Re: [wpmac] Running WordPerfect on Mac

  • Chad Smith
    Message 1 of 47 , Oct 2, 2009
      OpenOffice.org (that's the name of the software, and the website URL) is
      better, and completely free, (no donation required, or pestered). Or for
      something like $40 - you can buy StarOffice, which is pretty much the same
      thing, but has a few more features, and comes with professional support.

      But - on this list, most people use SheepShaver, which is a program that
      lets you run OS 9 on a newer (Intel) Mac on top of OS X. Then, within OS 9,
      you can run WordPerfect for Mac.

      Or, you could use BootCamp, VMWare Fusion, Parallels Desktop, Bochs, etc. to
      run a version of Windows on top of Mac OS X - and then run WordPerfect in
      that.

      So there you have at least 3 options - actually more like 5. Neo Office,
      OpenOffice.org, StarOffice, SheepShaver+OS9+WordPerfect, and/or
      Something+Windows+WordPerfect

      - Chad Smith
      http://www.chadwsmith.com/

      On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 8:57 PM, Neil Kosh <neilk99@...> wrote:

      > On Oct 2, 2009, at 8:56 PM, jilliangm33 wrote:
      >
      > > Could someone tell me in English if there is a simple way to do
      > > this? I am a writer of lengthy legal documents, a long-time
      > > devotee of WP and a recent convert to Mac. I can use word but do
      > > not like it much. Worse than that, my own library of documents (at
      > > least 10-15 years' worth of work) is stored in WP format and now I
      > > cannot access it. As a Mac neophyte, I thought I could just buy WP
      > > for Mac and that would be that. Unfortunately, from what I have
      > > read, it's not going to be so easy. Do I have to do this
      > > Sheepsaver maneuver? I dread the idea of being in the middle of my
      > > work and having the whole this collapse. But this sounds like it's
      > > held together with scotch tape. I am working on the 10.6.1. I will
      > > ask Apple directly, but I'd like to know the user's point of view
      > > also. Many thanks for the help.
      >
      > You can access your WordPerfect files in NeoOffice ( donationware)
      >
      > Neil Kosh

    • Dr. Harry Corsover
      Message 47 of 47 , Oct 4, 2009
        On Oct 4, 2009, at 1:56 PM, Bob Stern wrote:

        >> Dr. Harry Corsover wrote:
        >>
        >> I haven't even been able to get Print to PostScript (from which I
        >> could create a PDF) to work in Classic.
        >

        > Have you tried installing the AdobePS Postscript printer driver in
        > Classic? It prints to a .ps postscript file. (Distiller in Classic,
        > or Preview in OS X, can convert a .ps file to PDF.)

        Yes. I mis-"spoke" above. The postscript file is created fine (using
        Print to File), but I've tried this multiple times, and I've never
        before been able to create as PDF from that file (Distiller 5.x just
        doesn't work as it used to, and when I double clicked on the .ps file
        in the Finder, I got something showing the progress as supposedly
        created a PDF file, but then I could not find any such file. I also
        just noticed that I no longer have an Adobe Acrobat folder in my
        Applications (OS 9) folder, but only one in OS X Applications. I
        don't know if that makes a difference here.

        Today I stumbled on a solution, although I still have no idea why it
        works:

        If I first quit ("stop") Classic and then double click on a
        postscript file, it opens Preview and converts to PDF without a
        problem. If Classic is still running, this doesn't work.

        In any case, thanks for your comments and suggestions. I can now
        create PDFs from those old RSG files, and even from some old things I
        scanned in using PaperPort in OS 9 or earlier.

        Strange ...

        Regards,

        Harry Corsover

        --
        Harry D. Corsover, Ph.D., Licensed Psychologist
        Linda G. Azzi, R.N., B.S. <www.corsazzi.com>