TextEdit > WP Applescript

  • jrethorst
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 9, 2009
      This will be of more interest to Intel and Leopard/Snow Leopard users.

      I'm not doing a lot of writing this summer, and my poor computer never
      seems to have enough memory, so I haven't set SheepShaver as a startup
      item, since WP is all I use it for. If I have a note or memo to write,
      I fire up TextEdit.

      Some of the time I find myself writing more of a document than I thought
      I would (the curse/blessing of he who talks too much), and wanting to
      transfer what I started in TextEdit into WP. So I'm writing an Applescript,
      to run from the OSX script menu, that will take what's in the frontmost
      TextEdit document, open WP (and SheepShaver if necessary) and paste it
      into a new WP document. If the TextEdit doc is in RTF, all formatting will
      paste as well. This is all do-able manually of course, but the script makes
      it a one-step operation.

      Any thoughts on this? I usually overlook something when I write a script.
      Anything I might be able to add but haven't thought of?

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 9, 2009
        Never done anything like that, so this may be a daft question, but if
        you are working in rtf do you need to tell the script to ensure the
        font is one you have available in the Sheepshaver System Folder?

        Geoff

        >This will be of more interest to Intel and Leopard/Snow Leopard users.
        >
        >I'm not doing a lot of writing this summer, and my poor computer never
        >seems to have enough memory, so I haven't set SheepShaver as a startup
        >item, since WP is all I use it for. If I have a note or memo to write,
        >I fire up TextEdit.
        >
        >Some of the time I find myself writing more of a document than I thought
        >I would (the curse/blessing of he who talks too much), and wanting to
        >transfer what I started in TextEdit into WP. So I'm writing an Applescript,
        >to run from the OSX script menu, that will take what's in the frontmost
        >TextEdit document, open WP (and SheepShaver if necessary) and paste it
        >into a new WP document. If the TextEdit doc is in RTF, all formatting will
        >paste as well. This is all do-able manually of course, but the script makes
        >it a one-step operation.
        >
        >Any thoughts on this? I usually overlook something when I write a script.
        >Anything I might be able to add but haven't thought of?
        >
        >John R.

      • jrethorst
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 10, 2009

          > Never done anything like that, so this may be a daft question, but if
          > you are working in rtf do you need to tell the script to ensure the
          > font is one you have available in the Sheepshaver System Folder?

          Not a daft question at all, just something I would not have thought of.
          Design questions arise: if the font isn't there, should the script alert
          the user? Or substitute another font (which the OS would do anyway)?
          Another question is, since I try to make scripts run as fast as possible,
          would the font check be worth the time it would take, first to gather
          font info from the original document and then to check to see if SS
          has them?

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 10, 2009
            John

            It was the reference to rtf that made me ask the question. If I was
            working in Textedit and then decided to transfer to WP, I would
            probably not be using rtf, so I would expect system font-swapping. If
            I was in textedit and thinking of saving as rtf, I would not be
            thinking of then moving to WP - I would have started that document in
            WP. I'd let the System fix the fonts, therefore.