and
      > that would be that. Unfortunately, from what I have read, it's not
      > going to be so easy. Do I have to do this Sheepsaver maneuver? I
      > dread the idea of being in the middle of my work and having the
      > whole this collapse. But this sounds like it's held together with
      > scotch tape. I am working on the 10.6.1. I will ask Apple directly,
      > but I'd like to know the user's point of view also. Many thanks for
      > the help.

      Dr CJD George
      Director
      020 8874 2013 (Answer 'phone/office)
      07804 801149 Mob (only for current contracts please)
      mail@...

    • Dr. Harry Corsover
      Message 47 of 47 , Oct 4, 2009
        On Oct 4, 2009, at 1:56 PM, Bob Stern wrote:

        >> Dr. Harry Corsover wrote:
        >>
        >> I haven't even been able to get Print to PostScript (from which I
        >> could create a PDF) to work in Classic.
        >

        > Have you tried installing the AdobePS Postscript printer driver in
        > Classic? It prints to a .ps postscript file. (Distiller in Classic,
        > or Preview in OS X, can convert a .ps file to PDF.)

        Yes. I mis-"spoke" above. The postscript file is created fine (using
        Print to File), but I've tried this multiple times, and I've never
        before been able to create as PDF from that file (Distiller 5.x just
        doesn't work as it used to, and when I double clicked on the .ps file
        in the Finder, I got something showing the progress as supposedly
        created a PDF file, but then I could not find any such file. I also
        just noticed that I no longer have an Adobe Acrobat folder in my
        Applications (OS 9) folder, but only one in OS X Applications. I
        don't know if that makes a difference here.

        Today I stumbled on a solution, although I still have no idea why it
        works:

        If I first quit ("stop") Classic and then double click on a
        postscript file, it opens Preview and converts to PDF without a
        problem. If Classic is still running, this doesn't work.

        In any case, thanks for your comments and suggestions. I can now
        create PDFs from those old RSG files, and even from some old things I
        scanned in using PaperPort in OS 9 or earlier.

        Strange ...

        Regards,

        Harry Corsover

        --
        Harry D. Corsover, Ph.D., Licensed Psychologist
        Linda G. Azzi, R.N., B.S. <www.corsazzi.com>